PDA

View Full Version : lacewood tearout

Al Mc Mahon
02-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Would anyone have a cure for tearout on lacewood short of spending big bucks on a new sander? I've tried wetting the surface before planing and taking very light cuts. If I must end up using a filler, which one. I'm quite new to this and any help would be appreciated.

Bob Lasley
02-19-2003, 12:07 PM
running your stock through the planer at an angle if you can. This is of course difficult with long boards.

Also, make sure your planer knives are really sharp.

Bob

Al Mc Mahon
02-19-2003, 1:18 PM
Thanks Bob but I've already tried that. I may have to spring for drum sander. Say, We have an anniversary coming up and the LOML is very supportive of my efforts. This may work out after all. Thanks again

Bob Lasley
02-19-2003, 1:24 PM
like a dedicated woodworker! Never pass up the opportunity for a new tool.

;)

Bob

Dave Arbuckle
02-19-2003, 1:36 PM
Al, "drum sander" is my answer. Wood like Lacewood is why I got one.

I'm pretty sure the anniversary you have coming up is the "Drum Sander" one. Let me check...... Yup, there it is, drum sander. ;)

Dave

Al Mc Mahon
02-19-2003, 3:21 PM
Thanks for the support folks. I think that after 40 yrs. , I deserve a drum sander. The other half may think I need a drumming instead but I' ll work on it as soon as I can get rid of all this snow.

Dave Anderson NH
02-19-2003, 3:28 PM
at as the Neanderthal I am, I have a couple of other suggestions. A finely set and tight mouthed smoothing plane should get you most of the way to where you want to go. You can finish up with a card scraper. a smoothing plane will enable you to take a cut as light as .001" and work quite nicely. I did the drawer fronts for my sharpening bench out of lacewood and hand planed everything and the result were without tearout.