PDA

View Full Version : Eyed Redwood Vase

John Hart
11-25-2005, 10:13 AM
I gotta tell ya...Anytime I can get my hands on some redwood, I'm gonna do it! Very nice to work with. I got just a tiny bit of tear-out, but that sanded out fairly easy. Hollowing went very well too. I tried following Mark Singer's suggestion on a thinner lip and I'm satisfied with the result there too. Critiques are most welcome...negative and positive (Since they all turn out positive in the end anyway :) ). This piece is 6.25 High and 5.75 in Diameter. Put on some BLO to pop the grain, a little shellac, buff, wax, buff, wax, buff...etc

Travis Stinson
11-25-2005, 10:19 AM
I think I see something back there in the shadows....
Try a lighter background with dark woods so we can see what you've got John.;)

Andy Hoyt
11-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey, Travis. I think he did that on purpose.

Hey, John. You know the rules. Ya gotta include picture.

Mark Singer
11-25-2005, 10:29 AM
John,
It could use a little more contrast. I think it is a beautiful vase...I like the lightness of the edge ....it feels delicate as fine Mata Ortiz pottery...BTW Sam Maloof collects this pottery

http://www.mataortiz.com/images/damianquezadacwht1_small.jpg (http://www.mataortiz.com/images/damianquezadacwht1.jpg)

John Hart
11-25-2005, 10:35 AM
What are y'all saying? The picture's too dark? I mean...if it's too dark...just come out and say it. :D All right....I'll go re-shoot it.....Just in case it might be a bit dark.
Thanks for the pic Mark....You've given me a new form to shoot for!!

tod evans
11-25-2005, 10:39 AM
it`s a bit dark john.

Mark Singer
11-25-2005, 11:13 AM
John,
Dark is the word Iwas looking for....

Jay Fields
11-25-2005, 11:20 AM
photoshop, auto-balance, auto-contrast -jay

John Hart
11-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Ok...after relooking at my pics, I thought that they may be a bit dark.:D I tried a bunch of different backgrounds and I must admit, I'm having some trouble getting anything decent going after moving my booth to a new room. But...here's a little better look. I'll try again tonight when I don't have so many competing light sources....Or I'll cover some windows or something. Thanks!!!

Bob Noles
11-25-2005, 12:33 PM
John,

Nice job on the vase, but you still need some on practice photography:D

Seriously.... that is some nice looking wood for sure...... keep it up and I'm liable to jump off the edge today..... 'bout got my act together :eek:

David Wilson
11-25-2005, 12:38 PM
John
Great job on the vase. I didn't realize redwood could have such amaizing figure.

tod evans
11-25-2005, 12:46 PM
nice job john, much easier to see. tod

John Miliunas
11-25-2005, 12:50 PM
John, really beautiful form and finish on that. Of course, starting out with a gorgeous piece 'o wood helps and you did that one justice!!! :D Nice job.:) But, besides that, did you fire your #1 photographer or what? Personally, I thought he was really good!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Mark Singer
11-25-2005, 1:03 PM
Really nice phography,
but the vase....:p

Just joking I rreally like it...the edge of the lip makes the whole piece delicate ....kind of reminds me of our new turning moderator

John Hart
11-25-2005, 1:07 PM
.....kind of reminds me of our new turning moderator

Yes....he is quite delicate isn't he? :p

Thanks all. I'll keep working on my shutterbuggin'

Bill Stevener
11-25-2005, 1:35 PM
Hi John,
Aside from your photography, the wood, shape, form and finish, only one recommendation -- You had better start considering a show schedule of sorts, and or begin planing on adding a room on the house, as a display studio for the onslaught of future buyers.:D
I can see it well enough, and it looks great.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Michael Stafford
11-25-2005, 5:49 PM
That redwood burl is some kind of good looking. Nicely done and I am glad you decided to photograph it in the light. You don't hide pretty work in the dark!;)

John Miliunas
11-25-2005, 5:59 PM
.....makes the whole piece delicate ....kind of reminds me of our new turning moderator

Don't know 'bout that one, Mark! Been called a LOT of things in my day, but I just don't remember "delicate" being one of them!:eek: :D :cool:

Glenn Hodges
11-25-2005, 6:09 PM
John, from what I can see in the pictures you have done an outstanding job with some beautiful wood. The form looks right, but I can't see the bottom of the piece. Thanks for posting this piece.

Dennis Peacock
11-25-2005, 6:13 PM
Ok...after relooking at my pics, I thought that they may be a bit dark.:D I tried a bunch of different backgrounds and I must admit, I'm having some trouble getting anything decent going after moving my booth to a new room. But...here's a little better look. I'll try again tonight when I don't have so many competing light sources....Or I'll cover some windows or something. Thanks!!!

OK John....looks much better with a lighter background. Excellent on the turning!!!!!!:D

Dennis Peacock
11-25-2005, 6:16 PM
Really nice phography,
but the vase....:p

Just joking I rreally like it...the edge of the lip makes the whole piece delicate ....kind of reminds me of our new turning moderator

Delicate?????????:confused:
John? Delicate???????:eek:
What's this world coming to? First, took the job as a new moderator, now he's "delicate"? Sheesh!!!!! :p :p :rolleyes: :D

Gary DeWitt
11-25-2005, 6:31 PM
Nice vahhs, John. Backgound reminds me of a coat lining from the '60s. Green?!
I'm most curious about the hardness of the wood, as I havn't turned any redwood so far. Did build some patio furniture with it, the wood was so soft it would dent if blown upon lightly! Seems too soft for any kind of durability in a turned object, how is the piece you turned?

Carole Valentine
11-25-2005, 6:34 PM
John, that yellow blanket just doean't get it! :D Try a plain old piece of white poster paper or light gray if you can get it (the dull side). Prop it so the the turning sits on the lower part and the paper curves up behind it. There is no seam and nothing to distract the viewer from the turning itself. When it gets grungy, I just toss it and use another one. You can use the black for light turnings and the white for something like this. Also, we can't see the profile...try putting the piece up higher (or lower the camera) so we can see the entire profile including the bottom and the neck. I like the thinner top and the figure of that wood looks fabulous!

Ernie Nyvall
11-25-2005, 9:24 PM
Great looking piece John. You are really working it all out.

Just in case no one mentioned it, that first set of pics are a little dark.:D

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
11-25-2005, 9:28 PM

How about on a window sill with some snow outside?

Look's great John. Really nice.

Travis Stinson
11-25-2005, 9:38 PM
That's better! Wonderful figure in that Redwood:D . Great job with it.

John Hart
11-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone for all your, ahem,,..entertaining comments!:D No really...thank you. You're all a great group and I depend on you so much.

....You had better start considering a show schedule of sorts, and or begin planing on adding a room on the house, as a display studio for the onslaught of future buyers.....

I still haven't decided if I'm ever going to sell anything! I might just fill the house with wooden things. ;)

...I'm most curious about the hardness of the wood, as I havn't turned any redwood so far. Did build some patio furniture with it, the wood was so soft it would dent if blown upon lightly! Seems too soft for any kind of durability in a turned object, how is the piece you turned?....

It turned very much like a fruitwood and from the sanding and texture, seems to be very durable. I would think that if it fell off a table, it would probably dent though.

John, that yellow blanket just doean't get it!.....

Hey...that's my blankie!!:D No...I agree...it was the pits. I'm going to rework the photo booth tomorrow and get it set up more suitable Large volumes of turnings! :)

Bill Stevener
11-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone for all your, ahem,,..entertaining comments!:D No really...thank you. You're all a great group and I depend on you so much.

I still haven't decided if I'm ever going to sell anything! I might just fill the house with wooden things. ;)

OK and what are you going to do after next week:eek: ?
Bill.....:)