PDA

View Full Version : My 14" Jet bandsaw motor was flooded by Hurricane Harvey

lowell holmes
08-30-2018, 1:17 PM
I am putting my shop back in service after Hurricane Harvey. I was cleaning my 14" Jet Bandsaw
when I discovered that the motor is locked up. Do any of you have experience in purchasing new
bandsaw motors? I'm thinking that I might just go to a motor supplier and buy a replacement motor.
I have done that before. Where should I look for a replacement motor?

Bill Dufour
08-30-2018, 1:27 PM
I would replace the bearings and clean the starting switch. Wash it out with clean water. Actually the bearing theoretically should be fine if they are sealed. Do not use a pressure washer just soap and rags to move the dirt
Did the switch gear go under as well? How about your outlets?
Bill D

Bill Dufour
08-30-2018, 1:44 PM
I prefer tefc motors in a dusty wood shop. You need a metric shaft motor I assume. For my Jet Mill/drill I used an English dimension shaft motor and reamed the pulley to fit. No keyway was used. It may be easier and cheaper to get a used motor and buy a pulley to fit.
Consider getting 3phase and vfd to give variable speed. they make vfd's with 120 volt single phase input up to one horsepower output.
Bil lD.

lowell holmes
08-30-2018, 5:55 PM
I got the saw to run. I am happily flabergasted. It was locked, but after I bumped it, it ran.
Sometimes the woodworking spirit looks after us

Richard Hash
08-31-2018, 2:24 PM
Lowell, I also got flooded by Harvey (20 miles south of Houston), and had a similar experience with an old Emglo twin-hotdog compressor that went totally under. It actually (briefly) started (spewing oil everywhere), so I spent a whole afternoon cleaning it up, replacing the oil, etc. Then it wouldn't kick on at all. I had to spin it up by hand (guessing the shaft flash-rusted) and it's been running ever since - thank God since I've been using the heck out of it to re-install baseboard!

lowell holmes
08-31-2018, 7:25 PM
Richard, we are in Dickinson. I'm sure the conditions were not much different. We were fortunate in that we had FEMA insurance and
a son who is a contractor. Guess who he took care of first.

Bruce Wrenn
08-31-2018, 9:49 PM
You could have had a bridge of rust between rotor and stator. Wouldn't be the first, nor last to have one. Seriously, I would look at replacing both bearings. Most likely uses 6203's. The sealed ones are right at two bucks each thru Fastenal

lowell holmes
08-31-2018, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the advice Bruce. This is the value of this forum where information is available.