PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Stands

Dick Parr
11-25-2005, 4:57 PM
I got an order for a couple more Guitar stands and finally got them finished.

The one on the left is made from Lace-wood and the Fret Note is made from Yellow Satinwood. The inlay banding is on front and back.

The one on the right is made from Walnut and Purple Heart and the tuning knobs are made from Oak that I treated with white vinegar and steel-wool and the inlay is only on the front.

Thanks for looking.

Roger Everett
11-25-2005, 5:28 PM
Dick:
very cool, very cool idea. You ought to get enough orders on them to give up the day job. much better then them metal stands, right-on
Roger

Jason Tuinstra
11-25-2005, 5:29 PM
Dick, very creative. I've never seen these before. I can see where a guitar lover would love these. Nice job.

Ken Shoemaker
11-25-2005, 5:44 PM
Dick,

Outstanding effort!! I especialy like the inlay work... That skill seems to elude me at the moment.:rolleyes:

Well done in every respect.

Russ Massery
11-25-2005, 6:01 PM
Great idea Dick, I've been doing woodworking for over ten years now and played guitar for over thirty, never saw or thought of making one of these. Great idea and excellent workmanship!

Dan Forman
11-25-2005, 6:03 PM
Really nice work. The custom features add considerable interest. I particularly like the peghead format. Very immaginative.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2005, 6:04 PM
Outstanding Dick. They look great. Excellent project.

Corey Hallagan
11-25-2005, 6:23 PM
Dick, most interesting project, I have never seen anything like those. Very nice!

Corey

lou sansone
11-25-2005, 6:40 PM
great project and gives a an idea for my daughter for christmass. Do you think the stand could be broken down to fold flat for travel? do you have any other examples ?

thanks
lou

Brett Baldwin
11-25-2005, 8:22 PM
Dick, those look great. I can easily picture a Martin acoustic take a nice rest in those.

Lou, I see two possibilties off-hand for making a folding stand from that basic design. Hinge the base support on the bottom of the crosspiece and the neck holder at the top. That way gravity will hold them in place when it is upright. If you wanted to go without hardware, a through-tenon with a tapered pin in back for the neck holder and a french-cleat type setup for the base support would be easily broken down and setup. Neither solution gets it totally flat though.

scott spencer
11-25-2005, 9:11 PM
Nice work Dick....and thanks for the idea! ;)

Vaughn McMillan
11-26-2005, 2:02 AM
Those look real nice, Dick. Very original and good-looking workmanship. Are you planning to have any padding at the points where the guitar makes contact with the wood? On stands I've made, I've used leather, glued to the critical points where the neck and body make contact with the stand.

- Vaughn

Peter Stahl
11-26-2005, 8:39 AM
Dick, Very nice job! I copied the picks for future reference as my son plays guitar. Maybe a future project we can do together. Keep up the good work!

john whittaker
11-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks for posting Dick. This came at a great time because I am in the design phase for building a guitar stand. Always like to look at other designs. I like what you made. You put some interesting touches on the stands....like the vinegar treated pegs and inlay work. Hope you don't mind me borrowing some ideas.

Dick Parr
11-28-2005, 9:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Anyone is more then welcome to use whatever helps with making there own. Making these one or two at a time is very time consuming because there is a lot of hand work in them. But the neighbor next door is happy with them so I am to.:D

Bruce Page
11-28-2005, 2:32 PM
Those are beautiful Dick. I saved the pictures for future reference. My Godson is an aspiring guitarist, this would be a nice gift for him, if, he takes his interest to the next level. :rolleyes: You know how kids / fads can be...