PDA

View Full Version : Edge and corner trim for ceramic tile - how hard to use?

Stephen Tashiro
09-05-2018, 11:43 AM
How hard is it for a non-professional to use metal trim pieces when setting outer corners with ceramic tile? - or on the top edge of tlle baseboards?

The tile work I've seen locally makes outer corners on ceramic tile by stopping each tile short of the corner and leaving a gap exactly along the corner. The gap is grouted. On a tile baseboard, the top edge of the tile is grouted so the grout slopes from the wall over the top of the tile. To me, it would look better to use bullnose tile or metal trim in those situations.

Bullnose tile is usually expensive and not always available, so I understand why it isn't used. But why isn't metal trim commonly used? Is it tricky or time consuming to install?

If I use metal trim on the outer corner of a baseboard and also on top of the baseboard, how should I fabricate the joint where the 3 pieces of trim meet?

Todd Mason-Darnell
09-05-2018, 1:45 PM
"But why isn't metal trim commonly used?"

Cost.

"Is it tricky or time consuming to install?"

Yes and no.

All good tile work requires patience and precision. Use of the metal edging will create a flat, straight reference line that will highlight any imperfects like a lady of questionable virtue in a house of worship. With the other two more common process of creating the edge, you can fudge if your course is off or if there is some unevenness in the height of your tile or if you wall is problematic. It will still be noticeable if you look, but the variation in the grout can help hide all sorts of imperfections. If you put in a metal straight edge as a good reference point, all those imperfections will pop right out.

"If I use metal trim on the outer corner of a baseboard and also on top of the baseboard, how should I fabricate the joint where the 3 pieces of trim meet?"

Depending the manufacture of the edging, there should be pre-made pieces for interior, exterior and 3 way joints.

Here is a sample installation instruction video (I have no connection to the manufacturer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9CCN9lS5dA

Steve Rozmiarek
09-06-2018, 9:18 AM
I use the Schluter edging often. Check out their colors, profiles and sizes on their website, the options are tremendous. Sticks range from $12 to $50, depending on what you want. There are some places that nothing but a trim piece will work correctly, others where a bullnose looks best. Schluter Rondec in 100 size, RTGB color is the most common by far for me.

It's aluminum, I just cut it with my worksite mitre saw. The webbing on the backside gets set in the thinset. You can screw it on too, but it's unnecessary and makes it hard to adjust your ending grout line as you get there. As for that three corner joint, miter the two horizontal and butt the vertical. Schluter makes little end pieces that allow you to only use but joints if you prefer. I find them a clunky PITA to use, so I don't. Because you are grouting, mitres and joints can actually give a groutline if you want.

As for using the edging, I love the product, but it's a design choice. In the white shower pic below, I just mitred the tile in the wall pocket to give it a smoother look, in the wood paneled one I used Rondec as a color contrast to give it a little "zing". Both showers are incomplete in these photos, for the record.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/x5V26Ui7162v2v7elc1sbN8dm3a_kWYWfXxt4TybBM3OVFjQWi TLwk2MGqO7CrB88BP8pLMa4pY5w8gCowp53mS5dUFcAO-2LE7pWWl4CGgnuXQOHvhKs2aVjkv6x3lspe-rk64opiMHRWrxf5eMBi9l085wP4dt0qfePcHWwBznEtnIJ31OP Ik90WqnnPpSt_i2scdpI94zf3dCw_eCSTWXXe7bHvoOTvTqVQw ccpGG7Wnmtw_Z5U-VyUdm3oOP-DVFCL_xHAKBOVFyZ_eBQC8Xf4sa8rx8XqehycgFchKR7B36C4Y nAuvn0J3KbSlAhvuMOn-mgz7Gx3rqslH3AuxB2dZx7-RmkTlT9XrgnDfkxQ7qlYjUvEN9JEOjwddn6lFzA-vWm0I1cK3Zg-vjK2KSubRjPyx8z_I-74AhXls24fbPgq_IoFLn0hCUwY_29OBb1_JYE1r3MX7e5irY3S AV2tRkwRes4Z2drpN-joJFmHuJfektR3enma0lzM5Y1QWJY5L_GqAR0PoIeM2NoeAKOF gwdTnQL-5-Tspa6ohveEBiRaT1AyEbcQ5rM0XY2oQdC8eP1etUbhIcgzhW_4 apFhTECWAqXtAyn95n8IutrjReFs0MzYsWbL6xg29v=w708-h943-nohttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cJLihxKKa6MF9ET2RDppqn6iQVZuj8YuuDrZ-Nplu5knYhyaHqVwXfA3sCCdCpgSbjjNLydNF2C2kUv72K485Wb w8xvsFdfWpTBit671aBtQNvNlWRO-OvTU2XdxZpOECjY_wvF_OchD6PUhsiIWD1kMEdxCDvq0xWPOpC AuVX1eCBtAJtZbWVH1Fqyz7A1yKb_eOfaB8I0ctWr47Rd88De9 0NNwO-uZ-qdPByZ-JsXg3YucNLvelLjDwDKVFkcGTAteTWz04pXLmgCAtYi6K8kMTI CIJHisVst32Teirgd0xT-RDvAh1TNXQRTy_MvfcmB_iyUGId_SdhCXQl5ujscJspwjJC3r7 imGhdl_73UeFCmxHYsT2LRgEA4tn-lbfGlqD86i_wyTkFlGTvh87iMyUeYiJFbVNmw-KmACzg2Tu--I6Jg2zSzD3KOW8eqe4V-_O7xGuS_YueJ4cHaWeLeG2CHsRcNYZ1FP3Xnw5uxxqpeEpVNaC IfL_zGy7nBhnbUY6biO59X7d5hoxuQZnrO-t1vK3teS1Bb065krhCBpsQpZtwH0rZETxt2fNnQwSVPvTKazXl EfXONz62rRK3m_jOce2Gs-ESti-N1ndLMYAFaP1CQ3Kr7tt7gb9-gy=w531-h943-no

Wayne Lomman
09-07-2018, 7:01 PM
Where I am, metal trim is commonly used. It is straightforward to use. Contrary to other comments, it actually assists in getting a job straight and neat. After it is installed you have basically have guides that you can use to check your levels.

Mitres are not too hard. Use a bit of scrap or even scrap timber to calculate the cuts required.

When cutting the extrusions with a drop saw, remember that they are thin walled and therefore can grab on the blade. Cut them together with a piece of timber at the same time and remember to wax the blade. Cheers