PDA

View Full Version : I ordered 1/8" round over bit

Ole Anderson
09-09-2018, 3:09 PM
I have a project that would benefit from doing a small round over on some block letters for a child's bookcase. I saw small radii brass pilot round over bit in the new MLCS catalog https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bit_brass.html?zoom_highlight=6600 : Anybody have experience with a brass pilot in situations where a ball bearing pilot would be too big? Is it going to burn the yellow poplar wood I am using? I assume it is a rotating pilot, not fixed. Reviews say to be sure to use a light touch. I will be spinning it with a PC trim router. Or I could put in in my table router and slow it down.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/graphics4/brass_piloted_splash.jpg

Mel Fulks
09-09-2018, 3:19 PM
Pretty sure it's fixed.

Al Launier
09-09-2018, 3:39 PM
I can understand how this ad could be confusing if one was "wanting/hoping" to have the pilot rotate freely on its own. However, I would interpret the ad to mean its attachment to the router bit is fixed, i.e. brazed (?) not attached as normal bearing pilots are with a screw, and the rotation of the pilot is driven by the bit, i.e. same rotational speed. However, If the brass pilot is mounted on an internal shaft (slip fit & allowed to rotate on a shaft which extends from the bit) I would think they would elaborate on that feature. Bottom line: For Questions or to Order By Phone, Call Toll Free: 1-800-533-9298

Ole Anderson
09-09-2018, 3:40 PM
Well, I guess I will find out as I ordered one...

Nick Decker
09-09-2018, 4:14 PM
I've used a brass pilot bearing on a 1/4" roundover bit and yes, it left burn marks. Can't remember what kind of wood it was, but it wasn't something like cherry that burns easily.

glenn bradley
09-09-2018, 5:35 PM
I use Amana’s miniature series for such tasks. The bearings are quite small although maybe not quite as small as a brass tip .

Warren Lake
09-09-2018, 6:06 PM
what are you showing thats not an 1/8" They come with a bearing ive used lots of them. Do you not have room for a bearing?

joseph f merz
09-09-2018, 6:25 PM
i have one ,I "think" it is an MLCS bit .the brass bushing does not spin ,it is fixed .Project did not work out and not sure I ever used it .But I expect it to get hot and burn . cheap anyhow ,worth a try . I was considering running it on a dremel tool .but in the end skipped that idea .dremels burn up faster then router bits .

Alan Schwabacher
09-09-2018, 6:27 PM
I have used the MCLS brass pilot bits. The brass does spin with the bit and rubs. If you dawdle it will burn, but if you use a light touch and move quickly it doesn't burn too much. I used it mostly on ash, and only where the bearing-piloted bits would not fit.

Jerome Stanek
09-09-2018, 6:40 PM
We always used wax on the edge of solid pilot bits to help keep it from burning

Lee Schierer
09-09-2018, 7:53 PM
there are lots of 1/8" round over bits with bearings. I have one that was made by Freud. The bit shown in your photo is definitely a fixed pilot bit and if you apply too much pressure to the edge of the piece you are routing or stop the bit for even a few seconds in one spot you will get burn marks. You need to apply light pressure and always keep the bit moving along the piece.

Yonak Hawkins
09-09-2018, 9:34 PM
I wonder if putting (lubricated ?) masking tape on the edge would mitigate burning (assuming the tape would hold with the light touch that was recommended).

glenn bradley
09-09-2018, 10:55 PM
I believe the concern is the tight spots he needs to get into. The typical 1/2" diameter bearing limits this reach. Here's the Amana bits. Much smaller bearings that Rockler's similar offering.

The shaft diameter on the following bit us 1/4" for reference.

I just went out and measured one of mine. The bearing is 3/16" diameter.

johnny means
09-09-2018, 11:22 PM
Lami-lube or graphit lube is your friend.