PDA

View Full Version : hall cabinet

Zahid Naqvi
11-25-2005, 3:37 PM
Finally got a digital camera, albeit only a basic 5 mp one. Here are pictures of a hall cabinet I completed earlier this summer. The frame is Mahogany, the pannels are maple and the veneer is Olive Ash. The mahogany has a MinWax red Mahogany stain while the pannels have golden oak Danish oil, no stain on the veneer. Everything is then topped of with wipe on poly 5 + coats. Let's see if I can figure out how to attache pictures now.

John Miliunas
11-25-2005, 4:07 PM
Zahid, would love to see the pics!:D A few things to keep in mind when trying to do so: Make sure your image size is under 107KB in size for jpg format. Try to keep the width of the picture to about 650 pixels. Once you "upload" with the attachment manager, do NOT try to preview the pictures! For whatever reason, that pretty much aborts the entire picture attaching routine.:) :cool:

Zahid Naqvi
11-25-2005, 4:19 PM
Here we go.

The top was my first attempt at hand rubbing a finish. I used a 600 grit sand paper and soaked the veneer with tungoil and rubbed for 30 mins each day for about 6 days. Didn't need much oil after day 1, I guess the veneer must have been saturated by then. BTW the venner was glued using epoxy and cauls, no vac bags. The two vertical strips you see at the end of the veneer is another one of my "fixes", the ends didn't match up quite perfect. so I routed a 1/4" groove and inserted a strip of mahogany.

Chris Barton
11-25-2005, 4:23 PM
Zahid,

Materfully done! I really like the olive burl. How idid you attach the veneer to the substrate?

Zahid Naqvi
11-25-2005, 4:33 PM
Zahid,

Materfully done! I really like the olive burl. How idid you attach the veneer to the substrate?
Sorry didn't see your reply until after I had edited my message above. The backing is MDF, and the edging is attached to it by a tongue and groove, tongue on MDF and groove on mahogany). I used epoxy on a fellow woodworkers recommendation.

Roger Everett
11-25-2005, 4:34 PM
Right on! beautiful design and followthrough.
Roger

John Buzzurro
11-25-2005, 4:47 PM
Absolutely gorgeous piece, beautiful veneer, and good job covering up the mistake. I just assumed the mahogany strips were part of the design.

Mark Singer
11-25-2005, 4:50 PM
Zahid,
That is really great! It is a simplified version of a traditional design and it really works! Execution...wonderful workmanship!

Jim Dunn
11-25-2005, 4:55 PM
Zahid the top is absolutely awe inspiring. And the walnut inserts show a masterful way to repair a flaw. Adds much to the top. Good Work!!!

Vaughn McMillan
11-25-2005, 4:58 PM
Beautiful work Zahid. The top is gorgeous, and the mahogany strips show creative problem-solving at its best.

- Vaughn

Dan Oliphant
11-25-2005, 5:01 PM
That is a truely nice piece of furniture, well done.

Jason Tuinstra
11-25-2005, 5:25 PM
Zahid, looks great. The veneer work turned out just right. Thanks for showing it off.

Russ Massery
11-25-2005, 6:05 PM
Zahid, All I can say is Most Excellent!

Dan Forman
11-25-2005, 6:07 PM
Zahid---Hats off to you!!! I love everything about this piece. I too had assumed the "fix" was a design element. Fabulous!!!

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2005, 6:15 PM
Zahid that is absolutely beautiful. Nice workmanship. Love the veneer. Great job.

Dennis Peacock
11-25-2005, 6:19 PM
Z,

Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did real good!!!!! I'm very proud for ya dude. You did real good.!!!!!!!:D :D

Corey Hallagan
11-25-2005, 6:22 PM
Excellent work Zahid, that is beautiful. Love the wood you used.
Congrats!

Corey

Zahid Naqvi
11-25-2005, 7:49 PM
At least it proves I am good at lying:o . Really this is a combination of low resolution photography and bad lighting, there are lots of problems about the cabinet that just burn my eyes everytime I look at it.

I had bought a couple of end tables from Pakistan during my last trip, this cabinet was an attempt to create something that has some design compatibility. Here are the original tables from the design forum.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15066