PDA

View Full Version : Easiest workbench for weakling

Tony Wilkins
09-02-2018, 7:13 PM
I have a disability that weakens my strength. That’s part of the reason I haven’t built myself a bench. I’ve collected a few plans, videos on building one over the years (benchcrafted split top Roubo, Moravian workbench, English woodworker).

I’m fed up with my situation now because it takes more energy to kludge workholding. So what is the easiest workbench to build in my situation?

Thomas L Carpenter
09-02-2018, 8:35 PM
As much as these guys will beat me up for saying so, I'd recommend the Harbor Freight work bench. It's basic, cheap, and readily available.

Dennis McCaigue
09-02-2018, 9:01 PM
Home depot, and Rockler handle Sjoberg, and Grizzly has some OK benches. A lighter bench can be weighted with sandbags, or fastened to floor, or wall to stabilize.

George Wall
09-03-2018, 9:24 AM
Mike Siemsen built a Nicholson style workbench; his video, the Naked Woodworker, is available from Lost Art Press, along with plans. About the only difficult part is that at one point you may need to tip the bench over to glue some blocking boards to the underside. You may want to get some help with that, but Mike does show a way to do that using basic saw horses that he also builds. It worked really well for me, and the design is very forgiving. If you want to add a vise (I did), it's fairly easy to do that as well. Just my $0.02.

glenn bradley
09-03-2018, 11:23 AM
I am often faced with situations where buying makes more sense than building even though I may be capable of building. Many of us used (or should have used) help when it came time to flip a heavy top or position it on the base. This may be the case even if you buy. I guess I am just trying to ease your frustration if buying something makes more sense than building.

Grizzly just recently had a beech workbench top on sale. Subscribe to their email list and you get weekly specials. Sam's Club has an adjustable height, metal based work bench (https://www.samsclub.com/sams/workbench-height-adjustable/prod21252021.ip?&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300001201981&pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_1013571808&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=239353824635&wl4=aud-427505133026:pla-519045657072&wl5=9031505&wl6=&wl7=&wl9=pla&wl10=1247713&wl11=online&wl12={productid}&wl13=&wl15=52392538920&wl17=1o2&veh=sem&kclid=8275728e-9756-48d8-a76f-09407604c66e) that would not really suit my needs but, may be a ready made solution that could be made to work. When you are faced with challenges (I have had a lifting restriction since Christmas; really frustrating) you have to think outside the box and accept that your choices are made outside optimal circumstances . . .

OK, I think I am just trying to comfort myself here but, you get the idea. :)

Stew Denton
09-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Tony,

I would go the easy route for the bench top if I were in your situation. For me that would be to buy some premade butcher block counter top to use for the bench top. Ken has built several benches, so I hope he chimes in on what is the easiest type bench to build.

For me, I would add some thicker stock for both the front and back edges for dog holes, would drill them for 3/4" dogs and hold fasts, and use wonder dogs for the tail vise. You may have to trim the width of the butcher block top if you add the thicker edge stock so as not to end up with a bench that is too wide. For me I would go 3" by 3" for the back edge for hold fast holes, and if using the wonder dog for a tail vise would also go that same size for the front side to hold the dog holes.

One easy option to make the front and back edges thick, although the purists might turn up their noses at it, would be to just glue some 3" wide 2 by stock, of the matching hard wood, right on the bottom 3" wide edges of the front and back, but if you do that make sure you match the direction that the growth rings go so you won't have problems with seasonal expansion.

I would put on a good 7" standard woodworking vise on for a face vise, the 7" will weigh less, but you give up a little on holding power and how far it can be opened. Spend some time on Fleabay looking at different versions of that vise, and buy a good used one that is pretty heavy duty. A good one should be $100 or less I think. Look for one made by the good name brand makers. Look for one with quite a bit of cast iron, not folded flat steel, and one with larger diameter rather than smaller diameter rods and main screw.

Ken had stuff on his last Moravian build, he also had a comment on the wonder dogs and other holding options. He also had comments on the leg vise, he was very sold on it, and it had great holding power. You can buy a vintage bench screw on Fleabay for a reasonable price to save some significant dollars if you want to go the leg vise route.

Just my $0.02 worth. I think I would go the Moravian route with those option that I list above if in your situation.

Stew

Doug Hepler
09-03-2018, 11:29 PM
Tony,

My workbench is the most important and most used tool in my shop. I can adapt to almost any off the shelf tool but the workbench has to suit me. I am saying that workbench design questions are similar to sharpening questions. Its a matter of taste involving way too many personal variables. So my advice is (1) build what you really want and can get within a reasonable time and at a reasonable expenditure (2) get help as needed. There may be a teenager next door who would like a few extra bucks. Why suffer any longer?

Having said that, before I made my main workbench I bought the Harbor Freight four drawer hardwood workbench (item #69054) and a portable steel vise from Rockler. I bought them so that I would not have to go through what you are going through now. It was very inexpensive (about $160 online now) and it worked fine for a while. (You may need that teenager next door to help assemble it.) I eventually had to put it on risers (I'm 6'1") and bolt it to the wall for stability. When I had time, I made a workbench to suit me. The top is laminated birch plywood and a solid core flush door. The base has 4 x 4 legs, 2x4 rails and M/T joinery. It has a steel face vise at the front and at the end instead of a built-in end vise. It took a weekend to make. I considered the thousand dollar beechwood beauties but they did not fit my height and reach, and I had many better ways to spend the money. It does everything I need.

I have written some notes on workholding fixtures that I would be happy to share if you like.

Best of luck,

Doug

Dan Hulbert
09-04-2018, 10:10 AM
I'm in the middle of a Moravian build. I got the materials from a neighbor's barn. They were some old boards from a local bridge that he got from another neighbor. I think they are old Doug Fir. The raw boards were severely weathered and were 12-14 inches wide and 3+" thick by 8-10 ' long. Hefting the boards around through the table saw and planner was a real workout. The top is a glue up about 4 1/2 " thick and 78" long by 16" wide. I have not yet tried to move it, but I know I'm going to need some help. I spent most of my free time over this past weekend chopping most of the mortises for the legs and I can really feel it in my arms this morning. This may not be the best option if you have strength issues.

steven c newman
09-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Perhaps something like Paul Sellers builds?

Tony Wilkins
09-04-2018, 11:36 PM
The English/Nicholson style do seem to be on the easier end of things and the top is certainly lighter than a Roubo type.

Luke Dupont
09-05-2018, 3:13 AM
The English/Nicholson style do seem to be on the easier end of things and the top is certainly lighter than a Roubo type.

I was thinking this too. You could actually make such a bench as light as you want. No need for a particularly thick top as the aprons give it structural strength and prevents racking. The design can also be quite simple.

James Pallas
09-05-2018, 5:59 AM
Tony, Having some health issues myself I struggled with this issue. I've built and owned several benches from huge to small. The answer for me came as an Adjust a Bench about three years back. Standard 1 3/4" top. The ability to adjust is great. The weight of moving it up or down can be solved with simple levers. If it had a huge Roubo style top that could be problematic. I like Ken Hatches Moravian bench too. I currently have some 10/4 hard maple waiting in line to build one to replace my garage English style bench. Benches are like shoes to me many styles to choose from and they all work to some extent for someone somewhere. I'm happy with my AAB and the Moravian will be more for fun and to replace the well worn garage one, because I like to be outside, or close to it in good weather.
Good luck on your build.
Jim

ken hatch
09-05-2018, 8:32 AM
Thanks Stew.

I’m in the wilds of Northern California and Oregon for the month and only have the iPad with me so I may not be able to post photos.

if you can make mortises the Moravian workbench can be made very light but solid. It is also an easy build. I’m in the process of building my third one. The first two were portable (the second build is setting in front of the RV as I type). The third build will have a heavy slab and will be better suited as a shop bench but will still be easy to take apart and move if needed.

Maybe photos later if I can figure out how to make the iPad work.

BTW, I moved the damn bench twice from one parking spot to another carrying it by hand each time. Long boring story mostly about the motor home “jacks” sinking into soft ground but whatever while a PITA to do it was doable by myself. You can’t say that about many benches that are functional without needing a lot of monkey motion to make ‘em stable.

A photo of last year’s build in front of the motor home. Now that I’ve figured out how to post photos from the iPad I’ll try to post one of this year’s build tomorrow.

ken

Malcolm Schweizer
09-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Another vote here for the Nicholson bench. Having built a massive Roubo, let me tell you there were times where my young and able self was contemplating whether I should have just built a Nicholson bench.

steven c newman
09-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Hmm....sunny, Sunday afternoon, a few years ago,,,
Dumpster diving, found an old waterbed frame....Use one side for the top...
Cut a pair of notches on each end. Another side from the frame was tipped down to make 4" wide legs...
Plane away the saw marks..
Notched to allow for a stretcher..
Install the legs and stretchers...
Couple of 2xs for the aprons. Ends were cut to fit the 1/2 lap. ( already using the bench, too) One apron ( front) is attached to the front of the bench, the other is part of a tool well
Added the "foot pads" to a scrap of 1 x6....attached this to the bottom of the feet.
Plane the top flat, aprons and all. Grandson and I then slid this down the steps into the shop..on it's top. Flipped over..
Have since added a leg vise, and end vise, a Crochet. There is a line or two of dog holes. Have built an under bench storage chest with a shelf...( adds a bit of weight to the bottom of the bench)

Bench is still in use.....
Hmm, part 2?

Tony Wilkins
09-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the information and help. I’m weighing (no pun intended) the pros and cons of the Moravian vs one of the Nicholson designs.

steven c newman
09-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Ok..side view..
And the rarely seen cleaned off top...
Been well used...

Matt Lau
09-05-2018, 2:01 PM
Do you have nearby Neanderbuddies to help?
I find most Neanderpeople to be super friendly and helpful.

Personally, I really like my Blum workbench.
While I've been lusting for a Roubo, that might never happen.
The blum is stiff, doesn't rack, and has lots of workholding options.

Luke Dupont
09-05-2018, 8:21 PM
Do you have nearby Neanderbuddies to help?
I find most Neanderpeople to be super friendly and helpful.

Personally, I really like my Blum workbench.
While I've been lusting for a Roubo, that might never happen.
The blum is stiff, doesn't rack, and has lots of workholding options.

I'm really curious how many people know fellow Neanders living nearby!

In my case, in southern Louisiana / Mississippi / Alabama, such people simply didn't exist -- or at least I never met them. Woodworkers of any type were rare, and the times I did meet one, they were invariably surprised and confused as to why I would use hand tools and marveled at how long it must take to do anything.

Though, I'm sure if I got to know a few of them, they'd be just as capable of helping assemble a bench as any fellow Neander would be ;)

Tony Wilkins
09-05-2018, 8:55 PM
I’ve been hanging around these forums for a few years now and haven’t heard of anybody here. I’m in Lubbock btw - the Texas South Plains.

Jim Koepke
09-05-2018, 9:04 PM
I'm really curious how many people know fellow Neanders living nearby!

A few have visited my shop and one met me at a Lie-Nielsen Tool Event. One lives across the river and has been visited by my wife and me. He has also visited my shop.

A few others have met up at times according to posts here over the years.

Johnny Kleso, of www.rexmill.com used to have regular get togethers. Haven't seen many posts from him of late.

jtk

Brian Holcombe
09-05-2018, 9:09 PM
Tony, might be worth it to build a multi-plank top and make it in a way that the planks interlock to form a solid top. That would seemingly create a minimal compromise.

I weighed 130lbs when I worked in an automotive machine shop, there are many ways to avoid lifting heavy things and yet still have a heavy finished product. Individual strength almost didn’t matter with some builds, some engines are heavy enough that an individual just cannot realistically manage any of the castings, such as 12 cylinder Diesel engines. So we used hoists with straps, chain hoists, hydraulic lifts, levers, Johnson bars and so forth to disassemble and move the engines.

In my shop I do the same, preferring to use leverage or friends rather than lug around heavy things. Most of my client work is assembled in place if it’s heavy.

David Myers
09-06-2018, 8:44 PM
I’ve been hanging around these forums for a few years now and haven’t heard of anybody here. I’m in Lubbock btw - the Texas South Plains.

Well heck, Stew Denton is just around the corner from you in Boerger.

Julie Moriarty
09-06-2018, 9:25 PM
I have a disability that weakens my strength. That’s part of the reason I haven’t built myself a bench. I’ve collected a few plans, videos on building one over the years (benchcrafted split top Roubo, Moravian workbench, English woodworker).

I’m fed up with my situation now because it takes more energy to kludge workholding. So what is the easiest workbench to build in my situation?

Tony, I have to ask you why you want to build a bench, considering your physical limitations? A good bench would have a sturdy and rock solid top, That means heavy. The legs should also be sturdy and that adds more weight.

When I was considering a workbench, I first looked at building but when I priced out the wood, I was shocked how much it would cost. I found the Hoffman Hammer All-Round on sale at Highland Woodworking and compared it to the cost of just the materials. It was about the same. Buying the workbench meant no clamping and truing up the top, something I was not geared up to do. I use that workbench every day and never regretted the purchase.

Just my two cents...

Tony Wilkins
09-06-2018, 9:49 PM
Just 2.5 hours away. Guess that’s mighty close by Texas standards;)

Tony Wilkins
09-06-2018, 9:56 PM
Only problem is that there isn’t a woodcraft or similar and I think (perhaps wrongly) that the shipping would be prohibitive. Plus I haven’t heard great things about “commercial benches” across the fora over the years.

Julie Moriarty
09-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Only problem is that there isn’t a woodcraft or similar and I think (perhaps wrongly) that the shipping would be prohibitive. Plus I haven’t heard great things about “commercial benches” across the fora over the years.
It's been a few years since I bought my bench but I don't remember being hit with shipping costs. As for commercial benches, the only thing mine didn't have was drawers. But with a good bench, that can be fixed.
http://julimorcreations.com/Images/Workshop/workbench.jpg

Tony Wilkins
09-06-2018, 10:46 PM
Julie, looked up those and they are still available but the cost is $1,400 and shipping is on top of that. That’s about double what even maple would be for a Roubo from what I found last time I looked. Does look like a very workable bench though.

Stew Denton
09-07-2018, 1:45 AM
Tony at the speed my wife and I drive you better call it 3 hours. We used to visit Lubbock fairy often...grandkids....one of our two engineer son in laws was chosen as one of the three outstanding professors at Tech 3 or 4 years ago or so, but alas, they are all now at College Station....a lot farther away from us.

Stew

Tony Wilkins
09-07-2018, 9:34 AM
If you are ever here would love to meet you. Maybe take you out to lunch. Figure you go to Amarillo more to “go into town”.

ken hatch
09-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Julie, looked up those and they are still available but the cost is $1,400 and shipping is on top of that. That’s about double what even maple would be for a Roubo from what I found last time I looked. Does look like a very workable bench though.

Tony,

If you can find a solid commercial bench for $1500 USD do it. Depending on Wood most of my bench builds have cost over $1000USD. I wouldn’t think of sellling one for less than $3000USD. BTW most companies have very good shipping rates, cost of shipping shouldn’f Be a big problem.

ken

Graham Haydon
09-07-2018, 2:42 PM
Julie, great bench for the price. Tony, Ken beat me to it, but $1400.00 is great value.

Dan Lambert
09-08-2018, 8:16 PM
I'm in north Georgia, and I have about a half dozen folks within 30 minutes of me that are hand tool (Neanders) guys. There are probably another half dozen or more with an hour of me.

Tom Bender
09-14-2018, 9:03 AM
Hi Tony
To me $1500 sounds like a lot of money. And it seems that you want to build your own. Let's see what we can come up with that you can handle and still meet your needs.

1. Does it need to be movable?

2. How much should it weigh? I have one at about 150 pounds and one at 400 pounds. The heavy one is better but not a lot better.

3. What vises do you need? Mine have full width twin screw types across one end that is adequate for almost anything and I have a clamp on machinist's vise for metalwork. This can save cost and work better than traditional woodworking vises.

4. A very capable top can be made with heavy edges and a thinner center.

5. Careful planning can get you thru most of the build of relatively light pieces and a single flip over event. (friends and pizza)

Matt Lau
09-28-2018, 6:03 PM
I'm curious about what happened to OP.

Everything okay? Did you ever get that bench taken care of?
How heavy can you lift? What are you using the bench for?

Also, after reading this thread...I'll probably either stick a door on a base, or buy a fancy workbench in the future a la Julie.
sadly, no time for a Roubo build.

Tony Wilkins
09-28-2018, 6:22 PM
Still here, still haven’t decided totally though I’m leaning towards a Nicholson design. I’ve got an 8/4 cherry plank that is 7”x5’ish that I’m think about staking on some legs to make a Roman bench.

Derek Cohen
09-28-2018, 10:45 PM

Tony, what are you using presently as a bench?

This is an important question since I (and many others here) are aware of your physical limitations and that your energy comes-and-goes. The question is "what is reasonable?" must be factored in ... especially as it is apparent that much of the advice given in the past, to questions on your part that are asked with the best of intention, are not carried through. You get a great deal of input here (and on other forums) from willing members (including myself) but, having started out with enthusiasm, your strength drops away, and everything grinds to a halt.

If I were in your situation, I would be focussing on priorities ... get a useable bench! Right now you are both building (or planning to build) a bench and building a toolbox. My estimate is that neither will be completed. You are over-extending yourself. My advice (hopefully you take this on board) is the same as others here - forget about building a bench from scratch. Either put one together from parts, or buy a completed one. Look at the used market as well. Get on with building pieces on it, rather than dealing with the current frustrations.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Wilkins
09-28-2018, 11:11 PM
Tony, what are you using presently as a bench?

This is an important question since I (and many others here) are aware of your physical limitations and that your energy comes-and-goes. The question is "what is reasonable?" must be factored in ... especially as it is apparent that much of the advice given in the past, to questions on your part that are asked with the best of intention, are not carried through. You get a great deal of input here (and on other forums) from willing members (including myself) but, having started out with enthusiasm, your strength drops away, and everything grinds to a halt.

If I were in your situation, I would be focussing on priorities ... get a useable bench! Right now you are both building (or planning to build) a bench and building a toolbox. My estimate is that neither will be completed. You are over-extending yourself. My advice (hopefully you take this on board) is the same as others here - forget about building a bench from scratch. Either put one together from parts, or buy a completed one. Look at the used market as well. Get on with building pieces on it, rather than dealing with the current frustrations.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Right now I’m using a gladiator garage works commercial bench meant mostly for car and general work. The top is thick enough but it has a slick finish. I have drilled a few holes for dogs but hate to drill to many because I want to be able to use it for general garage stuff and car work. It also has a metal base but not heavy enough to keep from moving with planing and sawing. I built a moxon vise to help and it works well for usual moxon vise things like joinery. However, it puts things way high for anything else and it’s heavy to remove being made out of 8/4 walnut.

I know what you mean about waxing and waning ability and I know I’ve asked this question repeatedly over the years. I just haven’t been able to get over the hump to build one and can’t bring myself to spend multiple thousands on a good one from plate 11 or Benchcrafted.

Another thing that slips into the back of my mind is that I can extend my use of it if I can find a way to use it seated, which is my reservation of the Nicholson style which would be the easiest for me to build.

Derek Cohen
09-28-2018, 11:25 PM
Tony, my previous bench (replaced by my current Roubo several years ago now) was light and quite unsuitable for planing. I used it for 20 years, however, and it did most if not all I needed. I replaced it as it was just worn out. The reason it worked was that I bolted it very securely to the wall behind it. As a result, it did not rack no matter how hard I pushed on it. That is one solution for you.

Another for your bench is to strip the top of its slick finish. Slick and work holding do not go together.

Lastly, decide what you want the bench to do, that is, where its priority lies. If you want a mainly woodworking bench, and an occasional general purpose bench, then (if this was mine) I would drill out for dog holes, etc, and keep a MDF or masonite top that could be laid over it for the few occasions you want to do something else.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Corey
09-29-2018, 9:55 AM
Tony,

The Roman Bench style may be a good solution for you. Check out Christopher Schwarz's blog at lostartpress.com. He has researched early benches and work holding extensively and published "Ingenious Mechanicks" from that research. There are lots of posts and pictures on his blog.

The benches are low to floor and enable the woodworker to use simple work holding techniques, including the woodworker's own weight. He was on the Woodwright's Shop with Roy Underhill (season 36 Episode 10) showing a Roman bench and some of the work holding techniques. You should be able to find and watch the episode from the Woodwright's Shop website.

I hope this helps.

TonyC

Matt Lau
09-29-2018, 10:46 AM
If you find your energy completely on the wane (as I find myself some days), you may also really want to look at the Blum Bench Horse.

If you look at the Underhill folding workbench--it's pretty much exactly the same thing, but with steel legs and no crochet.
While I prefer a hand made, solid wood bench, This works great.

Tony Wilkins
09-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have CS’ book and that’s what’s making me think low bench.

Also been thinking of my current gladiator workbench. I have slowly gotten where I can so all the face operations on the top. What has me totally stumped is edge planing. I haven’t figured out how to replace the functionality of a leg vise or front apron. Any ideas?

steven c newman
09-29-2018, 11:47 AM
Use a pair of F style clamps, that can reach all the way across the bench top. Clamp the board to the side of the bench with them...lay the clamps as flat as you can, so the plane will miss them..

I use one such clamp, and my leg vise. There is a use for the tool well....nice place to set the end of the clamp...
Something like this...

Tony Wilkins
09-29-2018, 11:49 AM
Use a pair of F style clamps, that can reach all the way across the bench top. Clamp the board to the side of the bench with them...lay the clamps as flat as you can, so the plane will miss them..

I use one such clamp, and my leg vise. There is a use for the tool well....nice place to set the end of the clamp...
Something like this...

Thanks, I’ll have to try that!

Tony Corey
09-29-2018, 1:17 PM
Tony,

If you can find the time, take a look at the Woodwright Shop I mentioned above. CS demonstrates all manor of work holding for planing (surface and edge) and sawing. The bench has holes for different length pegs that he uses to hold a board on edge for planing.

TonyC

Steve Kaminska
09-30-2018, 2:50 AM
I skipped most of the replies, but I just want to add... A bench is a tool, like a chisel or a saw, they are supposed to make our work easier. Find a bench that works for you, or modify a design until it works for you. Texans are a friendly lot, see if you can "test drive" a few different bench designs from local woodworkers, find the bench that works best for you, and go from there.

Matt Lau
10-03-2018, 12:55 AM
Hey Tony,

No problem with the Blum bench on doing edge planing--it's like a nicholson with pipe clamps.
Also, very stiff with minimal racking.