PDA

View Full Version : Ikonics Laser Tape Question

Steve Middleton
09-09-2018, 11:13 AM
So I've a bunch more on sandblasting glass and looked at Ikonics laser tape and my question is.....when it comes off the roll will it stay flat on it's own or does it have be secured with magnets or weights?

Scott Shepherd
09-09-2018, 12:53 PM
It's my understanding that you cut a piece off, apply it to the item to be blasted, laser the image away, then go blast it. I've never been under the impression that you laser designs and peel and stick them after the fact. I could be wrong. I've only used it once and that was because I had a sample and I was in a jam, and we applied it, lasered it, then blasted it.

Mike Null
09-09-2018, 2:23 PM
The stuff I've used had an adhesive back.

Gary Hair
09-09-2018, 3:39 PM
You apply it to the substrate, as Steve/Scott suggested, laser it, then sandblast. Unlike something like Anchor stencil, there is no carrier and no way to apply transfer tape so you can pre-laser it.

Steve Middleton
09-09-2018, 7:12 PM
OK, that's what I was getting at.....I was thinking in terms of pre-lasering then applying.

You apply it to the substrate, as Steve/Scott suggested, laser it, then sandblast. Unlike something like Anchor stencil, there is no carrier and no way to apply transfer tape so you can pre-laser it.

Chris Achtschin
09-12-2018, 4:43 PM
There is a carrier which makes it easier to apply lasertape, after applying remove carrier and laser.

Jeff Watkins
09-12-2018, 11:41 PM
I use the Ikonics Green Laser Mask. They also make a orange that's supposedly for earlier laser visibility. I think it has a little less play or stretch and doesn't confirm to round ball shared items as well.

The green you can cut to size then apply it to the glass or whatever then peel away the clear carrier sheet as previously stated. I put my masked glass into a plastic bag then tape it up and overlap the green made. You want to blast the mask shortly after engraving it, as it can 'relax' if left to long and especially if stretched around something like a Moscow mule your mug. The green isn't rigid so it's nice for ball or odd shapes but it does require some extra attention. I'll also say that it's tacky but not sticky in that if you want to do a rock or something pourous then spray track would probably help.