PDA

View Full Version : Which Glue?

Terry Kelly
09-03-2018, 9:31 PM
My sons GF is making some signs out of wood look ceramic tiles. Some of the larger ones are gonna be on an easel the smaller ones I’d say they were 10x20 or so she wants to glue eyes on the back and use metal cable to hold the sign on a hook in the wall......

I’m thinking Gorilla Glue would be an excellent choice.....Any one else have other suggestions?

Mel Fulks
09-03-2018, 10:26 PM
My choice would be the PL brand polyurethane adhesive. It's gap filling, tough, and strong . I see Gorilla glue as being more for no gap aplications.

Doug Garson
09-03-2018, 11:02 PM
I would use 5 min epoxy. Note there are about a dozen Gorilla glues, so you need to be more specific. I assume you mean the original Gorilla glue which is a polyurethane glue similar to PL polyurethane construction adhesive. Big advantage to 5 min epoxy is in the name. No need to let it cure overnight.

Mel Fulks
09-04-2018, 12:06 AM
Five minute epoxy might be good for that. I've used it and it worked well, but after a few years it gave up. Some say that is because it keeps getting more brittle with age.

Frank Pratt
09-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Slow cure epoxy is stronger & has better holding power than the 5 minute stuff.

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Slow cure epoxy, like the 90 minute stuff.

Joe Tilson
09-04-2018, 12:01 PM
I have been commissioned to repair some chairs which had been repaired with nails and construction glue. The construction glue had gotten brittle and had broken up into dust, come loose, and really didn't hold all that well. I made repairs using Gorilla wood glue (white). So far it is holding up very well. Nails have no place in a wooden chair, as they can work loose and hurt a person. I only use screws to hold the seat in place. Don't use construction glue on furniture. It will let you down. :D Go epoxy.

Terry Kelly
09-04-2018, 8:50 PM
I like the slow set epoxy idea much better that’s what I shall pass on to her......Thanks for the replies

Art Mann
09-05-2018, 10:00 AM
90 minutes is still a very fast curing epoxy.