PDA

View Full Version : New Questions for my FS30c Jointer/Planer

Jeff Ranck
09-10-2018, 6:45 PM
Now that my FS30c is scheduled to be delivered this week, I have a couple of questions for those of you who own them:

1. Mobility - what do folks use? I used Great Lakes castors on my Agazzani bandsaw and they work well, but then again, it hardly ever moves. Sam mentioned that some folks use a Zambus caster solution.

2. Plug type. At 30A, there are a couple of different plug configurations that I could use. Any reason not to go with 30A twist locks? The rest of my machines only need a 20A circuit so they are a different plug configuration.

Jeff.

Rod Sheridan
09-10-2018, 8:18 PM
Hi Jeff, congratulations on your new machine, you'll love it.

I wouldn't waste money on locking receptacles, use a straight blade device. As an added bonus, most are right angle cord caps so they work better for receptacles mounted on walls....Rod.

Jim Becker
09-10-2018, 8:26 PM
The Great Lakes casters are "very similar" to the Zambus casters...for a few shekels less.

I use 30a Twist Locks for all my 30a machinery and 20a twist locks for all my 20a machinery. I also pigtail at the machine so I can completely remove the cord for mobility or for an easily accessible complete disconnect. (Euro machinery tends to have that built in, but you can't beat unplugging for "being sure"... ;) Yes, my method adds a little cost, but it's my personal preference. BTW, I find that I can often source top quality plugs/receptacles for better prices on Amazon than at the 'borg...I can tell you I saved about $15 on the ones for my CNC machine.

Charles P. Wright
09-10-2018, 10:02 PM
I used a dryer plug for my MM16 and FS41.

I use the mobility kit that came with both of them. The jointer has a large Johnson bar that clips in to a hook on the bottom; it feels much more solid than the one that came with the MM16 that hooks into the foot brake. It's still a bit tricky to parallel park sometimes. Also you need to have the table up to get the bar in properly, which is a little bit annoying.

Charles