PDA

View Full Version : For goodness sake, someone tell them about ....

Derek Cohen
09-07-2018, 11:42 PM
... high speed steel, CBN wheels and the Festool Domino!

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/152-1411/features/2591-germany-recreating-neolithic-toolkit

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dave Zellers
09-08-2018, 12:07 AM
>>Thus, he and a motley collection of archaeologists, amateur woodworkers, historical reenactors, and flintknapping hobbyists<<

Come on! Seriously. He couldn't bring himself to write Motley Crew? :rolleyes:

Lame.

Larry Frank
09-08-2018, 7:37 AM
Extremely interesting that they could chop down oak trees and make tenons with stone and bone tools 7000 years ago.

Derek Cohen
09-08-2018, 8:14 AM
Extremely interesting that they could chop down oak trees and make tenons with stone and bone tools 7000 years ago.

Isn't it just.

Plus, there was a comment from one of the researchers that they were examining the tool marks made. It was interesting that the edge of the stone axe they used felt smooth, yet they could detect the microscopic serrations in the edge in the surface it had worked. This reminded me of the discussions about sanding versus planing on the finish.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark Hennebury
09-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Interesting article Derek, thanks for posting.

Richard Line
09-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Derek, thanks for posting this article. Very interesting on many levels. The description of the bone chisels really caught my attention. I think those red T-shirts are a badge of honor.

John K Jordan
09-08-2018, 1:38 PM
I once made a handle for a blacksmith's throwing axe head, a design from far in the past. He had a list of types of wood for the most authentic replica. This design was so old he said historians had no clue as to the type of wood originally used until someone dug up axes from a well. The wooden handles for these were so well preserved they could determine the species from the end grain examination! I forget now what wood I used but it was on the list. :)

JKJ

... high speed steel, CBN wheels and the Festool Domino!
https://www.archaeology.org/issues/152-1411/features/2591-germany-recreating-neolithic-toolkit

Jim Koepke
09-08-2018, 1:50 PM
Derek, Thanks for settling the question about what really makes a Neander.

Maybe Rob Lee can introduce a line of stone and bone tools for those of us interested. A mastodon's thy bone would likely be a good body for a plane with a flint edge blade.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
09-08-2018, 1:56 PM
Derek, Thanks for settling the question about what really makes a Neander.

Maybe Rob Lee can introduce a line of stone and bone tools for those of us interested. A mastodon's thy bone would likely be a good body for a plane with a flint edge blade.

jtk
Low angle or high angle or does that depend on the age of the mastodon?

Kees Heiden
09-09-2018, 4:34 AM
Just think about chopping into oak endgrain with an antler or bone chisel! Those guys and gals must have been top notch sharpening experts by the time they finished one mortise!

I had read this article before but kind of forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it up again.

Jason Lester
09-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Just think about chopping into oak endgrain with an antler or bone chisel! Those guys and gals must have been top notch sharpening experts by the time they finished one mortise!

I'll bet it sharpens easier than A2 though!

Sean Nagle
09-09-2018, 2:20 PM
... high speed steel

High Speed Steel! Are you a caveman?

Everyone knows you can't do real woodworking without PMV-11 and Tungsten-Carbide cutting edges ;)

Sean Nagle
09-09-2018, 3:02 PM
What amazes me more than the woodworking is that the 7,000 year-old woodworkers had come up with a rectilinear form from which to assemble the well. Stacking logs is one thing, but this demonstrates engineering and architectural thinking.

Van Huskey
09-09-2018, 4:37 PM
What they failed to chronical in the article was the first documented case of mass murder among humans. It is believed to be a result of a disagreement over full bevel or micro-bevel sharpening of rocks.