PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Perfect Fit Dado Jig

Dean Coss
09-09-2018, 7:36 PM
Anyone ever used one of these or had any experience with one of these?
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-perfect-fit-dado-jig
Seems kind of expensive for something you could easily make or do with a clamped straight edge. And there doesnt seem to be any sort of micro-adjustment. Any thoughts?

Dan Rude
09-09-2018, 8:31 PM
I picked one up on sale a while back. Have not got a chance to use it though. Dan

Curt Harms
09-10-2018, 9:40 AM
There are pics and plans for dado jigs that use the material going into the dado to set the dado width. I use a 1/2" X 1/2" pattern bit and two pieces of MDF, 1 fixed and the second held by adjustable slotted pieces perpendicular to the jaws. Clamp the fixed jaw on one side of the desired dado, put the shelf or whatever against that jaw then set the movable jaw against the shelf and tighten or clamp. The top bearing rides against the jaws, the dado will be the exact width of the shelf. Doesn't work for dados narrower than 1/2", there is a similar jig using a bushing for narrower dados.

Michelle Rich
09-10-2018, 7:16 PM
Infinity makes a nice one with micro-adjust

Rick Potter
09-11-2018, 3:49 PM
I bought one, and didn't like it at all. I wrote a review on it and sent it to Rockler, along with suggestions, but never saw it again. Sorry, but I cannot remember the details now. I was trying several methods at the time. Ended up using my RAS.

I gave up on it.

Ben Rivel
09-11-2018, 4:21 PM
Infinity makes a nice one with micro-adjust
Yes the Infinity one definitely looks like nice unit for the price. (LINK (https://www.infinitytools.com/infinity-tools-precision-router-dado-jig)) But it is quite a bit more money.

Randy Heinemann
09-11-2018, 7:10 PM
Generally Rockler jigs are inexpensive and great for single or infrequent use. However, you can most often find much better and more accurate jigs but they will usually cost more. Some years ago I made a dado jig to be used with the router. It allows exact fit to piece fitting into the dado and can be made to fit larger width boards if that is your more regular use for it. I think it was originally in WOOD Magazine and may be available online since it’s been around for many years.

Carl Beckett
09-13-2018, 3:44 PM
There are pics and plans for dado jigs that use the material going into the dado to set the dado width. I use a 1/2" X 1/2" pattern bit and two pieces of MDF, 1 fixed and the second held by adjustable slotted pieces perpendicular to the jaws. Clamp the fixed jaw on one side of the desired dado, put the shelf or whatever against that jaw then set the movable jaw against the shelf and tighten or clamp. The top bearing rides against the jaws, the dado will be the exact width of the shelf. Doesn't work for dados narrower than 1/2", there is a similar jig using a bushing for narrower dados.

This sounds like what I built. Simple a 'square' that locates along the edge, then slide the second rail against the workpiece you will be fitting into the dado. Bit with a guide bushing just passes down one side and back the other, a perfect fit.

I like how effortless it is to get the right size (no trial and error, the workpiece itself determines groove width).

The rockler behaves similarly, but I doubt you can beat the robustness of a couple pieces of MDF (I shellac all my MDF, it is quick and soaks in and gives a harder surface coating).