PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a recently cut down Pear Tree

Kevin Davis
09-10-2018, 10:39 PM
Hi All,

We lost an 18 year old Aristocrat Pear Tree and I thought it might be fun to dry it and rip it down to make my wife something memorable like a jewelry box as we planted it when my first daughter was born. It is 12" in diameter for about 5' and then 4 pieces 7" x 5'. My first question is it worth doing with that diameter or just try turning it or firewood. If it's worth saving to rip and mill later or turn, how long do you leave it in logs and how to treat the ends?

Thank you, Kevin

kevin nee
09-11-2018, 7:40 AM
Do it! Points with the wife are worth more than time or money.

Bob Bouis
09-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Pear is not a durable wood. It will stain from fungus and become infested with insects very quickly if left in log form. If you're going to process it, do it immediately.

Kevin Davis
09-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Pear is not a durable wood. It will stain from fungus and become infested with insects very quickly if left in log form. If you're going to process it, do it immediately. Thanks Bob. Hopefully being dry here in Colorado will buy me some time.

Ted Calver
09-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Last time a major hurricane came through here I acquired several 4' long bradford pear trunks in the 16-18" diameter range. I leaned them against a fence, in the shade, while I procrastinated for a couple of years before throwing the wood on the lathe. The wood was beautifully spalted and made some of my prettiest bowls. No bugs for some reason. I take all the pear I can find. I've milled small diameter log sections with good results. Give it a try. Don't mill the boards too thin so you can plane out any twist. Stack and sticker with lots of weight on top and Paint the ends with Anchorseal to help minimize splitting.

Kevin Davis
09-12-2018, 8:54 AM
Last time a major hurricane came through here I acquired several 4' long bradford pear trunks in the 16-18" diameter range. I leaned them against a fence, in the shade, while I procrastinated for a couple of years before throwing the wood on the lathe. The wood was beautifully spalted and made some of my prettiest bowls. No bugs for some reason. I take all the pear I can find. I've milled small diameter log sections with good results. Give it a try. Don't mill the boards too thin so you can plane out any twist. Stack and sticker with lots of weight on top and Paint the ends with Anchorseal to help minimize splitting.
Thanks Ted. I'll give it a go.