PDA

View Full Version : New stash of lumber

steven c newman
09-04-2018, 6:38 PM
Has arrived in the house...will leave it sit a few days, and let it get used to things around here...
Fellow had 4 planks to give me, as "payment" for my wife cleaning his house....at 11'6" or there abouts, they were a bit long to fit IN my van....roughly cut them into halves...so, now I have 8 planks at 1 x 6 x 5'6", or so...got them home, set them up against the wall, and clamped them all together...trying to pull some of the bows out...
Some longer, some shorter...grain isn't all that "Wild"
Should be enough ( 23bf?) to do the case work needed. May have to go back and get a second batch...for a pair of doors, and a few shelves. The Boss wants an Entertainment Center, that also holds a fireplace insert (electric one)....may need to straight-line rip a few edges..
As the sides and the top will be glue ups.
This stack also came home, but from the Wapak area. May have a use for these....accent pieces?
Maybe have this done by October? We'll see...stay tuned.

Mark Rainey
09-04-2018, 6:56 PM
What type of wood is that Steven?

steven c newman
09-04-2018, 7:00 PM
Ash for the planks. Seems to be a mix of Flooring "shorts" mostly oak....will have to strip off the finish,and find out. Will need to plane the backs, as well...has those grooves going on. May make them into thinner panels, for the doors.

steven c newman
09-04-2018, 9:47 PM
Ok...from the ad...
THIS is what the Boss wants....rather than this..
The insert is sold at Menard's...need to measure that to get the opening size. 2 doors..2 drawers ( drat) and a shelf for the cable boxes...open back behind the insert, and the cable boxes....Not sure about adjustable shelves inside the doors....1..2...3? Don't need DVD racks inside...

Black items are metal brackets...bolted in place....we can do better...same with those feet.

While I let the lumber get "Happy", I can plan something up....Looking like 3'6" tall, by 4'6" wide? We'll see....don't want it to look too boxy..

steven c newman
09-05-2018, 1:36 PM
Ok...just what I wanted to do today...walk across a parking lot that is having all the cracks filled/sealed....fresh, sticky, TAR....smells like money, to some..

Goal was to take a pen, some paper, a tape measure, and the camera to the local BigLots store in town. Had to go back to the van and retrieve the pen & paper...must be the fumes.

Sooo, this is what the boss wants? Stands 36" tall, top is 16" wide, and 54" long.....may do some adjusting with that.
What LOOKS like a drawer..
About like the "wood" in this...fake. Could do a Frame & Raised Panel door....jury is still out about the drawer....
Ah...no..not going to happen. The top is also this thick ( 3" or so).....we can do better.

R.O. for the "heater insert' is 22" wide, by 20-1/2" tall. Face frame is out of 1 x 4 stuff.....except on the sides of the heater opening..1-1/2" wide.....shelf is 24" wide.

"Feet"? are about 2-3" high blocks.....we can do better.

Depending on how tall she wants this thing to be...I can start gluing up panels...

Boss has just decided....41" tall, over all. Gonna need more lumber...

steven c newman
09-05-2018, 5:32 PM
Busy day? Hauled the 5 shortest planks to the shop...
There are still 3 more upstairs, even longer.
Marked out for about 41" in length...not concerned about square right now...just breaking things down to be close, to what I need....trying to cut off the worst of each plank..
As much as I like a good handsaw....I didn't feel like using one, today..
Worked my way down the stack. using a couple scraps and a clamp, and....
Well, it IS a Vintage saw, right. Stacked the four worse ones aside..
Then snapped a couple blue lines...
Plan was to use the bandsaw to cut these. Bandsaw seemed afraid to get any of this blue stuff on the blade...kept trying to follow the grain, instead..
Stay tuned...more to come...

steven c newman
09-05-2018, 5:43 PM
Ok, got the lines cut...needed to joint the two parts to match each other..
Got my "Cardio" for today. Used a couple Jack planes too. Some places were just too .."off" ..had to knock those down a bit...
hey, it IS a Jack plane, right?
Got the edges straight and both parts close to the same size...cleared the bench. Those four planks against the washer? each was laid on the bench. I used one of the filler strips I had just done, to mark a straight line along each edge...some needed more work than others...some other day...
Got to about here..was having issues with the back...decided to just set three parts up...
Once the Gaposis is fixed, I can glue this up. Will be one of the end panels. Once it is out of the clamps, I can cut one end square, and cut out a foot detail on the other end....and try to remove the worse areas on that end. Then do the second panel...

Right now, back is even stiffer than these boards. was getting tired of dripping onto the lumber. Decided to call it a day...

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-05-2018, 9:51 PM
Rested the back a bit, down-sized a plane...from the No. 8 to a No. 7c....
Got two planks jointed well enough to do a glue up..
needed cauls on both ends.
Wanted one end as straight as I could get it. Will call this end the top. Other end will get a foot profile sawn into it.
Didn't make too much of a mess..
Maybe tomorrow evening..I can have the other side in the clamps?

Stay tuned...

Stew Denton
09-05-2018, 11:35 PM
Hi Steven,

When I saw that stack of lumber I though "Steven is back in business," and I was right on the money. Good Job!

Stw

steven c newman
09-06-2018, 5:34 PM
Lumber run today...dodging rain showers, too.

Picked seven 1 x 2 x8' Pine boards....webframes. One under the top, one under the center dividers, and one for the bottom. Exposed areas will get a "skin" of 1/4" plywood.

Picked a pair of 1 x 12 x 4' boards...as clear as I could dig out. These will become the two center dividers. Will have to cut both for length...and allow for the webframe to go through. May use a dado to secure the dividers.

First...Bug Bombed the shop. Getting tired of cobwebs on everything I touch....you'd think Hermann Munster lived down there! Spectracide Bug Stop...almost an entire can's worth....letting that do it's thing, before I go back to the shop....Maybe take the clamps off, and try to do the other side panel?....Webframe build will be Friday or Saturday....Boss is still shopping for the fireplace insert....need the size to make the opening for it....

steven c newman
09-07-2018, 3:54 PM
This morning was a bit busy, busy, busy.....Computer issues, restarts (4 ), and a bunch of scans.....takes a while...

Decided to kill a bit of time, while it was trying to restart...removed the clamps from Panel #1..
And jointed the two outside edges...usual suspects for that..
Jack plane to get things close, No.7c to do the final jointing...set this panel aside..
Same thing..jack to level things down a bit, then the Jointer to remove the higher spots until the low spots also shine up...checked for gaps..
And any rocking, end to end. Once a nice fit was made, marked these two mating surfaces...and work on the other 1 x 6. just need a jointed edge for the glue joint...for now
Once that was done, spread a bead of glue along one edge, next part is slid around a bit into the glue, then do the same for the other joint..
Only thing keeping this together, was the glue. Gaps at this end will go away, once the foot profile is cut out...still, decided to add a few clamps..
Same as before. Center clamp first, then the ends, then the cauls..
Set the first panel on top of a piece of scrap pine,,,to keep it off the floor ( in case another creek comes through...
Busy morning? Well, the floor was clean, before I started in...
Was ankle deep when I quit. letting this sit a while...need to start drawing a "Plan" of some sort...maybe Boris and Natasha won't steal it, this time?
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-08-2018, 3:58 PM
Both sides are now done. Three edges were jointed..the fourth..took a while
had both clamped together, so I could plane them to match in width..
Hmmm, this will take a while
Jack plane to work things down fast...until close enough for the #7c to finish up...
WAS going to gang the sides up, square one end ( as the top) and do the foot profile separately...but.
I no longer trust this square.....went back, re-marked the lines, and made a square cut...one plank at a time....#62 to shoot the edges.
Foot profile?
Using a Vintage saw. Laid this on the second panel ( found out about the square issues) finally, after a lot of cussing & cutting..
BOTH sides are done. Laid these back on to the bench, for now ( just in case, with all the rain around here) Clamped them together....
Even did a little flattening....
Now comes the drawing part...stay tuned...

David Eisenhauer
09-08-2018, 5:54 PM
The new plane seems to have a place in the rotation. I assume it is working well for you.

steven c newman
09-08-2018, 6:24 PM
So far...Been trying it in different jobs....Ash makes a decent test bed...

steven c newman
09-09-2018, 11:30 AM
We have Plan! Drew a little sketch last night...
More of a front view, minus any face frames...needed to find out where the web frames will go, and the two dividers...that block on the bottom will be a 2 x 6 "foot" to support the center of this thing.
Web frame?
I need to build two of these, the second one will get an "extra" rail, to attach the center foot to. Have to set the frames in a bit at the back. A rebate for the plywood back will be back there. Corner blocks to attach the top with. and stiffen the frames. No racking, that way. Need to haul this mess..
Well, the pen and stand goes to the computer desk, the paperwork and rule will head to the shop...along with this stack..
For now the pine will do...the three sticks of Ash will be for the face frames, and other "show" places...like the doors. May haul these two down..
Once the frames are built...
60s for the "High" today....hope the rain is done. May get some work done, and warm up? Don't need the fan going today.

Stay tuned....the cussing is about to commence ;)

steven c newman
09-09-2018, 9:26 PM
Top frame is done, and in the clamps....was a LONG day..
Had to take a break before I could clamp and glue this mess...no screws?
Kind of needed them for these...

Cut the 4 stiles on the small mitre box, at 50-1/2" long....plus 9 rails,
At 11-1/2" long....set aside the scraps, to be cut into those corner blocks..
Set up to do mortises...
After I had cut all them tenons...as I size the mortise to these..
Once the mortises were all chopped and fitted, I could work on getting 8 corner blocks fitted and drilled..
At which point, I found out there were no screws IN the shop. So, after a break to catch up on football, off to buy some screws.

I think that will do for one day....stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-10-2018, 2:09 PM
Monday means the shop is normally closed...

Had a Doctor's Visit today.....was just a Wellness Check-up....40 mile drive each way....

Debating on going to the shop, anyway....bored just sitting around...we'll see.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-10-2018, 8:20 PM
Being bored can be a great motivator....somedays.
Bottom frame is glued up....and set aside...
Had two 1 x 12s that needed trimmed for length. Got rid of the bad square, found one that IS square. These will be 33-1/2" long (tall?) dividers...one of the two boards had "issues" (besides crooked ends)
393104:eek::mad:
Guess which part was cut off...
! x 12s are a bit too narrow....need them to be about..14" wide. Cut a few 1 x 2s, and glued one on each edge of the 1 x 12..
Once the glue had set up on the frame...I could use those clamps for the other divider..
And let it hang out here a while...frames can sit a day or two..
Have a few other chores to do...like a rebate along the back edges of the two side panels...to house a plywood back. Then start cutting face frame parts out of ash...might even do some assembly, this week?
Stay tuned

BTW: Anyone want to see HOW I do the mortises on the ends of the frames?

steven c newman
09-11-2018, 2:41 PM
While waiting on Mr.Gumption to haul me to the shop....
Here goes..
I
mark out where a mortise will go, matched to the tenon that will go there...using that tenon as a pattern..
Whether a normal mortise like this one, or..
Out on an end, like this one. Figure these would "blow out" anyway. Then some cuts with a backsaw..
I even drag the toe of the saw back out a few times, to deepen the cut at the back....then a hole is dug..
Then the chisel is layed down, bevel up..
And the waste gets popped out...a bit of pare work until the tenon fits...
Looks good...move on to the next hole. Takes about the same amount of time..
Either way....as long as the tenons fit...
Works for me..YMMV..

Maybe after supper, I can get to the shop..stay tuned.

steven c newman
09-11-2018, 6:45 PM
Got a bit done, today. Panels are out of the clamps..
Marked for width..
Vintage saw to cut the excess off...jointer to remove the wavy cut..
A couple planes to level the panel where the add-ons were
Then the No.7c to level the entire panel..
Wasn't taking all that much off...
Not too bad, for a 100 yr old plane?
Bought some supplies for the shop..
Might come in handy ( having broken the last set of these...$3.98+tax)
Brought two boxes back to the shop....one has the Stanley #45...this one has a few other planes. Will need to set up the Wards #78 ( Stanley) for a couple rebates
First, had some holes to drill, and counter sink..Stay tuned, the next part is coming right up

steven c newman
09-11-2018, 7:00 PM
Box with the 45..
That mallet? It WAS that red handled rawhide one I was using the other day. Black tape for the handle, and even wrapped the head. .Put both away, for now...Marked a center line to show where the divders will go..and drilled a few holes..
Then a countersink..
Then set things up, to add a few screws...then set one of the side panels in place..
What you are looking at, is the case on it's side...got the #78 set up, and a scrap of 1/4" plywood to set the depth.
Set the first panel in the vise, and clamped the far end. And made some shavings..
A LOT of shavings..
Was getting a bit tired..decided to set things up as they will be when done. I'll work on the other rebate later..I just c clamped things up
Need to cut one more rebate for the plywood back. Then work on a face frame...a few shelves, and two doors...might be a busy week?
"Busy, busy, ..BUSY".....stay tuned...and pass the Gatorade!

steven c newman
09-12-2018, 1:56 PM
This morning's issues with the TV, Phones ( landline and cell) and the computer ( blame it on Hurricane Flo?) kind of forced me to haul some planks to the shop, while waiting for things electronic to repair themselves....took a morning....most issues resolved ....planks also had "issues" seems to be the theme for today?
Two of the 1 x 6 Ash boards...number 3 had a small edge knot as well. Face frame parts to be made this morning...
Needed to trim one end ( without the knot) nice and square...was having issues with the circular saw wiggling through the cut, so I set up a speed square to guide it along it's merry way..
Then turn things around, and cut this one for length...then got out some layout toys..
Mark a few lines..curves and straights. On the third try, I found a SHARP blade for the Vintage B&D Green Sabresaw....was a case of clamp, saw, move, clamp, saw....reach the center, turn things around and start from the other end....clamp, saw, move, clamp, saw...until the last of the "scrap" dropped off. Stand it up on the bench..
Then set it out of the way ( had more boards to mill) so might as well see what it will look like?
Had two "stiles' to mill...3/4" x 2" x 40" long. Then a top rail @ 3/4" x 3" x 52-1/2" long...
Still need to do the center two rails, and build a fixed shelf in the middle...and..maybe something else....:confused::rolleyes:

Used the bench's crochet..
Set in place, mallet to drive the board tight, tighten the leg vise....and run the Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7 a few times.
Set the four parts set are milled into place ( roughly, no joints have been done, yet) may do just plain old 1/2 laps? We'll see...
Figured this was enough for one morning....got the stuff upstairs fixed, repaired, restarted....and set down in front of a fan....I am soaked. Road trip after a bit, lumber run! Maybe later this evening, I can get a little bit done?
Stay tuned

steven c newman
09-12-2018, 5:57 PM
Road trip done. Had to cut two 1 x 6 x 11' 9" Ash boards down a bit.....to fit in my van....one "Half" of each is 80" long

Flooring shorts were planed down....to remove the old finish....and those grooves on the back....seems to be a mix of Oak and Cherry....May use the oak as panels for the doors....where the "fake" drawers were on the original piece.

Will see how Supper settles in....may go back to the shop,later.

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Those "fake" drawers will get combined into a single drawer in the middle. Need to build two webframes for that. Face frame to it's front,one is the top rail, the lower one has a curve cut to it....then a fixed shelf over the opening for the heater insert. Not using the shelf pins in the side openings, inside the two doors, will be just two fixed shelves inside each.

May work on gluing up a top for this thing...will see how today goes along.

steven c newman
09-13-2018, 2:44 PM
Got a couple tasks done, so far.....out of a long list...taking a Gatorade Break along with a few Cheese Sticks.....then back to work..

steven c newman
09-13-2018, 6:39 PM
3 tasks were completed today.....in 4 hours? Getting slow in me dotage.....Anyway..needed to reabte the back edge of the other side panel...BEFORE I can attach the sides to the "mainframes"
Wards (Stanley) #78 made a mess, too.
All of that, from one rebate?
Took a bit of moving things around, a lot of cussing ( Paris Island Day #1) and finally..
Oh, and turn this thing around, so I can work on the front of the case. Whew....two tasks done.....#3 will take a while longer...
Unable to get to my "normal" Mitresaws....set out the GEM Mitre box. Used both a Disston D-112 and the No.4 I use for joinery,,,had to cut parts for two webframes..
Tenons were done at the bandsaw. One part in this stack is for a kicker. It will go under the frame above the drawer. Kicker keeps the drawer from tipping down, when you slide it out a bit far..
Got one frame done, and stashed out of the way, until the glue dries..
Will drill it for screws, later. set up for the second frame....
Decided it was time for a Gatorade Break...
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-13-2018, 6:50 PM
Got the mounting holes drilled....kicker attached...needed a way to "locate" where this will go....clamped the top rail to the case. Bottom edge of the kicker is flush with the bottom edge of the top rail
Was a tight, slip-fit anyway. Once the front of the kicker was where it was supposed to be, I could set up a combo square to check the depth of the rest of the frame. hammer to "nudge" it into place. Drive a few 2" screws, no glue.
The other frame needed drilled and counter bored...ran out of the longer screws...
Does not need a kicker. needed to "locate" where this will go. Have a blank for the drawer front. Frame needs to be just a hair below the bottom edge of the blank. Clamped the blank in place..
Mark a few lines. Remove the blank, and a large square to carry the top line all the way across to the back....heavy line..so I can see it. Again, a tight slip-fit, hammer to nudge it along, one side screwed in place..more nudging...drive one screw with the hammer, to stop any wiggling going on...then drive the screws home..whew..
Waiting for when the drawer appears on the to-do list..
And that was the third task for today. Stashed the rest of the parts, about where they will go...
4 hours work. Need to mill the rest of the face frame parts, connect them all up, and attach them to the case....have an 80" long 1 x 6 to cut into parts.
Have enough other 1 x 6s to make a top panel..54" long....should be a three board glue up....THAT will be fun...anyone want to show up and help out?

Stay tuned..

David Myers
09-13-2018, 8:44 PM
Looking good, Steven.

steven c newman
09-13-2018, 8:55 PM
Thanks for looking in.

steven c newman
09-14-2018, 5:04 PM
This is the way I was taught to do these...back in the 60s...
Mark it out, then it is as simple as 1
repeat as needed.
the four corners have been milled, need fine tuned. There will be two more uprights, one on either side of the drawer opening.....currently being jointed to look alike..
3/4" x 2" x 39" long...had to stop and run some errands...maybe be later, eh?

steven c newman
09-15-2018, 8:10 PM
Today was shopping day...road trip to a Home Depot. ordered a fireplace insert ( electric) for this project. Also picked through, and found a straight 1 x 6 x 6' Pine board....only defects were a few small pin knots. Stopped at a garage sale......did not need a B&D 8" Radial Arm Saw.....stopped at Wall E World and picked up a new bottle of glue..old one was keeping a bit low...

Then took a nap......

Will see how tomorrow goes....having to wait 10 days for the insert to arrive, might change a few things around. Need to kill some time....

Stay tuned

steven c newman
09-16-2018, 12:20 AM
Computer was "off-line, for awhile. . having issues with lagging behind....went to the shop for a bit..got the corner joints fine tuned up, and a couple new ones done..made a mess, too

Should have seen the floor...corners are done, right side of the case is almost done..
Left side will be tomorrow, I hope..
Get the leaning board done, and then one more for now..

Curved board goes along the bottom edge of the drawer opening
These areas will get a thin plywood skin glued in place.
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-16-2018, 8:16 PM
Getting there..
Which leaves this part...for now..

There is to be a fixed shelf below this...will have to wait for the heater insert to show up. May use the flanges around the heater to face mount it in place...then cover them with a molding....

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-17-2018, 5:06 PM
About ready for glue and clamps?
Going to assemble this with glue and clamps, away from the case...have a few warped areas to pull into place. Then attach the completed frame to the case..then work on a drawer?
The Boss picked the hinges and handles out..
Rather fancy..
Going with three hinges per door. Doors and the drawr will get that knob...bought some "Fender" washers to set under the knob, so it doesn't get pulled into the wood...

Anyone want to show up and help assemble and glue and clamp the face frame? Should prove entertaining...

Stay tuned

steven c newman
09-17-2018, 6:08 PM
Joint work...
Changed from a half lap to a dovetail.....saw to made a few cuts
Chisel and a plane, to remove the waste..
Test for fit, then do the other side of the drawer opening...
If you should hear a lot of cussing going on..it will be me, gluing and clamping the face frame into a single unit....

Next up? After attaching the frame to the case...might try the drawer build, next.....and then two doors...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Waiting on Lunch to settle...and see IF I can find enough clamps and cauls...before the glue-ups can begin...You all are more than welcome to drop by and help out..:cool:..might be entertaining....good thing there won't be a video :eek::rolleyes::D

"Film at 2300 hrs, ZULU" I hope......

steven c newman
09-18-2018, 3:46 PM
Lets see...pile of every small clamp I have..
Check. Still wasn't enough, though. Cut a few cauls, make sure there is enough glue for the job..
Check. Set the bottom rail in the vise...the wrong way (twice? :eek:) Finally ready to glue this mess together..
Needed to work from the inside looking out on this....Clamps and cauls seemed to work better..
Halfway there...needed a couple longer clamps..to push or pull things into alignment...finally...I think..
Had to use about half of my F style clamps, because..
These were all gone. Will let this sit a day....I also cleared the top of the case off, for now. hauled the three planks that will make up the top itself, and plunked them down on the case..
And these two were the shorter ones..
More about these three, in the next episode

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-18-2018, 3:58 PM
Ok...both of the 60" long planks had and issue..or two..
You can see the other knot in the background. We have ways..
1-1/2" needs ripped off...just enough to relieve the two shorter boards of these knots...and get a halfway straight edge...

Besides being 20" too long...the other end on the long plank has issues...
Knots, again...the one in front has snipe...will crosscut to length to remove both...and still have plenty of overhang on the ends...maybe enough to cut a curved corner?
Also need to crosscut the drawer front blank to final size....but,,,right now, I can't get to my bench....have a frame in the way. May take another Vintage Circular saw to the shop, and an E-cord...and do the rough cuts over on the case...still have a couple clamps I could use...to hold things steady. I also have enough pipe clamps to do a glue-up of the top...IF I can joint a few edges...
Cussing level wasn't..too bad....

Stay tuned...maybe after the shop cools down ( and ME), I can get a little bit done?

steven c newman
09-18-2018, 7:40 PM
BTW...all the work done today, is being done on maybe 3 hours sleep....
Thanks to the frame blocking the way..I was unable to even reach my "go-to" saw...
However..I do have one other Vintage saw I can use...just had to haul it down to the shop..whew..
Craftsman 7-1/4" saw...with an Irwin rip blade...will just have to do..for now..
Top of the case made a fine saw bench, with lots of spots to add a clamp....One rip cut was done, second one was canceled...more on THAT in a moment..
Crosscuts were done, as well..even the blank for the drawer was cut for length..
The reason no second rip...was..
Width. Remember, I still have a 3/4" thick frame to add here....IF I were to rip the 1-1/2" needed to remove that knot...there won't be any overhang to the front...since I will lose alittle bit from jointing the edges..
This is as tight as the clamp can get it....waiting on the bench to clear up....then the Stanley #7c, or the Ohio No. 0-7 will straighten these edges....then maybe a glue up?
Some reason I am a bit tired out, today?
Stay tuned...might get a little more done, tomorrow....and a little more sleep?

steven c newman
09-19-2018, 10:16 AM
May meander down to the shop, after a bit....about time to remove all those clamps? Maybe drill a bunch of counter-bores with the 3/8" Forstner bit? Then the pilot holes for the mounting screws..doubt I will need any glue.

I use a plug cutter to make any plugs needed....3/8" Tapered cutter from Veritas. I make the plugs by drilling into the face grain of some Ash ( or whatever wood I am using) scraps. Trying to match the grain of the plug, to the surrounding areas. I do not have to worry about any end grain issues, because there is no end grain to see.

Once the frame is out of the way, and the bench is cleared a bit, I can joint a few edges to get a three board glue up done.

That be the "plan" for today....we'll see how that goes...stay tuned.

steven c newman
09-19-2018, 2:49 PM
Shop time was cut short...had to take the Boss to run some errands....I did get the frame out of the clamps...and set roughly to where it will go.....Have a brand new 3/8" Forstner bit in the drill. Can not use the drill press...have to use the old vintage electric drill...

Stiles for two doors have been ripped for width....need to trim for length, and joint the edges. Will see IF after Supper, whether Mr. Motivation shows up...

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-19-2018, 4:42 PM
Pictures, or it didn't happen, right? Ok....have 17 to post, might take more that a single post....if nobody minds :rolleyes:
Frame is clamped to the case...
Waiting for a few holes by this.
Then a pilot hole afterwards...
Ripped some stock for the stiles for two doors..
Then trimmed all four to rough length. Width was a different matter....tried the jack planes and the No. 7c
Problem being...one end was wider than the other....time for Heft & Hubris..
Width is now the same all the way along..
Instead of the Stanley 45 to plough a few grooves....we have other ways..
1/4" wide grooves. Will see how this works on Ash.
Had a few other parts to rough cut...stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-19-2018, 5:15 PM
Ok, other parts for two doors...needed 6 of these..
Why 6?
Top rail, "Lock rail", and bottom rail....also needed 4 smaller rails..
Intermediate rails....in keeping with the "prototype" from OddLots. Spaces will get filled with these..
Will make this one into a pair of raised panels....only need 8..

Will see how I feel after Supper....depends on if I go back to the shop..
stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-20-2018, 2:36 PM
Waiting on lunch to settle. Heart Monitor has been installed, set up, and working. 90 HUMID degrees outside....hope the shop is cooler...

On the to-do list for the shop...
Attach the face frame
glue up three planks into the top for the case
Start on the doors.

Will see how many I get done...

Killed not just one Brown Recluse nest yesterday...they had a regular Village along the south side of the house! have killed a couple IN the house, as well.

steven c newman
09-20-2018, 7:40 PM
1 out of three....baseball hitters get paid for that kind of "average"?
Trying to get the top glued up, edges needed jointed...No. 8 did most of the work...and I am soaked..
getting closer...had some areas that needed a shorter plane..
No. 6c, type 10 got a little work in, today...got three edges to match up...
Spread some glue, set some clamps..
Added some cauls at each end. This thing is just under 58" long, by 16" wide...between the Ash, and the clamps...it weighs almost as much as I do. Kind of puts a damper on any other things getting done..
Even sweeping the floor. I think I have had my Cardio for today...

Tomorrow? Visit with the Cardio Doctor about Lunchtime...maybe remove the clamps from this top, and work on the face frame install?

Insert ( electric fireplace) is supposed to arrive tomorrow, via Buster Brown...will see how THAT goes.

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-21-2018, 9:18 PM
Insert arrived today, while I was at the Cardio Doctor's office. We ordered and paid for ONE insert.....two inserts arrived? Smart phone that connects my heart monitor to their web site....went brain dead...

Computer issues all night, last night....1/2 the night to to to fix....grrrr.

Ok, got home, decided to go and hide out in the shop, for a while.....had a lot of counter-bores, and pilot holes to drill. Clamps and sticks, to push or pull things into alignment..
Had a cord reel set up..
to power a couple vintage drills..
why change bits, when I can just change drill and all. Had a third one set up..
To make sure the screws were tight...worked from right to left..
Had to slide this thing out a ways, to get my fat...foundation in there...old back does not like bending over too much, either...old knees do NOT do "kneel" anymore....so..
Tip this over as far as I can...and finish along the bottom edges...the set this back on the floor....something missing?
Well, I could at least sweep up the mess..
So...where did that slab of Ash go?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-21-2018, 9:32 PM
We now have a "Flight Deck"?
Before this could happen...I used the pilot hole drill, to make slotted holes in the top frame, so a few screws could attach this thing. Just "tacked" in place, right now...will add the rest of the screws later, as soon as I get some more washers. I was also test fitting the drawer front, to see IF it still fits...Maybe Sunday, I can start on the rest of the drawer?
Once an insert is fitted on the bottom shelf, I can build a fixed shelf above it. I can then cover the mounting flanges with molding.
Used the square to square a line on the end..then a compass..
I get tired of hitting sharp corners as I walk by things...besides, every Aircraft Carrier needs a compass, right?

It took about three tries, to get that edge knot to where it will go...over the "port side" of the deck. Glue joints need a bit of work..
The way this thing was doing tear outs...I doubt IF it will see much use for this job...may just land the Old No. 7c and let it work..
May give this a try out..need to buy ear plugs first,,,screeches as load as a beltsander....

Was getting soaked, and a bit tired and sore..called it a day. Maybe tomorrow, I can get a decent day in?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-22-2018, 4:55 PM
4 hours in the shop...had to stop for the day...top is planed flat..
One end is shaped....was cleaning a few spots up..
After the No.8 and No.7c got done.
Put this to work, door stiles needed a groove made. A little bit of candle wax goes a LONG way...
Stiles for one door are set up...needed to size the rails..
And cut them to length..
Then joint a few edges, so three wider rails all match..
And set up for a few more grooves..
The older plough was alright, for the longer stiles...was way to long for these rails. Set up the Stanley 45. And a jig to hold the rails in place..

stay tuned, BRB..

steven c newman
09-22-2018, 5:08 PM
Case of plough a groove or two, lay out for the tenons....
Depth stops set. Mitre box is a Langdon 75 ACME. Saw is a Disston No. 4, made expressly FOR this mitre box. Even has the Millers Falls etch.
Set up a way for the bandsaw to make decent cheek cuts...
Keeps the part from tipping to a side.
After a while, all three wide rails were done....which left these two..
Well, after a fight, I got the first one done of the skinny rails. They got two grooves...had to redo the jig a bit, wasn't much room under the fence...
If you don't think a Stanley 45 can bite...this is from the front of the skates, running into my hand...
Had one more, maybe two tasks to do..for today..
BRB

steven c newman
09-22-2018, 5:15 PM
Got to the point I was tired of walking around in ankle deep junk..
Tracked down that second skinny rail..and finished the two grooves on it, and the tenons. Which left four panels..
Will make these into raised panels...may have to keep an eye on the grain...
Uncle Charles is in the house...working on a glass or two of Gatorade...yeah, been one of those days..
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Hmmm..which to do today....raised a few panels ( each door needs 4 panels)...or...chop 8 mortises.....or....buy more Gatorade?

Left thumb is a bit sore....a bruise the size of a quarter is starting to show...good thing it was just the skates, and NOT the 1/4" cutter.

I suppose I had go and make a jig, to raise the panels. Sellers just sticks a panel upright in his vise.....may try it that way....or just jig the panels flat on the bench. May need to add a rebate around the inside edges of the panels...may help "center" them in the frames.

Film @ 2300 hrs ZULU......

steven c newman
09-23-2018, 9:13 PM
Got ONE stile's mortises done, today...too tired, too sore. Made the haunched tenons,,,
Top and bottom rails get these...middle rails do not need them..
Mortise jig set up..
Chisels laid out..
One mortise done....I worked on both ends first...needed to center the third wide rail between these two.
THEN I could center the two skinny rails.....Doing all this chopping standing up, back was getting mean..
Skinny rails fitted. Set the second style in place, to help with the layouts..Tuesday.

Mondays, the shop is NORMALLY closed....will need the day off to rest. Motivation has left the building..

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-25-2018, 5:14 PM
Well, for once, the shop stayed closed for Monday.....however, this being Tuesday..I guess I had get back to work?
Un-written Law of the Shop: Any flat stretch of space will soon fill up, with just..stuff.
Ok, Got the rest of that frames mortises chopped..
Set aside, for now...made a jig to hold a panel...and grabbed a few planes.
Goal here was to bevel all four edges, doing the end grain first, on each end, then the long grain sides....tends to be quite a work out, too.
Flip the bevel panel over. Wards #78 and the Auburn #181 were used to add a rebate all the way around.. Fine tune the edges with the Stanley #3...and do a dry fit.
One down...three to go?
Repeat for panel #2..
Quitting time, already....maybe get the other two done, tomorrow?
Swept this mess up, and closed the shop....I am soaked clear through. 4 hours was just enough, for one day...

IF I get the other two panels done, I may try a glue up. Then either the other door, or the drawer....
Stay tuned...( welcome to come over and lend a hand, BTW)

steven c newman
09-26-2018, 12:03 PM
Late last night, was told to bring up a load of towels from the drier....about an hour later, I hauled the basket of towels upstairs...there was also another panel done.
But, instead of messing around with the jigs....went back to the way Sellers does his..
By standing them up in the vise ( jointing the edges on Panel #4, here) I even used a #4 like he does..
Actually a #4c...made in England.
Rest of the cast of characters was about the same.
This is what I USED to clean out the chips from the bottoms of mortises...until about 1/8" of the curved end snapped off. may just regrind a new end.

Panel #3 had issues..."good face" had a bit of snipe....board was 4/4, so a bit of plane work brought the thickness done enough that the snipe blended in with the bevel.

The face that was to be the inside of the panel...was bowed a bit...right down the middle...planed that flat. #78 and this plane...
Auburn Tool Co. No. 181, Skewed Rebate plane..to form the rebate all around the edge of the panel. then install it into the frame. Prepped the last panel for this door, and stopped there.
All the parts I need for the other door is sitting in a pile, for now.
Trying to decide whether to build Door #2 next, or..build the drawer...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-26-2018, 6:04 PM
Apparently. this Heart Monitor does not like it when I get all sweaty, from doing a bit of work...keeps sliding off.

Made yet another mess..
Both on the floor, and..
On the bench...it's there, somewhere....just to get one panel done, and do this..
Finally spread some glue around, and clamp a door together....

Taking a break, until I cool down, and dry off....will let this thing set overnight...and see how it came out. Then fit this door in it's opening? Hinges? Knob? Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-26-2018, 11:42 PM
used that "different" tonight, to cut a few parts. Dug out all the Ash 1x 6 stock I have left. Couple chunks will be heading for the fire pit...
Not sure IF there is anything worth saving in this one..
This one is too short for anything in this project, and is basically one lousy knot.
Used the fancy pants plane tonight..
Some ends were close enough to "shoot"....for others..
"Ve haft vays.."
May get to use these things tomorrow...we'll see.
Now have two sides for the drawer build, will use a pine 1 x 6 for the back of the drawer.
There is also enough blanks to build the second door. Total about of Ash bought so far? six 1 x 6 x 12'.....going to be close.

Will try to start cutting through dovetails, tomorrow....have to watch the Heart Monitor, to make sure it stays put ( super glue?) or at least not work so hard that I am soaked from sweat...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-27-2018, 6:56 PM
Going to drop way back here, was getting a bit long-winded anyway. I may yet have a use for those flooring scraps, too..
Ok, today the door came out of the clamps....needed a bit of fitting..
Both edges had a slight bow to them...No. 7c took care of that. One end was a bit out of square...got that trimmed.
Was having issues with the cordless drills' batteries....chucked the VIX bit into a corded drill..needed something to drill hinge screws with..
Works for me. At least to drive the screws in, removing them doesn't go too well. carted the door and some drills to the case..
VIX bit and a pilot hole drill, and the "screwdrivers" Once I got the top screw installed, things just fell into place..
Even installed the knob, so I can open the door to work on it, some more. There WAS a predrilled hole...was too close to the edge...drilled a second hole beside it, more centered, this time.
washer to keep the knob from burying itself into the woodwork. And, to cover the older hole up.
That was the first part of today's follies...stay tuned for the second part..

steven c newman
09-27-2018, 7:16 PM
Ok, the other half of today's work...Drawer making.

Blank for the front of the drawer had a rough edge...was still rough sawn..
Stanley No. 5-1/2 took care of that. There are some who say a 5-1/2 and the #62 are the same size?
hmm, not even close. I also face planed the blank, trying to see which looked the best..
And it was this #3c that seemed to work the best. Flip this side down, jig up for the #45 to get all groovy..
Then set out some toys, and do some layout..
Once the saw was done, chisels to chop away the waste..
Managed to get both ends done. Used these "pins" to lay out the tails..
But, that can wait for the next episode.,,Stay tuned BRB...

steven c newman
09-27-2018, 7:28 PM
Ok, bandsaw to cut on the waste side of the lines, plus a few extra cuts in-between..
More chisel work to remove the waste...cut in half way from one face, flip the board over, and complete the chop...pare as needed..
Meh....work on the other end. Did a dry fit after this first corner was done, to see IF it still fits...
Then haul these two back to the bench, and complete the other side...and try again...fingers crossed.
Will do, for now. Still need to groove the sides for the drawer bottom. And a dado for the drawer back. And cut the back to size for the drawer....maybe add the knob?

Then it is back to door building. Need to make 5 fixed shelves. 4 behind the doors, and one above the fireplace insert ( electric type) and make a boat-load of plugs. Hmmm, there MIGHT just be a use for those two scraps of 1 x 6s....IF I can work around them knots.

Maybe tomorrow, I can get the drawer into some clamps? Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-28-2018, 3:53 PM
Got about an hour in today....dealing with a furnace that won't start up. The hour of actual shop time?
Running a plane around, to get the two drawer sides flat on both faces...and add a hint of round-over along the top edge
Stanley 45 to mill a groove for the drawer bottom to sit in..on both..
Walls for the dados were sawn by..
Then the waste was chopped out..
12mm Mortise chisel and the hammer, to hog things out. Then the Stanley No. 39 3/8" to plane things smooth and level
This $10 chisel came from Okinawa...the No. 39 has a pair of spurs..
But they weren't needed for this sort of work.
This is the insert for this project. Lights up like a real fireplace...but is electric.
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-28-2018, 4:05 PM
Insert will be going in the center of the Project...on the bottom frame. There will then be a fixed shelf above this....spaced to allow air flow to the unit's fan.
And the shorter boards will be that shelf. T & G Flooring scraps. The longer one will go across the front of the shelf, with the shelf boards' joints running front to back.
Box for the heater..
Ordered ONE heater...Home Depot sent two.....despite the fact we only paid for the one heater...figures...
The Prototype. Ours will be a bit taller, and a hair longer. Instead of these fake drawers...
Going with just doors. The "drawers" get combined into one drawer. Their adjustable shelves become fixed ones.

Hopefully, I can get this done, before Beggar's Night gets here...debating a second trip to the shop.....or do a LONG session tomorrow...
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
09-28-2018, 8:37 PM
Ok...was just going to haul two boards to the shop...that WAS the plan....got to messing around with that longer flooring piece....tried to cut it to length....Bandsaw doesn't like it. Hmm, backsaw had the same opinion. Planes tried to shoot the end grain...and SQUEAKED....hmmm
End grain...
Edge grain....and
Face grain....weird stuff....
Anyway, the other board was that Pine 1 x 6 x 6' Was a bit easier to cut what I needed off of it, to make the back for the drawer...Used the Disston D-100 this time...
Drilled a few holes, counter sunk them...spread a batch of glue,,,added screws through the holes to hold the back of the drawer in place...and added a few clamps..
Figured this is as good a place as any, to sit and cure glue. I can pull the drawer almost all the way out...
Even with these clamps on the front, the drawer does not tip down....thanks to the "kicker" in the frame above the drawer.

I think I'll stop for the day....ticker has a case of the "flutters" right now....time to chill out

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Side effects for a new BP med....having issues today....other than removing the clamps from the drawer, and taking a handful of hardware parts to the shop...that will be it, until the "issues" stop. Heart Monitor is getting a workout, this morning..

steven c newman
09-30-2018, 12:32 AM
Watching the football game was causing more issues than working in the shop....decided to take things out on some wood....

Measured where the fixed shelf bottom needed to be (18" up from the bottom frame) and laid the Mystery at that line,,,,hmm, barely any room for a hand....laid out for the pine cleat the shelf boards will sit on....and where the metal "L" brackets will go. Cleat was set to the thickness of the shelf, then the 3/4" cleat, then the metal bracket....anything below that..was ripped off...just over an 1". Had a brand new fine tooth bandsaw blade, installed that....cut like a charm. rather than attempt to joint that sawn edge, figured it will be behind the mounting flange of the heater...out of sight, out of mind...planes are happy

Pre-drilled the mounting holes in the cleat...then used a self drilling screw to finish drilling in to the Mystery Board....attached the cleat..and snapped a head off...redrilled and added another screw...same with the metal brackets....even a bit of candle wax on the threads...didn't help . There was also a rail across the back, for the other ends of the shelf boards to sit on...had some Ash scrap...added the brackets..and snapped a screw off, again...one of those days.
Front of the shelf....boards for the shelf are just sitting loose..waiting to see if they shrink or swell, anymore...may add a screw around back, to keep them in place...
Plywood back stops just short of the shelf..allows cords and cables access. Rest of the way down will stay open, airflow for the heater.
Scrap 1 x 12....will add a filler piece in the back. same with the two fixed shelves that I will add above it. Now, about those clamps on the drawer?
Had a square of Ash break off of the drawer's front ( mis-cut during dovetails)...so, I cut a replacement "block" out of Ash scrap..got as close a fit as I could...glue & clamps.
We getting there..
There won't be a "floor" under the heater...more air flow. get these shelves done, I can start on the last door....Rest of the back goes on, AFTER the "movers" get the aircraft carrier upstairs..know a couple young, strong fellas that can to the moving..instead of just..me.
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-30-2018, 10:16 PM
Top of the case has been sanded, the other end had been cut square, and the curved corner cut..
Round-over bit has been run all the way around the top..

Drawer has been cleaned up...
May add a cockbead around the edges.AFTER this thing gets out of the shop, and into the living room....have to wait and see how much it shrinks. Lower right corner was the spot with a repair...
Shelf boards are left loose, for now...same reason as the drawer..
Will need to tip this thing up and over, to finish sanding over spots.
Until the shelves, and the door get done. About all I could try to do the rest of the evening...involve this little POS :mad:
Was (is?) sold by Veritas as a tapered plug cutter....I bought this one, when they first came out...
More on this, in the next episode...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
09-30-2018, 10:29 PM
Ok..that plug cutter. You drill into face grain with it. It is supposed to cut a tapered plug, that you can then pop out of the stock, and insert narrow end first into a counter-bored screw hole...in theory. This one is the 3/8" size.....not made for use in a hand drill....more at home in a drill press...
Was working GREAT..on Pine. Do you smell something burning?
Ash does have a nasty aroma, when it burns. This was as far as I got...before I quit..even the chuck of the drill press was too hot.
Used a screwdriver to pop each plug out...hold the plug between the thumb and index finger, using those to align the grain with. A dab of glue around the narrow end, drive that into the counter-bore with a hammer and a block of wood, allow to dry..
Going to need to "bake" another batch....ran out..
Wood block, hammer, glue...and the screwdriver to pop each plug out.
Don't have a clue as to HOW to sharpen that cutter....maybe start a thread?

Need to add the rest of the fixed shelves, and the other door. then haul this "Aircraft Carrier" upstairs...maybe a week to go?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
10-01-2018, 5:35 PM
Monday Odds & Ends Day.....didn't like the gap across the top of the drawer....added a thin strip of Ash...
Glue, clamps and a caul. Made a bunch of cleats.....and pieced together a few shelves...
Center and top one have Ash facings. Will sand these flat, next trip to the shop. Boss is complaining about a hinge squealing when she opens the door....hmmm.
There are a couple plugs in this picture. Had to sharpen a wide chisel, then I could pare these flat. Issues with burning the plugs has been fixed..
Running in 1st gear on the drill press....and a cleaning and sharpening to remove a few burrs on the cutter.
Have one door to build....IF I can find my bench..
maybe later, I'll clear the deck, and set up for grooves....looking like end of the week, I can start a finish?

Stay tuned

steven c newman
10-02-2018, 4:17 PM
6 hours IN the shop, today.....other than Gatorade Breaks ( and NO Lunch...:mad: ) Frame for the other door is complete. Waiting to do 4 raised panels, before I glue the door up. Plugs that were already installed, have been trimmed flush. Haven't installed the last 8 plugs, yet. There was an odd looking gap at the top of the door.....fixed that. Bottom hinge was the one making all the squeaks....fixed that.

Some of the rails for the door needed a plane to get them ready for Prime Time.....Ash was skipped planed...had to remove the "skips" and a couple were tapered along their length...got rid of the tapers...and squared the edges.

10 tenons milled, 10 mortises chopped. Stiles and rails have been grooved to receive the raised panels. 4 blanks for the raised panels are sitting on the cleared of bench, awaiting the planes to "raise" them.

Trashcan for the shop, is now as full as I can get it....mainly from this Project. Shop Fan was set of HIGH....and I am still soaked..

Need to process a few photos....maybe later this evening?...

steven c newman
10-02-2018, 9:32 PM
Will just skim through the photos...unless someone wants to see more details.....Might be a bit boring?:rolleyes:
Cleared the bench, cleaned the tool well, again..
See any goodies? 1/4" plywood square now has a notched corner, to fit stiles and rails. Added a 1 x 1 pine backer...and a washer and screw keeper..
Just barely clears the fence on the Stanley 45...
Narrow rails. The wider railes could get by with just a couple c clamps
Stiles and rails have their grooves..set up a tenoning jig to make tenons...once I had them laid out..
Then made Dominoes on the bandsaw..
So far...got the grooves done, planed away the skip-planed marks. narrow rails had a taper removed ( one end wider than the other)) all rails had been cut to final length. Edges jointed.
Cleared the bench a bit, set up a mortise jig, again.....used door #1 to locate where the mortises will go in Door #2. Rounded up a handful of chisels..
And sat down on the shop stool, and started chopping mortises...
BRB with part 2 ( Gatorade Break Time!)
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
10-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Depressing sight, looking out the backdoor of the house..
At the rate I'm moving, those will all be down?....Next trip to the shop....all the plugs that were already installed, a wide chisel to "pop" the waste off. bevel down, and pare flush. Still ahve 8 to install. Boos had issues with the Door#1's sqeaky hinge....re-adjusted it ( loosen the screws, size 11 shoe to "adjust" tighten back up) then decided to "fix" the top of the door....had a gaposis thing going. Tapered strip of Ash, a bead of glue, clamp and a caul...let sit awhile...
Mortises...
Rails at the top and bottom used haunched tenons....the others use regular ones...test fitted as I went..
And tried to mark which part went where...once the first stile was mortised...laid it beside the other stile, and transfer a few marks..
Then chop another 5 mortises.....dry fit....took awhile...one rail was having issues....would not sit square to the others....hammer to adjust parts into alignment..clamps to pull all 5 rails into place..
Let this sit, until needed. Panels need to be cut to size..
Those two weren't square, and a tad too long. then the other two panels needed to be cut out of the Knot Farm of a plank..there is a big knot behind the two panels, a huge one to the right...
And one in the lower corner...once these were cut out...I was left with the four panels to be sized...and then raised....was too tired by then, to start in....went shopping instead. i can raise four panels, tomorrow...and maybe a glue up? picked two 1 x 12 x 48" pine planks at Home Despot tonight...needed to make three fixed shelves. The Boss picked out a quart of Varathane oil Stain..."Weathered Oak"...at least she didn't pick out a can of paint...whew.

Not too bad of a day...a bit longer than usual..10:00 am to 4:00pm. maybe that is why I am so sore, right now?

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
10-03-2018, 8:38 PM
Ok, pictures not showing up...so, I simply took the day off from the shop. Be back when you have this fixed....

steven c newman
10-03-2018, 11:42 PM
Will test a couple pictures...using the same methods I have always used to post a picture on here...
End grain bevels done....
rebuild the jig, to do edge grain bevels..
usual suspects....and made a mess
Will see how this turns out...

steven c newman
10-04-2018, 5:52 PM
Hmmm,......last of the plugs were installed today...
Will trim these flush, tomorrow..
Got all of the long grain bevels done....
And all the rebates done.....then some assembly..
All glued and clamped up...letting this sit, until tomorrow. Need to install hinges, and a knob.

May get the last three fixed shelves done..tomorrow?
Stay tuned

steven c newman
10-05-2018, 7:26 PM
So...the door came out of the clamps today....one edge was straightened..
Top needed squared...
Rest of any high spots were planed or sanded down. Hinges were installed
Took a couple tries to get the knob in the correct spot...then install the door..
Then grabbed a hammer and chisel, and trimmed the 8 plugs flush..moved to case until I could get my fat...body to where I could install the shelves
Then moved the case back around...to do a PIP
Need to get this all sanded down, and ready for a stain....and find some latches for the doors. Going to be fun, hauling this thing upstairs....might need a bit of help...then I can install the plywood backs and the fireplace insert...set the TV on top....and take a break from the shop....
Stay tuned.....unless you want to show up and help out?

Tony Wilkins
10-05-2018, 7:41 PM
It’s looking great.

steven c newman
10-06-2018, 4:24 PM
Ok...sanding is done.....there WAS a gap at one end of the drawer..fixed that. Latches?
Turn buttons....dug out a pilot bit, to install those screws into the Ash. A church key..
To open this...
STINKS! Gave me a headache. Case is sitting back there in the shadows...shine a bright light on it..
Close up?
Gap at the drawer WAS on the left side of the drawer...latches in place..waiting on this smelly stuff ( worse than BLO, even) to dry...and then wipe things down....and maybe see about that Amber Shellac..
May top coat the top with Poly Gloss...
Might protect it better than just shellac...

David Myers
10-06-2018, 5:20 PM
Very nice.

steven c newman
10-07-2018, 6:36 PM
Thanks for looking in. A coat of Amber shellac is now applied to the project,....will check on it later, to see IF another coat is needed..

steven c newman
10-08-2018, 3:21 PM
Got cussed out on another site...seems the troll didn't like my choice of latches...said they were "Cheap" and suck...
Got to thinking, while a coat of shellac dried.....
had a chunk of 1 x 1 Walnut...resawed into half thickness blanks. Bandsaw also roughly shaped these....sander to smooth things out....re-used the screws from the "Cheap" latches.
Screw sits in a counter-sunk hole. There is a small washer behind each latch...
And, it doesn't really matter which way it is turned, it still works.

Have rubbed down the shellac, top got a second coat......maybe tomorrow, I can add the gloss poly?

steven c newman
10-09-2018, 1:44 PM
I may go ahead, and varnish this thing....maybe a two coater? Right now, I am at a stand still....until I get enough helpers to bring this up and out of the shop....

Once that is out of the way...this thing can go to the shop...
Right now, it is sitting under the cover of the Gazebo's top...this is the same saw I started out with, back in the late 70s....will need a new 8" blade...or two. Is new home will be where the trash can usually sits. I had cleared the area in that end of the shop, just for such items...

steven c newman
10-09-2018, 8:50 PM
A coat of clear gloss varnish is now on..
Other than an old, clean T-shirt to rub things out..
Basically shop part of this is done....

IF anyone wants, I could post a few pictures of this when it is installed into the Living Room?

Thanks for following along....

steven c newman
10-14-2018, 4:41 PM
Finally got this thing upstairs, and the insert installed..
Still need to patch the flooring up....there IS a second Shaker Table for the left side....will place it when things are ready..
May post this over in Projects...

steven c newman
10-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Posted over in the Projects section....

Will take about a week or so off....have tools to sharpen up, and put away. Need to see WHAT I can build with some Oak boards I got at a yard sale. Three 1 x 6 x3', a couple 1/2" x 6 x 3', and a 1 x 12 x 3'....might know of a source for other Oak boards.....just in case.

Boss wants a Kitchen Storage cabinet....with lots of drawers.....that she will be painting to match the rest of the kitchen's stuff.....sounds like it will be made of Pine. NO, the Oak will NOT be involved with that.

steven c newman
10-16-2018, 4:36 PM
Final picture...as seen from the sofa..
Forgot the tripod....
The Boss has found a picture of what she wants built next...
Lumber I have on hand says this will be out of White Oak. NOT Painted. And NOT a Flat-pack...we'll see how this goes...

Mike Allen1010
10-18-2018, 4:05 PM
Congrats Steven – you must be very proud seeing the pile of lumber you started with in the beginning and the finished piece now sitting in the living room!. Great job – I'm sure the boss is impressed! Must be if she's already got another project lined up for you.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your build and post the pictures. Posts like yours make me wish there was some kind of Neander Traveling Tour that would let us visit the people and shops we've seen on SMC.

All the best, Mike

glenn bradley
10-18-2018, 4:51 PM
That came out sweet. It makes things feel homey for the holiday season I'll bet.

steven c newman
10-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Visitors are welcome. Just give me a "Heads up" when you want to stop by. You might even get put to work......