PDA

View Full Version : Sioux close quarter drill question

Ernie Nyvall
11-26-2005, 9:22 AM
I've been looking in to one of these. It seems there are two of the 3/8" with the ergonomic design... 8000 ES and the 8005 ES. The 8000 is 0-1300 rpms and the 8005 is 0-2500 rpms. Do any of you use one of these and which would be the best?
Thanks for any input.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
11-26-2005, 9:34 AM
Ernie, I have the Milwaukee close quarter drill, 0-1300 rpm, which can be found a good bit cheaper. Of the 2 Sioux drills, the 8000 ES should be just fine for what you're needing.

Ernie Nyvall
11-26-2005, 9:52 AM
Thanks Travis, I've been wondering about the Milwaukees as well, but I didn't find it at a lower price.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
11-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Given it's working environment (LOTS of dust!), I have no problem using the factory recon drill. The front bearing is the main thing to go wrong. Be sure to keep it blown out with compressed air. I see that Sioux has redesigned their model, so it might be worth looking into.;)

tod evans
11-26-2005, 12:32 PM
ernie, the milwaukee drill is made by sioux. these drills are the best thing since sliced bread!! i would probably go for the higher rpm if it where me. .02 tod

Doug Jones
11-26-2005, 12:39 PM
I bought one of those cheap knock-offs from ebay. To date I have no complaints. It has managed to do all I ask of it. At $20.00 and change, I think it's a great deal.

Fred Ray
11-27-2005, 1:38 PM
ernie, the milwaukee drill is made by sioux. these drills are the best thing since sliced bread!! i would probably go for the higher rpm if it where me. .02 tod

I completely agree with this part of Tod's statement. Both drills are made in the same plant in North Carolina. I have one of each - can't tell a nickle's worth of difference except the color. Mine are, however, one 0-1300 and one 0-2500. I strongly suggest the slower speed. Sanding at anything above 1300 rpms is burning up sandpaper if the object being sanded is also turning. Additionally, you get much better speed control with the slower speed because the same travel distance on the switch covers a smaller range of speed. All that said, I use my Milwaukee almost exclusively, not because it's any better, but because it's the slower speed.

tod evans
11-27-2005, 1:49 PM
fred is 100% correct, the slower drill offers more control and also more torque. i had no idea this drill would be used for any other purpose than turning bits of less than 1/4"??????if you intend on sanding or driving screws with this tool the lower speed is the best option by far. sorry to mislead anyone. tod

Fred Anderson
11-27-2005, 2:12 PM
I have a recon Milwaukee that I use for sanding my few turning projects. I think I found it on ebay for about $75 or so. I figure that the money I saved can be reinvested if this one should ever die for another one at the same price point. Given the small amount of time I actually get to do wood turning, this one should last forever.

Fred

Mark Cothren
11-27-2005, 3:05 PM
Ernie,

I've got the Milwaukee 0-1300 and like it a lot. Use it on almost every bowl, as well as some other projects.

Ernie Nyvall
11-27-2005, 5:49 PM
Thank you all for the information. I guess that pretty much settles it. The makita angle grinder it is.:D Just kidding!!! With Travis' help of finding me one with a great price, the milwaukee recon is what I'll get.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
11-27-2005, 8:46 PM
Good deal Ernie, you'll like it. Glad I could help you save a few $.;)