PDA

View Full Version : Antique Mall walk about

steven c newman
09-20-2018, 2:58 PM
The Boss heard there was a room full of record albums at this place....so..now I am sitting here listening while she plays The Beach Boys, at their first concert. I didn't buy a thing today, but..
Might have seen better days? And..
Already have versions of these...there was another room, besides the Boss's now favourite room..
See anything ya like?
Last owned by Lizzie Borden?
Something to the left of here? Have made an offer on it, waiting to here back..
Needs a little work?
Stay tuned, will let you know how this turns out

steven c newman
09-21-2018, 9:47 PM
That Coffin Smoother.....could not remove the wedge, to see if any name was on the single iron......iron's edge was pretty beat up, too...They still wanted $20 for it?

sliding bevel gauge.....lever looks right...bolt is a slotted, round headed thing...NOT what came with the gauge.

Not sure what all parts I will need, to restore that Stanley #71-1/2....besides two knobs...but...a "dowel cutter"?? That is what the sticker calls it...

Malcolm Schweizer
09-22-2018, 5:51 AM
How much do they want for that wood screw?

Rob Luter
09-22-2018, 6:33 AM
Back in the day I picked up a few nice pieces at antique malls. Now all I find is trash destined for the wall at Cracker Barrel or Frankenplanes represented as vintage correct at astronomical prices. There's always the "super rare" Stanley Bailey #5 for the bargain price of $75. Sorry dude. They made a billion of them.

In these parts, we do have an abundance of timber framing tools. Lots of big wooden sledges and mallets, bow saws, huge wooden jack planes, T handle augers, and to a lesser degree big slicks and corner chisels. When you see the number of timber frame barns around here it's not surprising.

steven c newman
09-22-2018, 8:24 AM
IIRC....$65...I'd have to look again...just a 3 block walk...one way.

Jim Koepke
09-22-2018, 4:19 PM
Back in the day I picked up a few nice pieces at antique malls. Now all I find is trash destined for the wall at Cracker Barrel or Frankenplanes represented as vintage correct at astronomical prices.

My luck at antique malls are always hit or mis. My most recent scores have been a Stanley #40 scrub plane marked $40 with a discount. The other was a Stanley #39 3/4" dado plane also for $40 but price was full plus tax. The scrub was bought in Oregon so no sales tax.

An $18 wooden bodied spoke shave also turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

it has been more than a month since my path has crossed an antique mall. Maybe it is time to get out and look around a bit.

One thing to consider is many antique dealers belong to associations or at least network with other dealers. Strike up a conversation you never know when they might be able to offer a lead or just because of your friendliness give a discount. Many of my first visits to an antique store has been from a lead offered by a person at another antique shop.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
09-23-2018, 2:42 PM
Yesterday was the fall outdoor antique sale in downtown Gettysburg, PA. Before getting there, the Missus ans I stopped at the the antque mall in Fayeteville, PA. Came across a twybil! Too rich for me at $250. In Gettysburg, there were more than a few notables: a 608, with part of the decal still on the tote, for $250 also. A 603 fo $130 ( had to really think about this one, finally walked away after seeing a crack at the corner of the mouth, that curled around the side) and numerous saws, mostly run of the mill no-names.