PDA

View Full Version : Cream concert on the horizon.

Dan Forman
11-26-2005, 5:24 AM
Word has it that PBS is going to be broadcasting the Cream reunion concert , recorded last May at the Royal Albert Hall. I have the DVD and the band is better than ever. This is not just a nostalgia thing, this is truly incendiary playing. So if you want to see just how good a live band can be, search out the program on your PBS station, or find the DVD and have a go. Cream is Eri Clapton, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker.

Dan

Doug Shepard
11-26-2005, 7:46 AM
Glad you brought this up. I meant to post a heads up but forgot to. Dont know if it's the same night on all PBS channels but in my area it's this Wednesday night.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2005, 7:53 AM
Dan...thanks for the heads up! I have 2 weeks of vacation I have to take before the end of the year or lose............If it's on this Wednesday, I'll take one day then! Thanks again!

Mark Singer
11-26-2005, 8:54 AM
Dan,
Let us know as you get dates and times....Thanks.

Scott Donley
11-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Dan, thanks, The good old days are still with us :) Here (http://www.pbs.org/previews/gp_cream/) is the link to the info for time and days on PBS.http://www.pbs.org/previews/gp_cream/

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Dan.....thanks a lot! Scott thanks a lot too! It's on PBS out of Spokane, Wa on Wednesday evening at 9:00 pm. I'll be on vacation..........reliving my late teens and early 20's....probably have a 6 pack of Bud .........just like then.......the difference.....I won't drink all 6.......:D :D :D

Dan Forman
11-26-2005, 4:09 PM
Here is a link to the reunion website, lots of pics, old and new, and some background info. This is not the PBS site.

http://www.cream2005.com/thereunion.lasso

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
11-27-2005, 5:53 AM
Dan, I replied to your PM, but your mailbox is too full, so I'm posting here as well. Even though I wasn't a real big Cream fan back in the day, I plan to point my TiVo at the PBS concert so I can save a copy of it. It's good to see Ginger Baker cleaned up his act and decided to live to be an old man. I worked for a while with a drummer whose band had opened a concert for Cream way back when, and he said the roadies pretty much had to pour Ginger into the drum set, since he was so out of it on booze and heroin. Apparently once he was on the drum throne, he rocked, but it was all reflex action, since he was far, far away mentally. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up -

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
11-27-2005, 7:33 AM
Vaughn---Thanks for the heads up about the mailbox situation, which has now been cleared up.

I think the lads are all cleaned up now, maybe why they sound better.:D

Jack Bruce came close to death a couple of years ago, was diagnosed with liver cancer, had a transplant but his body rejected it at first, but eventually settled down. I was wondering why he looked so weathered, did a little digging on the web.

Actually, y'all have Tyler Howell to thank, he alerted me of the PBS broadcast. I stumbled upon the DVD a few weeks ago. We had corresponded some time ago of guitars and Mpls. blues bands, so he figured I would be interested in this.

Please give a thought to posting your reaction to the broadcast, I'd be curious to know what you think.

Dan

Mark Singer
11-27-2005, 8:39 AM
I have Direct TV and can't seem to find it....any help I would appreciate

Lee DeRaud
11-27-2005, 10:17 AM
I have Direct TV and can't seem to find it....any help I would appreciateKCET is airing it Wednesday at 9PM. I have no idea if/where that maps into DirectTV's channel lineup.

That's the good news. The bad news is, it's part of KCET's quarterly Beg-A-Thon, so it's a tape-and-scan operation for me...almost enough incentive for me to get Tivo.:mad:

Lee DeRaud
11-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Jack Bruce came close to death a couple of years ago, was diagnosed with liver cancer, had a transplant but his body rejected it at first, but eventually settled down. I was wondering why he looked so weathered, did a little digging on the web.Ah, that explains it: I was a bit surprised by the announcement of this concert, because I thought he was dead.

John Bailey
11-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Dan,

Not having a TV hooked up to anything but the DVD player for the last 7 yrs., I won't be able to see the show on PBS.(I still think of PBS as bandsaws from Wilke.) Where did you get the DVD?

John

bill walton
11-27-2005, 12:32 PM
GB has had a few pretty good jazz oriented albums ofer the past decades. My favprites are "Middle Passage" and "Falling Off the Roof". It'll be nice to see a new Cream concert. I think I'll be looking for the DVD since our PBS station down here won't be showing it in Hidef or DD.

Frank Hagan
11-27-2005, 1:29 PM
I don't have local channels on my satellite (which has the DVR), but have the national "PBS-U" channel. It doesn't list the concert in the next seven days (in fact, it doesn't list much of anything except for Charlie Rose, Router Workshop and a couple of other shows.) No wonder I never watch PBS.

I get KCET from our local cable provider, but don't have the DVR hooked up to it. I'll skip it since its the beg-a-thon, and I won't be able to fast forward it through the begging. The PBS begging is much more irritating than commercials, in my view. Maybe I can find the DVD in a store (once its safe to venture into a store again!)

Vaughn McMillan
11-27-2005, 4:51 PM
I have Direct TV and can't seem to find it....any help I would appreciate
Mark, it's 8:00 to 10:00 PM Wednesday the 30th on DirecTV channel 28 here in the LA area. It shows up in the program guide as "Great Performances".

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
11-27-2005, 5:07 PM
The DVD is available from Amazon, though I got mine at a local store. There are a few interviews and alternate takes on the DVD too. I imagine PBS will intersperse the interviews within the music, and probably leave out a few tunes as well, so the DVD is worth getting IMHO.

Dan

Mark Singer
11-27-2005, 8:11 PM
Mark, it's 8:00 to 10:00 PM Wednesday the 30th on DirecTV channel 28 here in the LA area. It shows up in the program guide as "Great Performances".

- Vaughn
Thanks,
I will have a cool one for you while I am watching;)

Mark Singer
11-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Vaughn,
Bingo!
I found it and I am Tivoing it!

Michael Perata
11-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Cream fronting Paul Butterfield at the Fillmore in '67. A loud, crazy and joyous evening.

Smokin' with Bill in the balcony afterward made it all the more remarkable and the memories are still more vivid than any DVD.

Scott Donley
11-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Cream fronting Paul Butterfield at the Fillmore in '67. A loud, crazy and joyous evening.

Smokin' with Bill in the balcony afterward made it all the more remarkable and the memories are still more vivid than any DVD. That was YOU! If I remember, you were not the only one :)

Michael Perata
11-29-2005, 3:10 PM
The old saw about "if you remember the 60's, you weren't there" isn't totally true.

There are those souls for who the saying is true, but those are the folks who still can't remember, anything.

Mark Singer
11-29-2005, 3:20 PM
The old saw about "if you remember the 60's, you weren't there" isn't totally true.

There are those souls for who the saying is true, but those are the folks who still can't remember, anything.

They musta' been just smokin' turkey maybe more...:cool:

Mark Singer
11-29-2005, 3:24 PM

Smokin' with Bill in the balcony afterward made it all the more remarkable and the memories are still more vivid than any DVD.

I saw Paul Butterfield at the Troubador....Sam Lay, Mike Bloomfield...lots of artists in the audience checking them out...probably around 69....

Buddie Guy/ Junior Wells...the Ash Grove...70

Lightin' Hopkins....70

Albert King

great clubs...

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2005, 1:37 AM
Dan....thanks again for the heads up! Watched the concert. The boys may be better at 62 than at 26! I'd forgotten what a great bass player Jack Bruce is! You can't forget how good "Slowhand" is or "Ginger" but .......all in all a great concert! The LOML bought me the DVDs for Christmas....I'm buying a 2nd copy to send to a friend in New Zealand. BTW....CRS set in.....didn't even bring a 6 pack of Bud upstairs ..........Old age....I forgot...

Rob Russell
12-01-2005, 9:19 AM
Forgot to tape it ... :( :( :(

Mark Singer
12-01-2005, 9:22 AM
Dan,
It was great! I really liked it and it was safer than a shaper or router table:rolleyes:

tod evans
12-01-2005, 9:57 AM
They musta' been just smokin' turkey maybe more...:cool: i inhaled!!:)

Dan Forman
12-01-2005, 2:28 PM
I'm So Glad... y'all liked it! Again, Tyler is to thank for bringing this broadcast to my attention. If you missed it, run out and buy the DVD.

Dan

Tim Morton
12-01-2005, 8:33 PM
Its playing again here in Vermont Saturday night at 11...this time I taped a note to the TV..:cool:

Doug Shepard
12-01-2005, 9:21 PM
Dan....thanks again for the heads up! Watched the concert. The boys may be better at 62 than at 26! I'd forgotten what a great bass player Jack Bruce is! .....

Ken
If you like J.B. you might be interested in his first solo album. I used to own this before I was dumb enough to loan it out many years ago and it never returned. This Cream reunion thread got me searching around for this. The tunes are all on wmv files so you can check it out before buying.
This was one of my favorite albums at one time.
http://www.cdconnection.com/bin/nph-search/VV7wHDbk2fEV.igf?part=820915

The boys certainly put on a great show last night. Not too bad for a bunch of geezers.