PDA

View Full Version : Infinity wooden hand planes.

Dave Lehnert
09-10-2018, 7:52 PM
Just ran across a line of hand planes sold by Infinity tools.
Not in the market as wooden planes are easy to come by here in Ohio.
Wondering if anyone has used one and your opinion?
Would they be a good option for someone without a good outlet local for vintage planes?

https://www.infinitytools.com/hand-tools/hand-planes

Frederick Skelly
09-10-2018, 8:17 PM
Hmmm. At that price, I might buy one just to try it out. I did notice it said "The blades are made of steel alloy CrV hardened and tempered to 58HRC." (Where's Patrick Chase when we need him. :))

Thanks for the tip Dave.

Jim Koepke
09-10-2018, 9:09 PM
Hmmm. At that price, I might buy one just to try it out. I did notice it said "The blades are made of steel alloy CrV hardened and tempered to 58HRC." (Where's Patrick Chase when we need him. :))

Thanks for the tip Dave.

That seems a bit on the soft side. Someone once said CrV steel isn't great steel. It can be made to really shine. :D

Looking at the "set" of a jointer, scrub, jack and smoother for $299 was interesting. Especially since on the same page the jointer is listed as starting at $34.90 and the jack and smoother are listed at $24.90 apiece one must be getting one heck of a little mallet and scrub plane for the remaining $214.30.

jtk

Dave Lehnert
09-10-2018, 10:15 PM
That seems a bit on the soft side. Someone once said CrV steel isn't great steel. It can be made to really shine. :D

Looking at the "set" of a jointer, scrub, jack and smoother for $299 was interesting. Especially since on the same page the jointer is listed as starting at $34.90 and the jack and smoother are listed at $24.90 apiece one must be getting one heck of a little mallet and scrub plane for the remaining $214.30.

jtk

That $34.90 is for a replacement Replacement Blade & Chipbreaker
The plane is $129.90

Greg Wease
09-10-2018, 11:05 PM
They look like Pinie planes made in Czech Republic.

Shawn Hinsey
09-10-2018, 11:17 PM
I picked up a couple of the rabbet planes awhile ago. They're decent enough but nothing amazing. I had to work on both to securely seat the blade but I was able to make it work. I happened to have some planemaker floats, to be fair. I probably wouldn't get one to rely on but I'm happy to have a couple of rarely used sizes around as options. I have ECE planes and they are similar in a lot of ways but they're ahead on fit and finish for sure.

chris carter
09-11-2018, 8:42 AM
I have their 30mm double rabbet plane; I got it for Xmas last year. The wood was fine, although not elegant in the slightest and had a pretty rough varnish that could use some sanding. I maybe took one shaving off the sole. The iron was crudely cut; I had to soften the edges of the stem or whatever the skinny part is called. It required a LOT of flattening, but ultimately it sharpens up great and cuts fine. It's a perfectly usable plane and it's gotten plenty of use, but it did require more than an average amount of work work to be put into it.

Is it a good option for someone without access to vintage woodies? Only if they are comfortable with the amount of fettling they will require.

Jim Koepke
09-11-2018, 1:44 PM
That $34.90 is for a replacement Replacement Blade & Chipbreaker
The plane is $129.90

Mea culpa, my only defense is their page misled me:

jtk

Tony Wilkins
09-11-2018, 2:12 PM
Yeah, noticed that too. Gives me a hinky feeling that leads me away from trying any of them.

Andrew Gibson
09-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Hi Guys, when it comes to the Infinity Website you will need to follow through from the search page to the product page. Because the planes and the replacement irons are sold on the same page, the website defaults and shows the lowest priced item sold on the page. In this specific case the "Starting At" price is for the replacement Irons.

Edit, I never thought I would be talking about a website in the Neanderthal Haven :eek:

John Schtrumpf
09-17-2018, 9:35 PM
...Edit, I never thought I would be talking about a website in the Neanderthal Haven :eek:
Hate to break it to you, but Neanderthal Haven is also a website. ;)

Andrew Gibson
09-18-2018, 8:43 AM
Hate to break it to you, but Neanderthal Haven is also a website. ;)

The Irony... :D

glenn bradley
09-18-2018, 9:35 AM
So an Infinity smoother (https://www.infinitytools.com/hand-tools/hand-planes/bench-planes/smoothing-plane) for $80 or a little smaller E.C. Emmerich (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=46935&cat=1,41182,46935) for $67 . . . . hmmmm.

Warren Mickley
09-18-2018, 3:49 PM
So an Infinity smoother (https://www.infinitytools.com/hand-tools/hand-planes/bench-planes/smoothing-plane) for $80 or a little smaller E.C. Emmerich (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=46935&cat=1,41182,46935) for $67 . . . . hmmmm.

You are comparing a little single iron plane (some vendors call it a boy's plane ) with a full size double iron plane. The Emmerich plane that is equivalent to the Infinity smoother would be in the $110 price range.

Laurent Marshall
09-19-2018, 1:29 PM
They look like Pinie planes made in Czech Republic.

Yup, they do look very similar. I have a Pinie scrub plane (it works fine), but haven't tried any of their other stuff.

glenn bradley
09-19-2018, 2:49 PM
You are comparing a little single iron plane (some vendors call it a boy's plane ) with a full size double iron plane. The Emmerich plane that is equivalent to the Infinity smoother would be in the $110 price range.

Thanks for the correction. That’s what I get for trying to look at pictures on my phone;)

george wilson
09-19-2018, 4:42 PM
58 for the blade is plenty hard. A 1095 saw blade like we used to make is 52. The blades we made were a little hard on files,but soft enough to not often have a tooth break off when setting them. The cabinet makers loved them. They were better than any antique ones. Stayed sharp a LONG time.

As I have said several times,back when I was in the Museum's Musical Instrument Maker's Shop,I tried out many an antique blade. The ones that stayed sharper longest could BARELY be filed a little bit with a NEW,FINE CUT Nicholson file. They were probably about 54 or 55. At the time I didn't have a hardness tester,but I did have a lot of experience. If a blade gets too hard,the microscopic cutting edge will chip off,and it will seem dull to the naked eye. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH. Tempering steel is a balancing act. THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL about chrome vanadium steel. I'd rather have 1095. Plain carbon steel like 1095 will get sharper.

As for the planes under discussion,they are ugly as can be,though that doesn't mean they wouldn't work well. I would not buy one. I got many a nice old English plane in flea markets for $10.00- $$20.00. But that was then. I haven't needed any more planes for a long time !!! No telling what they bring now. I was tempted a few months ago on Patrick Leache's tool site to spend about $150.00 for a beautiful old Marples plane with the adjustable steel toe in front of the iron. I made myself one years ago. But,this one was the most beautiful cordovan color ! Should have gone for it as I am a terrible tool pig!! That was a type of plane that is hard to find. In England back in the 90's I found a really beat up one,and they wanted $250 POUNDS for it ! No thanks!! Leaches was in immaculate condition.

steven c newman
09-19-2018, 6:14 PM
Well, look what the cat drug in...WELCOME BACK, George!

george wilson
09-19-2018, 8:19 PM
Oh,I've just for the past several months not felt like being on the computer,on fora,or even on ebay. Very hard to get up from this without an chair with arms. And,on october I'm having the other knee done. My wife's activitys have delayed it.

Frederick Skelly
09-19-2018, 8:48 PM
Welcome back George!!!!!!!!
We missed you!!!!
Fred

Jim Koepke
09-20-2018, 1:19 AM
Glad to hear from you George.

Keep on keeping on.

jtk