PDA

View Full Version : What is a Felling Axe Good For?

Steve H Graham
09-20-2018, 12:41 PM
I decided to get a maul because I was destroying a stump with potassium nitrate, and it was too close to the house to burn. I needed something to break it up.

From there, I decided to pick up a couple of felling axes, because it just seemed weird to live on a farm and not have a real axe.

I bought an old Plumb single-bitted axe on Ebay, and I hung it on a handle from the hardware store. Yesterday I cut a small oak with it to see if the head was secure.

I had forgotten how unpleasant chopping wood (and all other forms of exercise) is. I'm actually considering using the axe in my live oak eradication program simply because of the workout it gives me.

Now I have a question: is a felling axe really good for anything? What can I do with it that a chainsaw won't do better? I know there has to be something.

My work with trees is limited to cutting and burning. I'm not turning my own trees into projects, unless ashes constitute a project.

Zach Dillinger
09-20-2018, 1:51 PM
Well, when you've dulled your last chain on a hidden bit of fence post, run out of bar oil, or the gas can is dry, the felling axe will still work. That's about it. If you have a dedicated purpose for the work, you don't enjoy axe work,and how it gets done isn't a concern, I can't see why anyone would pick up an axe and not a chainsaw.

Jim Koepke
09-20-2018, 2:37 PM
One of my axes is put to work right along side the chainsaw when cutting firewood.

Its first job is often marking the log. There is a line drawn on the handle so my desired size for firewood can be quickly marked on a log with the axe.

Once the wood is cut, instead of having to bend down to pick it up, the axe is swung into the end. This allows me to use the axe to pick up the cut piece and set it in the back of my truck without the wear and tear on my old back.

Splitting wood with an axe instead of a maul can be relaxing or invigorating. Don't ask me why, but some of the members of the fairer sex are mesmerized by the sight of a man chopping wood.

jtk

Bob Glenn
09-20-2018, 3:46 PM
I keep my felling ax around because it was once used by Abraham Lincoln. It is very old but in pretty good shape. The handle has been replaced three times, but the head has only been changed once.

Paul Bent
09-20-2018, 3:50 PM
I've never seen a chainsaw throwing contest although I bet it would make for great TV. So there is that.

James Pallas
09-21-2018, 8:09 AM
To get your chainsaw loose after you have committed some foolishness.
jim

Will Boulware
09-21-2018, 10:01 AM
To get your chainsaw loose after you have committed some foolishness.
jim

Nah, you keep an extra bar and chain with you for that purpose. Now if you get the SECOND one stuck.....

Lee Schierer
09-21-2018, 12:09 PM
I keep my felling ax around because it was once used by Abraham Lincoln. It is very old but in pretty good shape. The handle has been replaced three times, but the head has only been changed once.

Wouldn't that make it a new axe, never used by good old Abe?

Jason Martin Winnipeg
09-21-2018, 1:07 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. If the head is replaced, doesn't that make it a new axe?

Van Huskey
09-21-2018, 1:39 PM

Methinks that was the joke...

I have no axes/hatchets anymore except for the splitting types. If I can't cut it with a chainsaw or a Silky saw it doesn't need to be cut.

Tom M King
09-21-2018, 3:30 PM
Felling axes are good for plumb bob sighting a standing tree, and hitting your felling wedges with.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/44/e3/cd/44e3cdf086286ba65a24b3e261d9e5d0.jpg http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/tips-app/FH12OCT_FELING_08.JPG

Laurent Marshall
09-21-2018, 6:26 PM
I'm sensing a bit of anti-axe sarcasm in this thread :) I like axes, and I like using them, so there's my bias :)

Felling axes excel mostly at felling, limbing, and bucking. Not so much for splitting, although with a bit of skill you can do that, too. As far as woodworking goes, you'll probably find more uses for a small hatchet in the shop. A felling axe can be good for certain jobs in timber-framing.

As far as axes vs. chainsaws -- They are both dangerous, and using either tool safely requires some level of skill and experience. However, acquiring the skill and fitness to use an axe efficiently takes longer (efficiency with an axe is key, every wasted swing is you getting more tired, and less work getting done). A chainsaw will get more work done in less time, most of the time. That said, I get more satisfaction out of using an axe - it's kind of an athletic challenge for me, and like other physical activities, seeing/feeling my improvement over time feels good. My main bit of advice for either is temper your enthusiasm, do your research, get some instruction, and maintain a healthy respect for the damage these tools can do to your body - it only takes a nano-second of inattention, or one bad decision.

Tom Bender
09-22-2018, 8:29 AM
I use a single bit Plumb axe for cutting roots when digging up a stump. It's no place for a chain saw.

lowell holmes
09-22-2018, 9:45 AM
We all know that we must have at least one of each tool, so you need at least three axes. :)

Steve H Graham
09-22-2018, 11:17 AM
I expected a cascade of uses I hadn't thought of, but it hasn't materialized. It looks like felling axes really are not as useful as they once were.

Laurent Marshall
09-22-2018, 9:47 PM
I expected a cascade of uses I hadn't thought of, but it hasn't materialized. It looks like felling axes really are not as useful as they once were.

You could shave with one if you really had too, or open a soup can :P

Joking aside, I wouldn't say felling axes are any less useful, it depends on your perspective and motivations. As I see it, the axe vs. chainsaw debate is pretty much at the extreme of the larger hand tools vs. power tools debate in woodworking. Do you enjoy using hand tools? Do you appreciate the skills it takes to use them and create something beautiful? Axes sort of take a lot of the things people like about hand tools (learning and getting better at a physical skill, less dependence on technology etc) and move that all out to an extreme of risk and physical demand.

lowell holmes
09-23-2018, 11:51 AM
I think we need one of each kind of tool. So I will start looking for an axe.

Stew Denton
09-26-2018, 12:46 AM
Lee, nope.

Like a friend of mine said: "It was my grandfather's ax, it has had 3 new handles and two new heads, but it was my grandfather's ax."

Stew

Luke Dupont
09-26-2018, 9:22 PM
I'm not at all knowledgeable of axes or chainsaws, but I see the two as two completely different animals.

Axes can chop, split, carve, and "crosscut", but they excel at the prior three more than the latter. They're a highly versatile tool, generally more portable and reliable, and don't run out of fuel or make a bunch of noise.

Chainsaws are just saws -- they can crosscut large logs effectively, but they're pretty specialized at just doing that. I imagine splitting, for instance, to be a lot quicker in most circumstances than trying to rip a log with a chainsaw -- but I've not actually tried this, so bare that in mind. You also can't do the same kind of intricate carving and cutting that you can do with an axe.

Now, I realize this thread is about "felling axes", and so we're talking about using an axe for felling trees. And, I should mention that I've never felled a tree, either with an axe or a chainsaw. But in my mind, the axe is still a more general purpose, flexible tool, and excels as such. So perhaps my case is more for "general purpose axes that can be used to fell in addition to lots of other useful stuff" as opposed to "large, specialized felling axes that are too large / awkward to be used in other work".

But it does ultimately boil down, also, to what you enjoy. I work with hand tools exclusively, partly due to space and noise constraints, but also because I just enjoy it far more. I find using machines to be unpleasant: I don't like the noise and the dust, and I don't like the disconnected feeling I have with my work and the lack of skill development that I get with hand tools. I also don't like the complicated setup and extensive use of jigs and guides for any and everything which is required of powertool woodworking -- the unflexibility and specialization of tools and extensive preperation and setup work to get them to do things accurately. And, they're not so portable.

Similar cases could be made as to why one might prefer using a buck saw and an axe to a chainsaw. Efficiency isn't everything, unless that's your sole criteria of measure, in which case, it is. So, what are your criteria? What do you need and enjoy and find rewarding, and where do those different criteria converge?

Laurent Marshall
09-26-2018, 10:22 PM
Axes can chop, split, carve, and "crosscut", but they excel at the prior three more than the latter. They're a highly versatile tool, generally more portable and reliable, and don't run out of fuel or make a bunch of noise.

I'd agree with most of that - except for two things :)

Axes are actually pretty loud. Chainsaws buzz incessantly, axes make a crack or knocking sound that can carry a surprisingly long way. You're hitting a fairly resonant object (a log or tree) with a metal object, and a lot of energy. It's kind of like morticing with a chisel and mallet, maybe a bit louder depending on what you're chopping.

If you've ever watched timber sports, a well-trained athlete in ideal conditions can "crosscut", or buck, a pretty big log in seconds - and if you take a look at Australian, Tasmanian, or Basque competitions, it doesn't take them much longer to do the same job with much harder woods! That said, bucking logs for time is probably the most physically draining thins you can do with an axe - you get absolutely gassed in short order. So, for safety's sake, take it easy and don't over extend yourself :)

Bill McDermott
09-26-2018, 11:31 PM
What can I do with it that a chainsaw won't do better?

- Replace the handle with one that you made and fitted to suit your individual preferences.
- Get that edge scary sharp... with exactly the bevel angle and scandi, convex, concave, single or double bevel or hybrid configuration that makes you happy.
- Read the grain and make a call on how best to attack -- especially when limbing. One swing, clean cut. Boo yah! (You know, the chain saw just goes where you point it.)
- Eat more of your favorite, tasty fuel without refilling the gas tank on the saw.
- Have a tasty beverage after work without refilling the chain oil.
- I always wear chaps, ear, face and head protection with a chain saw. I pretty much grab and axe and get to work (yes, there are safety considerations - but not gear).
- In the back woods (e.g. trail clearing), carrying a chainsaw and it's compliment of accessories and fuel only makes sense for jobs that warrant that investment. An axe is a LOT easier to carry along for what you may or may not find along the way.
- Storing the saw in it's orange plastic case is not as fulfilling as putting the axe in the leather sheath I made for it. Silly, but here we are in the handtool forum.

I suppose it's like the conversation I had this afternoon with a friend about the difference between using my Langdon miter saw and his power chop saw. In the end, they are both great. It's really more about getting the wood cut in a way that suits you at that time and in that situation. I will keep using my chain say and my axe.

I suppose, for me, it ultimately comes down to: ten or twenty quick whacks with an axe - versus - a chain sawing session. Same as four squaring a board by hand or a lot of stock by machine.