PDA

View Full Version : My shop shots prompted by Ken Shoemaker

Bart Leetch
11-24-2005, 9:54 PM
1. is a shot from the door way.

2. is a shot from the other end of the room toward the door.

3. is a shot down the other side of the room.

4. is a shot showing my turning corner with my lathes & sharpening station.

5. is a shot for the door end of the shop showing the other side of the shop.

Bart Leetch
11-24-2005, 10:02 PM
This bench was built to hold my CMS & Mortiser on top & my planer & Spindle sander underneath.
The spindle sander is raised to working height by having a wheel barrow inner tube on its side underneath a false bottomed box when the inner tube is inflated it raises the Spindle sander. My mechanic tools are in the drawers in the middle of the cabinet which is a little over 7' long.

Frank Pellow
11-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Bart, I have said it before and I will say it again: I am amazed at what you manage to fit into your shop! Well done!

Whenever I think I am crowded in my shop, I think of you in your shop :)

Bruce Page
11-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Great shop Bart, it looks like you have everything a woodworker would need in there. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Do you lock the door when you use the bandsaw?

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Nice shop Bart. My granddad told me one time, functional is all that is necessary. It sure does look functional.

John Miliunas
11-24-2005, 10:32 PM
Dang it, Bart! You've got a LOT of equipment in that shop space!!! :) How big of an area is it? Regardless, loads of neat organizational initiatives going on in there! Well done, my friend!:) :cool:

Bart Leetch
11-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Great shop Bart, it looks like you have everything a woodworker would need in there. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Do you lock the door when you use the bandsaw?

Bruce: The only one that would come through that bathroom door would be the LOML & she knows that you don't come through either the outside door or the bathroom door when a machine is running & my wood working buddy always calls on the phone before he drops by. One time the LOML came in & about 1/2 the way across the shop when I had my back turned working at the drill-press I just happened ot glance around & was startled & said don't ever do that to me a little louder than I meant to. I apologized later. The LOML doesn't come through a closed door just cracks it to peek in to see if its safe to enter with an open door she just stands in the opening.

Ken Shoemaker
11-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Wow!! Bart, now that gettin' 100lbs. in a 10lbs. sack. I've been studying your pics so I can get more in my shop.

I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks for showing it to us.

Bart Leetch
11-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Dang it, Bart! You've got a LOT of equipment in that shop space!!! :) How big of an area is it? Regardless, loads of neat organizational initiatives going on in there! Well done, my friend!:) :cool:

John: The room is 13'5" x 24'5" with a 7' 10" ceiling.

I don't know if you noticed but along the wall above the panel-saw I have 16' of 24" deep shelves approximatly 12" below the ceiling its a great way to use otherwise lost storage space. I hope to have a shop with a 10' ceiling some day & will use this idea to create lots of storage. The shelves are strong enough I can hange my 190 lbs off it anywhere along its length.

I thought I was crowded then I won the drawing for the jet mini lathe at the last BBQ & turning get together in Bellingham:eek: . I wasn't about to get rid of my Delta Double Duty lathe manufactured in the 1930's & the Jet is such great fun to use too. Plus when I go to the next BBQ I can take my own lathe along. I just said oh my oh well I'll figure out where to put the new lathe.:D :D :D

Scott Donley
11-24-2005, 10:53 PM
WOW! I saw your first post and thought how did he do That? Then you posted more! You have given me some ideas, and I thought I was out of room. Thanks:)

Bart Leetch
11-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Wow!! Bart, now that gettin' 100lbs. in a 10lbs. sack. I've been studying your pics so I can get more in my shop.

I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks for showing it to us.

Ken go get this free download shop designer

http://www.inthewoodshop.org/software/software.shtml

It will help you a whole lot. You can size the tools to match your own & use the bench tool for any tool that is isn't on the tool list just size it for the length & width of the tool you want to indicate.

Here is a look at my shop.

Brian Hale
11-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Bart, i like how you've organized those storage bins! since mine don't have a real home, they tend to hang out on any available horizontal surface and are always in the way. I may have to copy that idea if you don't mind.

Great looking shop!

Brian :)

Bruce Page
11-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Bruce: The only one that would come through that bathroom door would be the LOML

You have a bathroom in your shop! Isn't that against the rules? :eek:

Andy Hoyt
11-24-2005, 11:35 PM
You have a bathroom in your shop! Isn't that against the rules? :eek:

Apparently he does. But where is the fire hydrant?

Bart Leetch
11-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Apparently he does. But where is the fire hydrant?

The hydrant is right out on the street & the fire dept. is a block away.

I have to say that the shop building isn't my own the shop is in an old storage room here at 1 of the apartment complexes that the LOML & I manage.:)

Bart Leetch
11-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Bart, i like how you've organized those storage bins! since mine don't have a real home, they tend to hang out on any available horizontal surface and are always in the way. I may have to copy that idea if you don't mind.

Great looking shop!

Brian :)

Brian I have found that in a small shop cabinet doors on big cabinets such as this one are more trouble than they are worth. As you probably know something like a piece of sheet goods will get set in front of the cabinet & then you either have to move the sheet goods or lean it away from the cabinet & then open the door to get at what you need. So I just didn't put doors on the cabinet.

Mark Singer
11-25-2005, 1:03 AM
Bart,
I like your shop...it feels like home...stuff gets made there...you can lose pizza there and every thing is near by.....I hate shops with miles of space and no sawdust...those are the guys that know everything about their tools and very little about woodworking,pizza or BBQing turkeys. So there.:cool:

Bart Leetch
11-25-2005, 1:48 AM
Thanks Mark

I would like it to be a little bigger just so I have a little more assembly room. With what I've learned I think I could do wonders in a 20'x24' or a 20'x30' or a 24'x30' with 10' ceilings.

Vaughn McMillan
11-25-2005, 2:50 AM
Bart, Ken beat me to the 10 pounds of stuff in a 5-pound box line, but I'm impressed by how organized everything is. You've got a great setup, and everything looks accessible and easy to find. Like Mark said, it looks like stuff gets made there. Thanks for the pics.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
11-25-2005, 5:10 AM
Bart---Great shop, and excellent use of space, amazing really.

Dan

Alan Turner
11-25-2005, 6:31 AM
Nice use of space. And, for once, a shop which in fact looks well used. Mine qualifies for that as well. (:

Bob Noles
11-25-2005, 7:37 AM
Bart,

That is a sight to behold :) I believe that is about the most efficient use of shop space I have seen yet. My shop is much smaller than yours and I plan on studying your pictures in hopes to "borrow" some of your ideas to improve the utilization of space in mine. I plan on adding a lathe as soon as I can find/make a footprint for it.

Thanks for sharing.

John Renzetti
11-25-2005, 7:54 AM
Hi Bart, I just know that if you tried real hard you could fit another machine in that shop. :)
Great pictures, thanks for posting.
take care,
John

tod evans
11-25-2005, 10:09 AM
bart, nice shop man! tod

James Ayars
11-25-2005, 1:50 PM
Bart,
Your shop looks "busy" which is a compliment. Looks like a working shop not a stand around watch tv and talk about working shop.

I like the signs posted on the bandsaws...great idea! I keep safety glasses on the cutting surface of all my power tools. I can't cut any stock without picking up the safety glasses. That keeps me from doing the "It's only on cut, I don't need glases." mistake.
James

Bart Leetch
11-25-2005, 2:25 PM
I was thinking maybe those of you with small shops may want to see a better picture of my storage options.

1. is a better shot of my main storage shelves.

2 & 3. are shots of my overhead shelving.

4. is a shot showing how my lathe bench was constructed & the fact that this ain't no premadona shop.

Yes I do have to move things around a bit sometimes to get to what I want to do.

Corey Hallagan
11-25-2005, 5:37 PM
Very nice Bart, thanks for the pics. Very well organized shop and some real nice equipment. Congrats!

Corey