PDA

View Full Version : Sublimation Machine, laser spindle or fiber laser?

Michael Kenny
09-05-2018, 6:53 AM
Hello! I'm currently running a versalaser 30W with CorelDraw. Looking at the possibility of expanding in to additional media but prior to doing so I thought I'd ask for your opinions.
Do you feel that I'd get more demand for etchings on cups etc or for color options with a sublimation Machine or fiber laser for added lasering options? I'm just a 1 guy shop and trying to drum up some more business.
I'd love to hear your thoughts (and machine manufacturer recommendations as well)!
Thanks in advance!

Tim Bateson
09-05-2018, 9:15 AM
Wow! That's a big ask. The answer from me - 11 years in my location Co2/Fiber/Sublimation/Former vinyl cutter (equipment now gather dust).... Every market is different. What works for me, may or may not work for the guy one town over. You can take any of those technologies and make a full-time money making job out of, or it could be a complete bust. I've learned over the years to feel my market place. I've changed my business model and re-aimed my focus for the work that is in demand for my area. I do business for companies close by I never knew existed, and products I would never had imaged working with.
I have periods that Yet or Yeti style cups are everywhere in the shop. Other times I'm flooded with machine shop parts. At times I can hardly keep up with firearm engraving (yes, I have an FFL).
If you want to focus on cups, you already have a CO2 - much better than a Fiber for that job. I think the consensus here is using a Fiber for Color marking is not a profitable venture. For both Color & Fiber Marking of cups, it's such a slow process, making it cost prohibitive.

Mike Null
09-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Before you buy new equipment it is a good idea to have a market for what it will produce. If you don't then you'll be putting the equipment in the corner to gather dust, all the while wishing you had not spent the money.

Like Tim, I have re-focused my efforts several times over the years. That involved selling off equipment that I no longer used and always at a loss.

Michael Kenny
09-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Thanks gentlemen. I value your insights and appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Kev Williams
09-05-2018, 3:28 PM
There's two good ways to make money in this business:
-providing a service to the general population-
-providing a service to other businesses...

and there's one good way to starve to death in this business:
-produce an array of really cool stuff, set up a sales website or mall kiosk and sit back and enjoy the windfall...

;)

Mike Null
09-05-2018, 4:20 PM
Keep in mind that virtually everything you may want to do can be outsourced until you determine the feasibility of purchasing equipment.