PDA

View Full Version : Tapered sided box construction tips

lou sansone
11-25-2005, 10:04 PM
good evening ww's

I have posted some pictures of a serving tray and knife box that I have made in the past and wanted to provide some tips as to how to go about making repeatable cuts when working with compound angles.

The cut required for these boxes varies, but the one shown has a
22 1/2 degree miter with the blade layed over 11 degrees. The edges of the boards will be ripped to 24 degrees. All these angles can make for a big headach when trying to make sure that each piece is the same length. If they are not then the box will not be square and the joints will really show this ( seems far worse than a simple straight sided box.

Since I am not that good a putting pictures right into the text, let me just describe each photo

photo 1 : overall scope of the job

photo 2 : after all of the boards have their first cut done, make the second cut on one board. now you have the desired length for all the boards. Line up the one end of the board with the other board that is about to be cut ( tip to tip)

photo 3 : make the cut just a little long, which will allow you make the final cut

photo 4 : you can see the final cut lines right up with the other board. they are now the exact same length

photo 5. you can see the uniformity of the cuts by comparing all the valleys and hills

hope this helps
lou

lou sansone
11-25-2005, 10:06 PM
picture of finished tray, so you folks know what I am talking about

oh yea ,,, BTW some of my tools don't weigh 2000 lbs
enjoy

lou

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the pictures Lou. They are worth a thousand words. I love the tray. I have thought about making some of them.

Andy Hoyt
11-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey Thanks, Lou! I've made a couple dozen of these things over the years. This one is a reject western red cedar tray that I use to tote stuff between the shop and the finishing room upstairs.

The best way for me to make these cuts is shown in this next photo. And I took this shot for the express purpose of reminding myself what the setup is at the miter saw because I can never remember. It's just like cutting crown molding, except that it's not upside down because I'm doing an inside corner. Blade stays at 90 degrees to table, and saw swings back and forth to either 45s.

My layout process is identical to yours. The worst part is getting a proper joint (that I only use a 50/50 mix of yellow glue and water to make up). After I get a side and an end glued up I then size the bottom which is a raised panel that floats like a door.

Thanks. It's nice to know that my approach is pretty close to the one used by someone who actually knows what he's doing.

lou sansone
11-26-2005, 7:04 AM
hi andy
thanks for the other photos on your version of the tapered tray. You use miters for the corners of your box, while I use " a non- miter" for lack of a better word. The reason I use a non miter is that many of these trays that were made in the 1700's used them as well ( especially the knife trays ) and then nailed them together. The bottoms on the tray is also nailed to the sides. I like your design as well, and they are very handy indeed. The tray that I am showing is about 14" x 22" and I found that I needed to also glue up the ends and especially the base to make it strong enough to act as a serving tray.

BTW I see in the background of your photo what looks like some bobbins. What are they?

lou

Andy Hoyt
11-26-2005, 7:51 AM
Thanks, Lou. In your photo of the finished piece I see a small bead at the bottom. Is that actually the bottom standing proud?

Nope, those aren't bobbins. They began life as simple holders when I making batches of christmas ornaments. Been using 'em for years. Then, about two weeks ago, my daughter mentioned that they look like xxxxxxxx.:cool:

So I turned up a bunch out of nice stock and I'm putting the finish on 'em right now. Will post in a day or so in the Turning Forum.

lou sansone
11-26-2005, 9:04 AM
hi andy

the bottom does sit out proud as you have noticed. it gives a very nice detail to the piece.

I like the idea of christmas ornaments. Could you post some pictures of them?

thanks
lou

Andy Hoyt
11-26-2005, 9:06 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26769