PDA

View Full Version : Hand Powered Table Saw

Keith Outten
07-01-2003, 10:30 AM
The picture below is from the "Manufacturer and Builder" newspaper printed in 1888. Those of you who are feeling bad about not owning a top of the line table saw consider the poor soul that had to use this machine, hopefully he had a good friend who would turn the crank while he pushed the lumber through the saw.

I have over a hundred pages of this newspaper complete with the text, if anyone is interested I will post more pictures.

Roger Myers
07-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Keith,
great picture - I love the old pictures (and patent applications are great too)... thinking this would make a nice laser engraving....
Roger

PS - appreciate the time you and Aaron spent on the phone with me last week!

Roger - enjoying sunshine here in NH, and thinking about the two pieces of bookmatched curly cherry that followed me home from PA yesterday :)

Keith Outten
07-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Roger,

I must admit that I love the old antique pictures as well. I have collected several hundred over the last few years, mostly Civil war pictures of our local area around Hampton Roads. I also have a local newspaper from May 29th, 1939 and have scanned several of the articles and advertisements. The ads are great for local businesses that are still around, they go crazy when they see an old ad engraved in wood.

I still have a BBS online and I archive all of my old pictures there as well as over 600 movie posters. I think we have over 600,000 pictures in our file libraries for our network members. Sadly the BBS server is very old and can't last much longer, when it dies I will just salvage the drive and toss it in the dumpster. The BBS is an old Pentium Pro 180 that has been online continiously for over 5 years so it has to go soon, the truth is that I'm amazed that it is still running.

Recently I found some very nice articles from the Manufacturer and Builder newspaper, most the the pages have great pictures of old tools and equipment and all of them are a great resource for engraving. What I need is some text to go with the pictures and I will make some very nice plaques. Possibly I could use portions of the articles. I hope to bring some of them with me to the 5 Barns Picnic.

Concerning our conversation I should have some information for you by tomorrow night.

Walt Quadrato
07-01-2003, 11:11 AM
How do you like that..a retractable infeed and outfeed table extension, and a heavy duty balde cover. we're just spinng our wheels guys, it's all been done before! :p thanks, Keith!

Carl Eyman
07-01-2003, 12:07 PM
This is just the thing for newly weds that want to do things together. Knowing who cranks the saw will say a lot about the future of the marriage!

Bob Oswin
07-01-2003, 12:18 PM
The picture below is from the "Manufacturer and Builder" newspaper printed in 1888. Those of you who are feeling bad about not owning a top of the line table saw consider the poor soul that had to use this machine, hopefully he had a good friend who would turn the crank while he pushed the lumber through the saw.

I have over a hundred pages of this newspaper complete with the text, if anyone is interested I will post more pictures.

Great out feed table!
I love this stuff.
Give us more keith.

bob

Dave Arbuckle
07-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Aw man, now I'm really bummed! Even back then they had power feeders on their tablesaws... ;)

That's really cool, Keith.

Dave

Ken Frantz
07-01-2003, 2:49 PM
Great picture!!!

I have about 50 or more notebooks that I keep all of my information on woodworking, metalworking, amateur radio, tractors, projects, genology along with a lots of other information I have collected over the years. When I make up a notebook I always put a picture in the front insert of what is in the notebook.

Since you posted the hand powered table saw, I will now change the notebook cover from a "new" table saw picture to this one!!!!

Would you happen to have a picture of a hand powered router for my router notebook???? HI HI HI

The old tool pic would be good for "wallpaper" on the computer. so keep them comming!!!!!!

Mark Hulette
07-01-2003, 3:25 PM
dust collection? ;)

Dave Arbuckle
07-01-2003, 3:45 PM
Would you happen to have a picture of a hand powered router for my router notebook???? HI HI HI

Here you go, Ken. Hand-powered router:

http://www.mjdtools.com/tools/graphics/30416_lg.jpg

Dave
(image from http://www.mjdtools.com/tools/list_321/30416.htm )

Ken Frantz
07-01-2003, 4:17 PM
GOOD ONE DAVE!!!!!!!

Got a left handed monkie wrench or electric light oil?

Terry Hatfield
07-01-2003, 6:22 PM
Those of you who are feeling bad about not owning a top of the line table saw consider the poor soul that had to use this machine, hopefully he had a good friend who would turn the crank while he pushed the lumber through the saw.

Keith,

That would have to be a VERY good friend indeed!!! :D

Terry

Keith Outten
07-01-2003, 10:36 PM
Ken,

This is pretty close I think.

Mike Schwing
07-02-2003, 8:13 AM
By all means, please post more!

Besides the neat product it depicts, I find those old ads even more inspiring for the fact that they were all hand drawn. No CAD, no Photoshop, no nothing...

Dave Arbuckle
07-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Responding to Ken:

No, really! That's a Stanley #71 router plane... That's what it is. :)

Dave

Bob Janka
07-02-2003, 1:47 PM
Responding to Ken:

No, really! That's a Stanley #71 router plane... That's what it is. :)

Dave

Ken,

Believe Dave, he IS telling the truth. Stanley made a few variations of this hand-held router plane. I think there was one or two in the same size class and another that was half this size with a really small cutter. My instructor for "Woodworking Unplugged" called the small one a "Granny's Tooth". :)

The plane in Keith's picture would handle rabbets as well as grooves and rabbets near the edge or end of a workpiece. The #71 & its cousins might have a fence for edge/end work but could be used free hand for the center of a workpiece.

Someone once said "There's nothing new under sun." This is especially true for woodworking tools. :-)

Cheers,
Bob

Keith Outten
07-02-2003, 2:17 PM
Ok, since several of you asked for em you got em!

I just created a new thread with a link to a web page with thumbnail picture links to most of the tool pictures I got from the Manufacturer and Builder Magazine.

The new thread contains a notice about file size as many of these pictures are about half a meg.

Enjoy!

Roger Myers
07-02-2003, 6:44 PM
Keith...
Saw your pic of this today, and then while browsing ebay tonite, saw this plane at $300+ with over an hour to go....before today, I'n not sure I had paid much attention to this particular plane

item number is 3230718050 if someone wants to see pics....

Love the old pictures....nostalgic and educational!

Roger