PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Time

Jacob Laginess
09-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone, I have been a long-time lurker that's going to be buying a machine in the near future. I've been trying to search the forums as much as possible to get as much information as I can, which has been immensely helpful. The one thing I can't seem to find is how long it would take an average Chinese machine to engrave a logo that is approximately 5" x 7" in glass. Caveats: I realize that the answer is "it depends", I'm just looking for a ballpark guess, specifically just for the engraving time (not set-up). Also, I know many people don't like how a laser engraves on glass and that there are a lot of difficulties in doing so.

I'm trying to verify my calculations to ensure the purchase price of an engraver is justified based on what I'm trying to do and how long it will take. Thanks!

Kev Williams
09-06-2018, 12:50 PM
assuming 500mm/second, which is 19.68" per second, running a solid 7" long x 5" tall square---
7" is 1/3 of 21" which is pretty close to 19.68, so factoring stop & return raster time, lets just say the gantry will make 3 sweeps per second-

at 500 lines per inch resolution (reasonably high quality),
5" down = 2500 lines,
/ 3 lines per second = 833.33 seconds,
= 13.9 minutes...

cut down to 400 lines res,
5" down = 2000 lines,
/ 3 LPS = 666.66 seconds,
= 11.11 minutes

cut down to 300 lines res,
5" down = 1500 lines,
/3 LPS = 500 seconds,
= 8.33 minutes

Wood is usually forgiving enough to run in the 300 lines ranges, other materials may like higher res for better detail. And most Chinese machines don't engrave unnecessary white space beyond the edges of what's actually engraving so that helps speed things up.

Jacob Laginess
09-06-2018, 2:02 PM
Sweet, that was really helpful. A little longer than I was hoping for, but good to know. I've read that an American machine is faster... how much faster? Maybe the time difference will justify the price differential... Thanks!

Bill George
09-06-2018, 2:48 PM
Sweet, that was really helpful. A little longer than I was hoping for, but good to know. I've read that an American machine is faster... how much faster? Maybe the time difference will justify the price differential... Thanks!

So are you basing your business model on one job and the difference between 17 minutes and 8 minutes for a profit? Just wondering.

Jacob Laginess
09-06-2018, 2:56 PM
Good question, and not exactly. I'm probably going to do this because it sounds fun and enjoyable. I have one specific product in mind, but several other ideas and I'm confident that I can be profitable due to a well identified niche market. I'm actually using my idea as part of something I need to do to complete my masters degree, and I needed that piece of information to justify my financial projections. It's not a make-or-break deal, and profit is made either way, just wondering how much! Thanks!

Bill George
09-06-2018, 4:26 PM
Good question, and not exactly. I'm probably going to do this because it sounds fun and enjoyable. I have one specific product in mind, but several other ideas and I'm confident that I can be profitable due to a well identified niche market. I'm actually using my idea as part of something I need to do to complete my masters degree, and I needed that piece of information to justify my financial projections. It's not a make-or-break deal, and profit is made either way, just wondering how much! Thanks!

What you are not understanding there is more than engraving time to be factored in. There is design, furnishing proof copy to the customer, setting up the rotary, trial runs and then the packing and re-packing of the items. I as assuming some sort of production run of say 10, 100 or even more of the same logo?

Jacob Laginess
09-06-2018, 4:40 PM
Thanks again for the follow up, I appreciate you taking the time to make sure a newbie like myself doesn't make a huge mistake! I did some glass engraving by hand using a Dremel tool, so I'm aware of many of the aspects surrounding the production of the product. I'm not sure how big my runs would be, probably closer to 10 than 100, as my product would be somewhat customizable, but it's flat glass pieces (not round), so no rotary and the ability to do more than one at a time depending on table size.

Bill George
09-07-2018, 7:23 AM
Well your the one that will need to make the decision or US or Chinese machine. With Trumps new tariff in place it gives the US makers a little more edge on price. Once in a while a used machine will be listed on Sawmill Creek classifieds.

Scott Shepherd
09-07-2018, 8:01 AM
There's a Universal PLS4.60 90W for sale for $12,500 with the cutting table, 4" lens, and Purex filtration system by a member right now. Tube just recharged last week. I don't know if he had it listed in the classified but I know he's listed it on the Universal Laser FB Group.