PDA

View Full Version : New guy here, Planer question..

Scott Braun
09-21-2018, 10:56 AM
As the title says I'm a new guy here, thanks for letting me in. Been into woodworking for a long time, not professionaly but for myself. I have a reasonable WW shop in a 30x40 building I have. I'm reasonably old and I'm retired. So on to my question(s).
I have a 12 1/2" Delta bench planer, have had it for years and it has done me well over the years. HOWEVER.. Earlier this year I bough a small manual sawmill, I have 100 acres of woods, so lots of trees to turn into lumber, mostly SYP or Loblolly pine. Rough sawn boards need more aggressive planning than my little Delta is capable of keeping up with so I'm looking for a larger new (used) planer . Right now I have a line on a couple within reasonable driving distance and would like our thoughts.

First off and headlining my list is an older Grizzly G1021 15" planer with a 3hp motor, it has cast infeed and outfeed tables and a mobile base which would be necessary anyway. From the pics I've seen it looks good and the owner of it says its up and running and I can try it out if I go look at it. He's asking $450 and is about 3 hours drive.

This Grizzly is the one I'd really like to hear your thoughts on.

The second and third are both Jet planers, one is a JWP-15cs (15 inch $300), the other is a JWP- 160s (16 inch $850) Both look good but I as of yet have not heard back from the sellers so that's all I have on them.

I'm still in the market so if you know of anything else in the Carolinas I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks guys..

Cary Falk
09-21-2018, 9:05 PM
I would be all over the G1021. I have a G0453Z.

Scott Braun
09-22-2018, 9:19 AM
I actually took a pass on it, Just didn't like the 3 hr drive each way to get it.. just started my search so I'm hoping something else comes up.

Mike Kees
09-22-2018, 9:35 AM
Have you heard back on the Jets ? I think most any of the four post 15'' planers are going to be very comparable. Pretty well all are made in Taiwan or China,unless you find an older Powermatic or Delta. Probably not that big of a deal as far as brand goes,I would go with whatever is in the nicest shape. I own a Delta DC380 made in China,I bought new about 10-12 years ago. It has worked really good once I bought a set of good quality knives for it. Good luck in your search,Mike.

Scott Braun
09-22-2018, 9:50 AM
No, I can’t get a response from either Jet guy, hoping I do and if not I’ll keep looking.
And yes I realize lots of that stuff is made in China , I think my 10” LT Powermatic tablesaw is Chinese made and it has done me well for 20 ish years.
Thanks for the reply

Mike Cutler
09-22-2018, 9:58 AM
Scott

One question, and not to second guess you, but why go so small for a planer?
I have the 15" Jet and it's been a very solid machine, but I now have some rough cut walnut, up to 20"+ wide, that won't go through the Jet and it would be a shame to rip it to fit.
Just a question, as I am considering picking up a planer on Craigslist to handle this walnut.

Cary Falk
09-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Scott

I have a 15" Jet and it's been a solid machine, but I now have some rough cut walnut, up to 20"+ wide, that won't go through the Jet and it would be a shame to rip it to fit.
Just a question, as I am considering picking up a planer on Craigslist to handle this walnut.

I wasn't going to go there because I didn't know what the limitation of a 15" was. If I had a 30x40 shop and 100 acres of wood I would be looking for 20" or larger as well.

richard b miller
09-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Scott,
does your shop have 220v? i work out of my garage and the main thing i'm limited to is 110v 20a equipment (which i had to run the 20a). do you have or can you run 220?

Bill Adamsen
09-22-2018, 10:41 AM
Are you in Kershaw, SC? At minimum, I'd be all over that Rockwell 18" wedge bed in Mooresville for $750 which is less than 2 hours away. But like Cary says, a 20" or larger single or double-sided would be more applicable to what you are planning on doing. Something like the PM 24" in Wilmington (segmented infeed) or keep looking for a Newman, Buss or similar.

Brian Holcombe
09-22-2018, 12:07 PM
There is a 24” SAC on
Woodweb for a pretty decent price.

Scott Braun
09-22-2018, 2:24 PM
There is a 24” SAC on
Woodweb for a pretty decent price.

I could find 0 planers on woodweb

Scott Braun
09-22-2018, 2:40 PM
Mike Cutler, and Cary Falk. I don't cut much that big, and if I saw a 20 incher come up in my price range (< $1000) I'd probably jump on it, just figured 15" would cover most things I would do.

Richard Miller, yes I have 220, and if I didn't it wouldn't be to hard to put in.

Bill Adamsen, yes Kershaw SC, I saw that wedge bed but am completely unfamiliar with a "wedge bed" , also am hoping I can get one that I can put a mobile base under so I can move it around and it looked pretty massive.
I didn't see the PM 24" in Wilmington but I'm sure its out of my range, but I'll have a look..

This search is ongoing so you never know.

Thanks guys!

Bill Adamsen
09-22-2018, 3:51 PM
I saw that wedge bed but am completely unfamiliar with a "wedge bed" , also am hoping I can get one that I can put a mobile base under so I can move it around and it looked pretty massive.

Many folks (myself included) are familiar with them because they were a standard in school shops back in the 1960s and 70s. For the size the weight (600-700#?) is very reasonable. Paul Novelli did a nice restore on the 18 Rockwell wedge bed including a mobile base. The video link will show the mobile base he built. The machine is a solid combination of size, weight, and capability. No segmented infeed ... but for rough planing single boards (as I suspect you want to do) not really an issue. While that unit has extra knives, likely you'd want either the grinder (doesn't appear to be included) or a different knife head. Seller indicates a willingness to deliver within 200 miles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnPG0o7XlOw

Scott Braun
09-22-2018, 4:17 PM
Many folks (myself included) are familiar with them because they were a standard in school shops back in the 1960s and 70s. For the size the weight (600-700#?) is very reasonable. Paul Novelli did a nice restore on the 18 Rockwell wedge bed including a mobile base. The video link will show the mobile base he built. The machine is a solid combination of size, weight, and capability. No segmented infeed ... but for rough planing single boards (as I suspect you want to do) not really an issue. While that unit has extra knives, likely you'd want either the grinder (doesn't appear to be included) or a different knife head. Seller indicates a willingness to deliver within 200 miles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnPG0o7XlOw

I contacted the seller to ask about delivery, but it is listed (and confirmed in the video) at 1200 pounds, and I'm really thinking I don't want to have to worry about fighting that guy trying to move it. Cool video by the way. Thanks.

Michael Costa
09-22-2018, 10:00 PM
I just had to turn down a $500 Powermatic 6" planer that looked brand new. He upgraded to an 8" helical. It was an hour from me but I had no way to transport it. Heartbreaker.

Go Grizzly!!

Scott Braun
09-24-2018, 9:02 AM
So what do you think about a Delta DC 580 20" planer?? Had a guy contact me with one of these, its a little far (3 hrs) and a bit expensive (asking $1500) says its in good shape and comes with a mobile base. Waiting for some pictures.

Mike Kees
09-24-2018, 2:09 PM
Scott I would drive 3 hours for just about anything. That planer absolutely. I bought a sliding saw and edgebander from a guy in Winnepeg this may. It is a 13 hour drive one way to Winnepeg from where I live. My shop is full of machines from Calgary which is three hours away. Dont let a little drive keep you from a real good planer. Good luck,Mike.

Rod Sheridan
09-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Scott

I have the 15" Jet and it's been a very solid machine, but I now have some rough cut walnut, up to 20"+ wide, that won't go through the Jet and it would be a shame to rip it to fit.

My question is always "how wide is your jointer?"

That's the limiting factor for me..................Regards, Rod.

Scott Braun
09-25-2018, 1:46 PM
My question is always "how wide is your jointer?"

That's the limiting factor for me..................Regards, Rod.

My Jointer is 6" wide. Explain to me please, why that should be a limiting factor.

Jay Michaels
09-25-2018, 3:27 PM
I just had to turn down a $500 Powermatic 6" planer that looked brand new. He upgraded to an 8" helical. It was an hour from me but I had no way to transport it. Heartbreaker.

Go Grizzly!!

Have you considered just renting a Ryder truck with a liftgate?

If you find a great deal on a planer, the $50-100 for a one-day rental would easily be worthwhile.

David Kumm
09-25-2018, 4:09 PM
I can face joint a board twice the width of my jointer so I figure the planer needs to be sized accordingly. It is not practical for me to have a planer over 21" even though my jointer is 16". The jointed side when double the jointer width won't be perfect but it is good enough to run through the planer or sander face down and finished up when the other side is dressed. Dave

Van Huskey
09-25-2018, 6:29 PM
I understand the equal width jointer and planer opinion, which I generally don't agree with in that big planers are still useful even with a 6" jointer since you can run multiple boards at a time, which is especially important for the OP since he is kinda going to be running his own "sawmill".

If the OP is willing to part with the money my first choice would be a Powermatic 225, if not then a 180 or 160. These "rough" planers are just what the OP needs. He could turn his entire 100 acres into chips with any one of these.

David Kumm
09-25-2018, 8:21 PM
In addition to the planers on the machinery exchange on Woodweb, there is a nice looking SCM 520 in MN on CL. The old PM machines are great planers but have some quirks and are heavy so know what you are getting. Avoid the " quiet head " on those machines and only buy an old straight knife machine if it has an onboard grinder. Dave

Darcy Warner
09-25-2018, 8:51 PM
The wider the better, too and bottom even better

Scott Braun
09-26-2018, 7:36 AM
I understand the equal width jointer and planer opinion, which I generally don't agree with in that big planers are still useful even with a 6" jointer since you can run multiple boards at a time, which is especially important for the OP since he is kinda going to be running his own "sawmill".

If the OP is willing to part with the money my first choice would be a Powermatic 225, if not then a 180 or 160. These "rough" planers are just what the OP needs. He could turn his entire 100 acres into chips with any one of these.

Well I'm not looking to turn my whole place into chips! Just looking for a stouter planer. I only do this for myself, making my own lumber instead of buying it. And I have lots of things to spend my money on, cant spend it all on a planer..

Brian Holcombe
09-26-2018, 8:01 AM
If you’re making lumber then face jointing it before planing is a priority. Otherwise whatever goes in is the same twist/bow/cup that comes out...just thinner.

Doug Landphair
09-26-2018, 8:18 AM
Scott, I was in the same position you are a couple of years ago. I had a 13" Delta planer which worked very well but was painfully slow. I had the opportunity to buy a new 15" Jet with the helical head. The difference is night and day! The Jet is so much quieter, faster and easier to use. With 3 hp there's plenty of power. And I love the smooth cut of the helical head!

I would say that almost anything in this size is going to make a big difference in your woodworking. As others have pointed out the brand may not be as important since many of these machines are made Tiawan.

As for 15" or 20" that's a question only you can answer. If you're going to go into a custom milling business you may want to go with the larger 5hp 20" model. But if it's just for your hobby needs I think the smaller is going to be more appropriate. But that's your call.

Have fun llooking. Let us know what you decide.

glenn bradley
09-26-2018, 9:26 AM
My Jointer is 6" wide. Explain to me please, why that should be a limiting factor.

There is a school of thought that your planer should match your jointer maybe? I frequently plane glued up panels that exceed my jointer's capacity so I'm not sure that this is what is being said. At any rate, many folks use a 6" jointer forever without issue. Same for a lunchbox planer.

I moved to an 8" jointer which meets my need 90+% of the time. My planer is 15" which is also suitable 90+% of the time. For wider stuff I plane by hand or use my drum sander as appropriate.

To your original question, there are Grizzly machines that have been in service for decades, also the other colors. Many imports are clones of proven designs which helps with parts availability.

Rod Sheridan
09-26-2018, 12:17 PM

Hi, if I can only joint a 6" wide board, I don't need a planer any wider.

I don't plane glue ups, so the limiting factor for me is the jointer width.

If I have an 11" wide board, I'll need a 12 inch jointer and planer...................Regards, Rod.

Scott Braun
09-26-2018, 1:22 PM
Scott, I was in the same position you are a couple of years ago. I had a 13" Delta planer which worked very well but was painfully slow. I had the opportunity to buy a new 15" Jet with the helical head. The difference is night and day! The Jet is so much quieter, faster and easier to use. With 3 hp there's plenty of power. And I love the smooth cut of the helical head!

I would say that almost anything in this size is going to make a big difference in your woodworking. As others have pointed out the brand may not be as important since many of these machines are made Tiawan.

As for 15" or 20" that's a question only you can answer. If you're going to go into a custom milling business you may want to go with the larger 5hp 20" model. But if it's just for your hobby needs I think the smaller is going to be more appropriate. But that's your call.

Have fun llooking. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks, not sure I can afford a helical head or not. My biggest problem with the 20+ planers is footprint and weight. Everything in my shop is on mobile bases and gets moved around depending on the project at hand. I know they make mobile bases for the larger planers, but lots of them are still 1000 pounds or more.