PDA

View Full Version : First Project with New Tool

Steven J Corpstein
11-26-2005, 7:57 AM
I finally took the plunge after months of deliberation and purchased a new General 650 cabinet saw. Absolutely love the thing after building the Jointech inspired router cabinet.

Ken Shoemaker
11-26-2005, 8:01 AM
Steve,
Very nice work... I bet much more is still coming soon from that new saw... Thanks for showing it

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2005, 8:28 AM
Steve.............what a grand triple gloat! 1. the General 650.....2. the new router cabinet/table........3. the craftsmanship to use 1 to build 2......Fantastic work and craftsmanship!

Richard Wolf
11-26-2005, 8:30 AM
Very nice with both gloats.

Richard

scott spencer
11-26-2005, 8:37 AM
Congrats on both! Love the saw, love the router table....have mixed feelings about you though! I'm as green as your saw! :D ;)

Frank Pellow
11-26-2005, 9:23 AM
That.s a great work that you did on the router table Steven! I am sure that the saw helped a bit, but you need to take most of the credit. (I have the same saw, and it has not managed to produce a router tanle like that.)

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2005, 9:34 AM
Great work Steven and nice gloat on the saw. That is one nice router table.

Jason Tuinstra
11-26-2005, 9:54 AM
Steven, I've never used the General, but I've been around a couple. It always seemed like a great saw. I'm sure you'll be making a lot of great furniture with it given your first project. It turned out great - good attention to detail.

Gregg Mason
11-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Wow, Nice work. Congrats on the saw and the great table. Is that your own design or did you use purchased plans ? If purchased, would you mind letting me know where I could buy them.

Great work.

David Fried
11-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Steve,

I'll second what everyone else said! Nice gloats and a great project.

Can you give us some details on the router table. I like the contrast of the colors on the drawers. What gives it that color?

Thanks.

Dave Fried

Keith Outten
11-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Steven,

The table saw is nice but the router table is a beauty. Looks like you outfitted the router table with a nice fence as well and I'll bet it is a joy to use.

I'm with David...more details would be nice.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Nice saw! I sure do like the router cabinet you built...I am about to build one for my shop soon.

Steven J Corpstein
11-26-2005, 1:38 PM
I purchased the plans from Jointech, which is who manufactures the positional fence. Being an ex-machinist, I can't quite get the tolerances out of my way of building stuff. Over the Summer I modified the drawing quite a bit and enlarged the overall size, changed the drawer slides from wood rails to full extension, and the dust collection. I had plenty of time on my hands while I was waiting for my local dealer's sale on General saws.

Started out wanting to paint it like it ended up, but all of my woodworking buddies gave me %#@& for even talking paint on wood. Well I tried some stain after extensive testing on the scraps from the cabinet, but when I did the actual project, the stain looked horrible so off to Sherwin Williams for some of their 'Fired Brick' paint. It is made from Baltic Birch with an additional liner out of 3/4" MDF in the router compartment for sound and vibration.

Thanks for everyone's comments, this project really put the bug into me to do more soon. I'm remodeling my garage now, re-rocking the ceiling and adding new lighting with some additional wiring. You guys deserve all of the credit for my project because if I hadn't found this forum, I wouldn't know half the stuff I've learned.

tod evans
11-26-2005, 1:42 PM
steven, nice job on the router table and enjoy the sawdust addiction. tod

Steven J Corpstein
11-26-2005, 2:27 PM
Give the images time, the website is running on a workstation in my basement.

http://www.datasystemsltd.com/router/

Bruce Page
11-26-2005, 2:55 PM
Steven,
Another ex-machinist at SMC! When it comes to wood working, I find it to be a blessing and a curse. Judging by your spectacular router cabinet, you do to! Beautiful work and the 650 ain’t to shabby either, congrats!

How many hours do you have in the cabinet?

Vaughn McMillan
11-26-2005, 3:37 PM
Great gloat on all counts. (And thanks for the link to extra pics.) I sure could use a cabinet like that...and a saw like that, too. I'm guessing you'll have lots of fun with both of them.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
11-26-2005, 4:27 PM
Steven---Looks like you now have at least two first rate pieces of equipment. The brick red paint looks good, I find it difficult to make BB look good with stain or dye.

Dan

Roy Wall
11-26-2005, 5:31 PM
Steven,

You've got a terrific shop, good machines/tools, and the skills to build quality projects!!

Nicely done indeed - congrats!!

David Klug
11-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Steven in picture 6 you show a drawer that is almost like a cutting board. What do you use it for?

Steven J Corpstein
11-26-2005, 10:15 PM
I use the shelf that appears to be a cutting board to lay my drawing or sometimes I write up a numbered list of the procedure/router cuts in the order I need to make them.

Peter Pedisich
11-26-2005, 10:18 PM
AWESOME! router cabinet...table saw...garage shop, nice work.

Enjoy!

Steven J Corpstein
11-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I spent most of a week of vacation in the garage, machining the cabinet. After 16 hours on a plane returning from a business trip in Brazil the week before, I had a lot of pent up energy so I started the cabinet and just kept going.

Frank Pellow
11-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Give the images time, the website is running on a workstation in my basement.

http://www.datasystemsltd.com/router/
WOW! Now, I am even more impressed by your design and your work. What a great "first project".