PDA

View Full Version : Weird Craigslist replies: What's the scam?

Ken Platt
09-21-2018, 9:43 PM
Folks - Not to start another craigslist thread, but....

I posted in the Free section about a twin size box spring that I have no use for, just trying to avoid taking it to the dump. I got one response from a "Guy Fawkes" saying "what is the lowest you would accept for this" .

Ok, that's just dumb. I mean, it's posted in the Free section. And that's a pretty unusual, famous name.

THen I got another, from a more normal name "Saige Dupont" saying "Interested in this item. Can come today." Seems a little nonspecific to be from an actual human who is actually interested.

So I'm figuring these are both some sort of scam. But what's the point? Getting my email when I reply? Are emails addresses that useful/valuable? Or are they hoping to get a street address? What good does that do them?

I thought perhaps some of the more experienced Craistlist users could shed some light on this.

Thanks, Ken

By the way, anyone in Northern Connecticut have a need for a twin box spring ?

Dave Zellers
09-21-2018, 10:04 PM
Well I wouldn't call myself an experienced CL user but these sound like automated responses to me.

Fishing for a big one. Waiting for a tug on the line.

julian abram
09-22-2018, 8:52 AM
Yes, I've wondered the same about the purpose of these kind of replies on Craigslist. Still not sure of the purpose but am sure it's not good. I've sold a lot of items over the years on Craigslist's and have learned if you do not post your email address or phone number that cuts out 90% of these malicious replies. Only let them contact you through the Craigslist reply button.

George Bokros
09-22-2018, 9:02 AM
Only let them contact you through the Craigslist reply button.

This is the only way I sell on Craigslist. Then to complete the transaction I do it our local police station "Internet Transaction" area. It is monitored with video surveillance.

Brian Henderson
09-23-2018, 4:09 PM
On those rare occasions when I do sell through Craigslist, I create an e-mail just for that sale. When I've sold the item, I delete the ad and delete the e-mail account.

Roger Feeley
09-24-2018, 4:38 PM
George,

I had never heard of Police offering an Internet Transaction Zone. Is it just a monitored parking lot? Or is there more to it?

Bill Dufour
09-24-2018, 5:03 PM
In California it means a corner of the police parking lot with a streetlight and 24/7 video monitoring/recording. I assume the desk Sargent keeps an eye on the monitor.
Bill D.

Myk Rian
09-28-2018, 8:31 AM
This is the only way I sell on Craigslist. Then to complete the transaction I do it our local police station "Internet Transaction" area. It is monitored with video surveillance.

I do the deals in the parking lot of a local gun shop.

Jerome Stanek
09-28-2018, 9:04 AM
I have been to a couple that use the lobby as a transaction zone. One place was a police station fire station combo that you could have an officer or a fireman over look the transaction

Steve Demuth
09-30-2018, 9:32 AM
I have been to a couple that use the lobby as a transaction zone. One place was a police station fire station combo that you could have an officer or a fireman over look the transaction

Last thing I bought from a CL ad weighed 11,000 lbs and cost North of $20k. Don't think it would have fit in the lobby.