PDA

View Full Version : Tigerwood Pricing

Julie Moriarty
09-10-2018, 2:25 PM
Just got an email offering free shipping on tigerwood but I have no idea how these prices compare. Here's their bd/ft prices for S4S lumber
2x12 - $11.58
2x10 - $9.52
1x6 - 3' for $5.94

How do these prices compare to what you see?

Jeff Duncan
09-10-2018, 8:22 PM
Seems pretty reasonable to me. I did a project last year with it and I don't recall the bd. ft. pricing, but it was not cheap. The veneer was close to $400 a sheet. I can say the small amount of solid wood I looked at was unimpressive. The veneer is very cool though. I can also tell you that its a hard brittle wood that splinters like a son of a gun! I would say the veneer is much nicer to look at than the solid.... at least the solid stock I looked through.

....not sure why the site is flipping my images upside down, but they're definitely not like that when I load them:confused:

good luck,
JeffD

Julie Moriarty
09-10-2018, 9:19 PM
Gorgeous desk, Jeff! You really did a nice job!

Clint Baxter
09-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Just got an email offering free shipping on tigerwood but I have no idea how these prices compare. Here's their bd/ft prices for S4S lumber
2x12 - $11.58
2x10 - $9.52
1x6 - 3' for $5.94

How do these prices compare to what you see?

Actually, those weren’t board foot prices, but are lineal foot prices. So your price per bd ft for the 2X is actually lower than your quoted numbers. Seeings how they are actually 1 1/2 the bd ft price is much better and that 1x6 price is for 1 1/2 bd ft which would come out to $3.96 per bd ft.

You might take a look at their Goncalo Alves. Their prices are pretty reasonable and I’ve always enjoyed both it’s
appearance and workability.

Clint

Julie Moriarty
09-11-2018, 7:49 AM
Actually, those weren’t board foot prices, but are lineal foot prices. So your price per bd ft for the 2X is actually lower than your quoted numbers. Seeings how they are actually 1 1/2 the bd ft price is much better than that 1x6 which comes out to $11.88 per bd ft.

You might take a look at their Goncalo Alves. Their prices are pretty reasonable and I’ve always enjoyed both it’s
appearance and workability.

Clint

You're right, Clint! I'm so used to lumber being in board feet I didn't give it a thought.

Most of the wood I've bought from Advantage has been rough sawn. Maybe that's why the DW735 cried so much. I feel another trip to Sarasota coming on.... :rolleyes:

Gary Ragatz
09-11-2018, 9:06 AM
Actually, those weren’t board foot prices, but are lineal foot prices. So your price per bd ft for the 2X is actually lower than your quoted numbers. Seeings how they are actually 1 1/2 the bd ft price is much better than that 1x6 which comes out to $11.88 per bd ft.

But the 1x6 price seems to be for a 3 foot piece of stock, so it would be a little under $4.00/bf.

Clint Baxter
09-11-2018, 11:25 AM
But the 1x6 price seems to be for a 3 foot piece of stock, so it would be a little under $4.00/bf.

Youre right! I got it in my head that it was for @ lineal foot, like the 2X stock. Corrected my original post to reflect the correct number.

Clint

Don Jarvie
09-11-2018, 1:21 PM
12.25 bf rough up here in the Northeast.