PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Head for Dewalt 735 -- OEM or Smaller for Easy Installation

John Goodin
09-10-2018, 9:03 AM
Finally getting a Byrd Shelix head for my Dewalt 735 planer. It appears there are two options. From what I understand the OEM requires pulling the cutters for installation. There is a slightly smaller diameter size (.088) which allows for installation with removing the cutters. This is not a big deal since it is a one time issue. On the other hand, the smaller head is about about 75 dollars cheaper which is a big plus. Are there any negatives of the smaller head that may justify the extra expense for the OEM? I do not mind spending the extra money if the there is a tangible benefit. I will probably never upgrade to a larger planer so I want to get it right. Thanks in advance.

Jack Lemley
09-10-2018, 9:35 AM
I bought the Shelix head product id
B4798 from Holbren 7 or 8 years ago. It is the full size head with bearings and I installed it without taking out the inserts. I would not get the smaller head if the only benefit is installation ease. Better use thick leather gloves when intalling though ;-)

Jack