PDA

View Full Version : LV Bevel Up Jointer Plane/Veritas Jointer Fence - Reviewed

Derek Cohen
11-25-2005, 1:26 AM
The following Link will take you to WKFineTools.com site and the above reviews.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contributors/2dCohen/LVBevelUpJointer/index.asp

In the Jointer review, the LV BU Jointer was compared with a Type 11 Stanley #7, while in the Jointer Fence review, a comparison was made with the Stanley #386.

Owing to a lack of self control – but mainly the inclusion of many pictures – the article is extra long and so has been divided into two pages. It takes about a minute to load on my dial-up connection.

As always, please offer your comments since one of the aims is to generate discussion about tools and techniques.

Please not that a couple of pics are not downloading for a very small minority of viewers. This is being looked into.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dan Forman
11-25-2005, 4:29 AM
Derek---I enjoy seeing your reviews, however have not been able to wait for them to show up before buying these low angle planes (have all of the planes pictured in the family portrait). Now if only LV could figure out a way to make a nice affordable infill smoother...

Dan

Alan Turner
11-25-2005, 4:31 AM
As always, Derek, a wonderful review, and that table is not too shabby either. I have a 607, but at the rate that I use it, the iron should last about 1000 years. My primary usages of planes is for fitting and smoothing, and I am still toying with how to, in my mind, justify a BUS.

Jim Dunn
11-25-2005, 9:13 AM
I don't lurk on the DarkSide very often, must be afraid of a whole new tool buying need, but I am darned impressed by the level of the experience and technical abilities. Having looked at Derek's review I'm thinking "WOW". What abilities and talent. Course that's why I come to the Creek.:)

Gary Herrmann
11-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Derek, I enjoyed the article and learned something very useful. Next table, I'll match plane the boards. I had a difficult time getting the edges flat on my occasional table when I jointed the boards individually just recently - my own little test of my new BUJ. Live and learn.

I also expect I need a lot more practice to improve my hand plane skills.