PDA

View Full Version : Pinging John Hart

Bob Noles
11-25-2005, 6:16 PM
John,

Did you ever hear about the man who fell out of an 80 story building? As the people inside watched him pass by each story they could hear him saying.... so far so good :eek:

Well..... I just fell off the edge :D :D :D Quest finished and UPS job security has been increased.

Once all this stuff arrives, I'll really be asking questions :p

Gary DeWitt
11-25-2005, 6:34 PM
Thank God!!! I was starting to think you'd stay behind the start line permanently!:D
Got a list somewhere you could post?

Carole Valentine
11-25-2005, 7:16 PM
I knew you wouldn't be able to stand it, Bob! LOL So what all is the UPS man going to deliver?

Ernie Nyvall
11-25-2005, 7:38 PM
Course with this time of year, it could be months before it arrives.:D

What the heck is on UPS?

Ernie

Bob Noles
11-25-2005, 7:59 PM
I'll go ahead and fill y'all in while John is napping :D

As you know I really struggled with a lot of things in this quest and asked many questions and worried many of you to death (you know who you are) :) both on the forum and behind the scenes trying to obtain as much information as possible, so I could make a few "informed decisions". One person in particular has helped me beyond the call of duty (Dave Dixon). After toiling and torturing myself over which items to select, this is what I decided to go with both for economy and common sense reasons and I firmly believe I have made some good choices to begin my adventure of turning doom :eek:

PSI Turncrafter Pro Midi with extender bed
Wolverine grinding jig and veri grind attachment
Delta Slow Speed Grinder
HF 8 piece turning tools
PSI 6 piece turning tools
Nova precision chuck for midi
3/8 and 5/8 bowl gouges
Thin parting tool
Mini lathe drill chuck
Bill G's video
A few good books and other educational materials recommended by y'all.

I shoped hard and got every bargin and sale price I could find including as much free shipping as possible.

Actually a big gloat included.... my wonderful wife put it all on "HER" credit card and said...... Merry Christmas :p :p :p

John Shuk
11-25-2005, 8:19 PM
Bob,
Welcome to the sickness!

John Hart
11-25-2005, 9:02 PM
Holy Frioles Bob!!!!!!! You went and did it!!!:eek: And Mamma paid for it ?????!!!! You know what this means don't you? :rolleyes: You still have $500 to spend!!!!!;) Woo Hoo!!!!:D

Congratulations for falling off the cliff!!!:D Now go find some tree stumps.;)

Andy Hoyt
11-25-2005, 9:25 PM
Only took him six days to topple off the edge.

So, my question now is, "Who's next?"

Gary DeWitt
11-26-2005, 1:36 AM
They're comin", Andy. Someone said there's another one born every minute, heh heh.

BOB: A great start, actually has the potential to keep you busy all winter with just what you have there and some wood.

Tip: I own one of those Delta slow speed grinders, it came with a gray and a white wheel, thought I was all set. Turned it on, it nearly walked itself out of my studio, both wheels were so out of balance. No amount of dressing would make them run anywhere near true, much less vibration free.
I wound up repalcing the wheels with Norton wheels, which were much better balanced out of the box. Not perfect, but passable.
You need to consider this before your tools get dull, unless you just get lucky with the Delta ones. Oneway makes a wheel balancer I'm considering for my next sharpening purchase.
Good luck, I'm looking forward to a pic or two of your first efforts.

Rich Stewart
11-26-2005, 2:09 AM
Wheel balancer? Does it ever end? Lemme see where I am now.

1. New shed for a workshop.
2. Jet mini lathe
3. Delta dust collector
4. Utility chuck
5. Two speed grinder
6. PSI sharpening jig
7. Sixteen chisels
8. A bunch of wood from ebay
9. Bandsaw
10. Drill press
11. Drill chuck
12. Pen mandrell
13. Probuff system
14. Wheel dresser
15. Sandpaper, finishes, oils, polishes
16. Work bench
17. Wiring and lights for new shed
18. Face shield
19. Dust mask

Now you talk about wheel balancers? Sheesh. It never stops. My wife has said, "Merry Christmas." about 5 times in the last couple weeks. She starting to give me that raised eyebrow, greasy eyeball thing now everytime the UPS truck pulls up out front. Still need a heater. Anybody got any suggestions on heaters. I'm thinking about one of them that hooks up to my gas grill tank. Shed is 12 X 8.

Bob Noles
11-26-2005, 7:52 AM
Y'all keep me rolling on the floor :D :D

I do believe Rich has hit the nail on the head though :p

btw..... does anyone see anything I missed to get me started?

RL Johnson
11-26-2005, 9:30 AM
Bob,
What about that awful word, "SANDING":eek: , and there ia also finish. If you make those pens, you will need to enter the world of finishing. Big subject just by itself. Best of luck.

John Hart
11-26-2005, 10:10 AM
While I was turning yesterday, I kept saying to myself, " I gotta tell Bob about this....I gotta tell Bob about that...." In the end, I figured, wellllll...Bob's gonna find out on his own. That's half the fun anyway....discovery...adventure....chatter...tear-out....flying projectiles...:D :D

Carole Valentine
11-26-2005, 10:14 AM
anyway....discovery...adventure....chatter...tear-out....flying projectiles...:D :D

Um, did we have some flying projectiles yesterday?:D

John Hart
11-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Um, did we have some flying projectiles yesterday?:D

heh heh.....a couple. I'm wearing my face shield a lot these days! ;)

Gary DeWitt
11-26-2005, 10:50 AM
BOB:
The others have brought up something without addressing you directly, so I will, and I'm really sorry I didn't think about this earlier.

SAFETY EQUIPMENT!

At a bare minimum, you must have and wear a face shield, in case you have a piece or chunk of one fly off the lathe. Mandatory.

Also, while sanding you need to suck up the dust, or at least wear a particle mask. Cheap insurance that you'll still be breating easily down the line.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Bob Noles
11-26-2005, 4:24 PM
While I was turning yesterday, I kept saying to myself, " I gotta tell Bob about this....I gotta tell Bob about that...." In the end, I figured, wellllll...Bob's gonna find out on his own. That's half the fun anyway....discovery...adventure....chatter...tear-out....flying projectiles...:D :D

John.... I get this feeling you are keeping things from me :eek: :eek:

Bob Noles
11-26-2005, 4:31 PM
BOB:
The others have brought up something without addressing you directly, so I will, and I'm really sorry I didn't think about this earlier.

SAFETY EQUIPMENT!

At a bare minimum, you must have and wear a face shield, in case you have a piece or chunk of one fly off the lathe. Mandatory.

Also, while sanding you need to suck up the dust, or at least wear a particle mask. Cheap insurance that you'll still be breating easily down the line.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Gary,

Fortunately I am not a beginning woodworker in itself.... just a begining turner :D I am lucky to have a fully equiped shop at this time and the largest collection of tools in that workshop is safety equipment including the items you mentioned. I really appreciate you bringing these things up as I don't think safety can be stressed enough. Quite frankly... this hobby scares the fool out of me and I take no chances or risks whatsoever :eek: I hope to one day leave this world with everything I came in it with :rolleyes:

btw Gary...... looks like you are involved in the movie industry. I'll bet that is interesting for sure. Where do you find time for the WW hobby?

Now if John will just behave and tell me what I'm doing wrong.... I will have it made :) :) :)

John Hart
11-26-2005, 4:38 PM
John.... I get this feeling you are keeping things from me :eek: :eek:

Who Me?? Nahhhh! :D Nope....just talking about the little things that you'll experience on your own....like how to approach the piece of wood when it's still square and how much sandpaper burns your fingers and you don't really care when it does...that sort of thing. I think it's been fun watching you get engaged. I think you'll have a ball! You might even make one. ;)

Travis Stinson
11-26-2005, 6:59 PM
I didn't see "chainsaw" on the list!;) :D

Andy Hoyt
11-26-2005, 7:02 PM
The new bowl blank hauler aint on there either.

Bob Noles
11-26-2005, 8:16 PM
The new bowl blank hauler aint on there either.

You mean I get a new truck out of this deal as well? :rolleyes: :cool:

Andy Hoyt
11-26-2005, 9:59 PM
You mean I get a new truck out of this deal as well? :rolleyes: :cool:

We're Shopper Borrowers

Sure. Just put it on your wife's CC along with everything else.

It is the American way.