PDA

View Full Version : How To Clean Router Bits?

Derek Arita
08-31-2018, 7:13 PM
Just tried out my new Leigh bits and boy, what a difference from my older, but not old, dirty bits. I want to keep these clean and also, clean up the old ones, so what can I use? Will something as simple as denatured alcohol work? Mineral oil? Lacquer thinner?

Steve Jenkins
08-31-2018, 7:25 PM
Use the same thing you use on saw blades.

Doug Hepler
08-31-2018, 7:31 PM
Derek

I use Boeshield Blade and Bit Cleaner. I think it is just a solution of a detergent in water, but small bottle is not that expensive.

Doug

glenn bradley
08-31-2018, 7:31 PM
A couple of squirts of L.A. Awesome. Remove bearings prior to cleaning and oil them once they are back on. It is often easier to simply brush the bits clean and oil them immediately after use. I have a nylon brush and bearing oil in a rack on the front of my router table for just this purpose. I go quite a while before I have to use a cleaning solution.

Osvaldo Cristo
08-31-2018, 7:35 PM
Just tried out my new Leigh bits and boy, what a difference from my older, but not old, dirty bits. I want to keep these clean and also, clean up the old ones, so what can I use? Will something as simple as denatured alcohol work? Mineral oil? Lacquer thinner?

My default cleaner after to use a router bit is a simple dry nylon brush. It is good enough most time.

Eventually I can go for a deeper cleaning and as stated previously you can use the same process you use to clean up your saw blades.

All the best,

Derek Arita
08-31-2018, 8:31 PM
Sorry...L.A.?

Cary Falk
08-31-2018, 8:39 PM
I use CMT's blade cleaner.

Lee Schierer
08-31-2018, 8:47 PM
Just be sure to remove any guide bearings before cleaning with any solvent.

Doug Garson
08-31-2018, 8:51 PM
Simple Green, diluted 50/50 with water and an old toothbrush, use it for blades also.

Bruce Wrenn
08-31-2018, 9:26 PM
HF ultra sonic cleaner is what one friend uses. It's made for cleaning jewelry, but does a great job on bits. Sharpening places use similar, only industrial sized to clean both blades and bits. Put them in, turn it on and go away. Come back when timer says it's done. Original Simple Green ISN"T recommended for use on carbide. It destroys the binder.

Doug Garson
08-31-2018, 9:38 PM
Correction, I should have said Simple Green Pro HD although I have used regular Simple Green for years with no ill effects. I typically soak for 1/2 hr or less. There was a thread about this on Sawmill Creek about 8 years ago. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149002-Response-from-Simple-Green-about-Cleaning-Saw-Blades

Derek Cohen
09-01-2018, 9:08 AM
Another Simple Green user. Soak for about 20-30 minutes, and wipe off with a plastic scouring pad. Rinse. Dry.

Regards from Perth

Derek