PDA

View Full Version : Handedness of moving filister vs #140

Tony Wilkins
09-02-2018, 3:06 PM
Was watching a video (Becksvoort shaker lap desk) and he used a #140skew block. Something went off in my head, it seemed to be the opposite of my LV moving filister plane. He was using his right hand.

Here’s my question, silly as though it may be: do the right hand versions of the moving filister and #140 skew block go in opposite directions as you address the board?

Bill Houghton
09-02-2018, 4:55 PM
The rabbet edge of the Stanley No. 140 is on the right side, and the blade is oriented, as it should be, so that the skew of the blade is toward the open side - that is, the pointy side of the skew is to the right. Lie-Nielsen sells both right- and left-handed versions of this tool.

I'm not sure what you mean by "LV moving fillister." If you mean the ECE wooden moving fillister they sell, that rabbets to the right as well, I believe; and the Veritas skewed rabbet plane comes in right- and left-handed flavors, so it would depend on which one you've got.

A lot of people use block planes as pull planes, at least sometimes. The No. 140 seems to want to be in the left hand in normal push mode; but if you're using it in pull mode, it would logically go in the right hand.

Tony Wilkins
09-02-2018, 6:44 PM
Referring to right hand versions of both. LV is the skew rabbet plane.

John Schtrumpf
09-03-2018, 3:15 AM
Referring to right hand versions of both. LV is the skew rabbet plane.
For the Lee Valley/Veritas versions of the skew rabbet plane and skew block planes. Go to the Lee Valley web site and look at the pages for each plane, one of the pictures for each plane shows both planes and labels them "A" and "B", which you can match with "Right" and "Left" at the bottom when ordering.

As to which version one uses, it depends on how you use the plane. Typically a right handed person would use the Right Skew Rabbet plane with two hands planing right to left. The Skew Block Plane is where it gets tricky. I am right handed, but I usually use the Left Skew Block plane, one handed (my right) pushing away from me. So, like I said, which version one uses, depends on how you use the plane.

Edit: Lie-Nielsen also makes a Left and Right version of the Skew Block Plane.