PDA

View Full Version : drill chuck thread problem 1/2 x 24 PTI

Perry Hilbert Jr
09-03-2018, 12:39 PM
I have a very old Champion drill press in very good running condition. (No detectable sideways spindle wobble) It came to me with a keyless chuck that was a little rusty inside and sticks terribly. I would like to replace it with a keyed chuck. Apparently Jacobs stopped making chucks in 1/2 x 24 thread. I double checked the threads. definitely 1/2 x 24. Which is a standard UNS thread. I know most are 1/2 x 20, this is not. I dislike keyless chucks but I may be stuck with the one I have. I do have a floor model drill press. The bench top champion is on a rolling stand and is handy to take with me when we do craft demonstrations. ( I take a wood lathe, drill press and belt sander)

glenn bradley
09-03-2018, 1:14 PM
I would clean up that chuck if I were you. Many threads on folks searching for 1/2" x 24 chucks to no avail. The best solution I saw was a guy who had a 1/2" x 24 to Morse taper adapter custom made.

Peter Christensen
09-03-2018, 1:15 PM
I think this is what you are looking for but better verify with them first.

https://maxiparts.com.au/tools-and-equipment/sp-tools/specialty-tools-17/drill-1-2x1-2x24tpi-chuck-inc-key/

Perry Hilbert Jr
09-03-2018, 9:34 PM
Thanks. I saw one on an English supplier site, but shipping is insane. I found one on Australia ebay. about half the price and less shipping.