PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut Bowls

Dick Parr
11-25-2005, 2:45 AM
Here is a set of walnut bowls I turned from a blank that Mark Cothren sent me a couple months ago. The blank started out at 15-3/4" x 6-1/2" so I got to use my (new to me) coring system and was able to get 3 bowls out of it.

There was a lot of ring shank in the blank but with a little CA glue I was able to keep them together for the most part. They finished up at 12" , 9", and 6". A friend suggested I make a ladle for the set and so this is my first attempt at a one. Even with cracks the black walnut is pretty.

Thanks for looking.

Chris Barton
11-25-2005, 7:08 AM
Hi Dick,

Great looking bowls! It looks like you have the hang of the coring system too! You got the McNaughton right? I need to get one so you feedback would be appreciated.

John Miliunas
11-25-2005, 7:43 AM
Coolness, Dick! Great looking bowls and that ladle is neat, as well!:) Your Walnut pieces finish up real nice. I have a heckuva' time getting tool marks out of mine. I realize it's user error, but I just can't seem to get it quite right!:rolleyes: :) :cool:

John Hart
11-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Beautifully Done!!! I love the grain pattern you've struck. Cool little spoon too!!:)

Joe Tonich
11-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Hey guy........

Them look pretty sweet! Glad your getting a lot of practice with the corer, you can teach me how to use one next time we come down....;) :D

That ladle looks good! I like it! :D

Joe

Michael Stafford
11-25-2005, 5:46 PM
Great looking nested set and a fine save, Dick! I sometimes think we learn more from saving the difficult pieces than turning the easy ones. Just look at at how you decided that a ladle would complete the set. What a creative addition to some pretty wood with a story. Now how does Jack taste when sipped from a walnut ladle......!:p ;)

Gary DeWitt
11-25-2005, 5:54 PM
Very nice, Dick. I especially like the rim cutouts for the ladel.
Did you consider a one-piece ladle? You're limited by your swing, of course, and you need to make a jam chuck or use vacuum. I've made a couple of very small spoons to go in salt bowls, maybe 2" long, they were suprisingly easy.
Anyway, nice work.

Carole Valentine
11-25-2005, 7:19 PM
Dang it, Dick! Now you got me lusting after one of those dadburned coring systems!:D I'm gonna have to have a yard sale.
Those bowls look really nice...the figure is wonderful and I love the scoop.

Ernie Nyvall
11-25-2005, 7:33 PM
Darn fine job there Dick. As Carole mentioned, it does make one want for a corer.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
11-25-2005, 9:22 PM
A beautiful nested set! and Great Save also, Nice work Dick

Andy Hoyt
11-25-2005, 9:31 PM
Nice Dick. Artistic stylish and all that stuff.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-26-2005, 1:21 AM
Very nice, Dick.

Bruce

Rich Stewart
11-26-2005, 3:20 AM
A corer? Jeez. How much do they cost? Wife gonna hurt me. But it does really make sense, rather than make sawdust out of the middle. Three bowls instead of one from the same piece of wood? Hmmmm. Sounds like I might be able to appeal to her sense of thriftiness. If she fell for some of my other doozys, this one should be easy. Great looking bowls and ladle Dick.

Mark Cothren
11-27-2005, 3:20 PM
Hey Dick, what a nice set of bowls! You sure make that ol' stinky BW look a lot better than I ever did! Sorry 'bout the ring shake...:( I tried to send ya a good chunk. Glad you were able to save these bowls! And the ladle looks great and really sets off the set!

Dick Parr
11-28-2005, 9:19 AM
Thanks everyone and Mark, don't worry about it. You can't tell it is there until you start turning it.;) And since this was sent from a friend I wanted to do everything I could to save it.:)

Thanks again