PDA

View Full Version : door identificaton

Ken Cowart
09-15-2018, 2:24 PM
how to mark or identify doors removed from jambs, to paint and then return to proper jamb. apx 36 each 3 x7

Tom M King
09-15-2018, 2:46 PM
Just mark on the top edge of the door with a Sharpie. Make a drawing to keep up with which jamb is which. If the top edge has to be painted, use Roman Numerals with a chisel. Roman Numerals because it's so much faster to make an 8 with a chisel.

James Tibbetts
09-15-2018, 3:26 PM
Sharpie in the area under the top hinge works too. Mark door and jamb.

Jim Koepke
09-15-2018, 4:10 PM
If you are going to take the door knobs for painting you can put the identifying information in the hole for the knob and latch hardware.

If not, write it on a piece of masking tape placed on the knob.

jtk

Aaron Rosenthal
09-15-2018, 5:36 PM
I always used to mark the hinges with sharpie on masking tape.

Bill Dufour
09-16-2018, 11:17 AM
I have one of those automatic date stampers that I use on wood that I store away so I know how long it has been drying.. You could easily use it to mark the doors and jambs under the hinge or knob escutcheon. Just chose a month and advance the date from one to 31. since you need 36 advance to the next month and repeat.
If 372 days in a year is not enough you can then advance the years as well. Most will probably have ten years plus one blank year for a total of 4092. If that is not enough then it is time to switch ink color or stamp each date twice or maybe sideways.
Bill D.