PDA

View Full Version : Discounts at trade shows?

bruce edwards
08-29-2018, 11:03 PM
I'm planning on buying a new engraving machine soon and I read an old thread on here about trade show discounts. Is it still worth it to go
to one? The thread mentioned a $6,000 discount on a new Trotec machine. I've never been to a trade show but might go to the one in Vegas in October
if I can save a few thousand.

Scott Shepherd
08-30-2018, 7:52 AM
I can't speak on any numbers, but in my experience, you do get great deals on most any equipment at shows.

John Lifer
08-30-2018, 11:18 AM
Most vendors offer some sort of show discount or special. It may be specific machine, floor item only, or everything they offer.
Shows are good if you want to touch the various machines from the big three. Trotec, ULS and Epilog. A couple of importers might be at a large show, LV might be one, but don't expect to see more than these. And for sure, let them know you are REALLY looking to buy TODAY, not next month, not next year.

Kev Williams
08-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Ask if they're trying to unload any last-year inventory, that could save some money if they are-

bruce edwards
08-30-2018, 6:31 PM
Most vendors offer some sort of show discount or special. It may be specific machine, floor item only, or everything they offer.
Shows are good if you want to touch the various machines from the big three. Trotec, ULS and Epilog. A couple of importers might be at a large show, LV might be one, but don't expect to see more than these. And for sure, let them know you are REALLY looking to buy TODAY, not next month, not next year.

That's the other reason I want to attend the show, to see all the big 3 machines in use. Vision engraving and Gravotech will be there too and I like what I've seen of their machines.

Jacob John
08-31-2018, 10:57 PM
Do the Chinese importers usually show up to these shows? I'd like to see a big fiber cutter in action.

Keith Downing
09-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Do the Chinese importers usually show up to these shows? I'd like to see a big fiber cutter in action.

There weren't any Chinese manufacturers at the NBM show last year. Also, even if there were some at future shows, I think there's a pretty good chance they wouldn't be showcasing a large laser that would require protective eye-wear. I only remember seeing one fiber at all last year, and it was a small Trotec that was fully enclosed. (I could be totally wrong though)

Keith Downing
09-01-2018, 1:01 AM
And yes, in answer to the original question, after the show we attended we did get some calls from sales reps offering special pricing. And I've heard many others here comment on show discounts being pretty solid as well.

Jerome Stanek
09-01-2018, 2:00 PM
Yes some Chinese machines are there but they may be out of your league. Bystronics shows as we do their booth last time it was about 200 x 300 and their machines cost a lot like over $100,000

donald bugansky
09-03-2018, 2:15 AM
I agree that buying at the show does save you some money. Trotec did have "show specials" but not on all machines as I purchased a Speedy 300, mainly due to the show special. I was looking hard at the 360 but they didn't have any special pricing.

When you reference $6000 in savings, the numbers get tricky because that is usually against "suggested retail" price and at least from most of the conversations I've had with folks, nobody seems to pay suggested list.

Jerome Stanek
09-03-2018, 7:44 AM
If I was thinking of buying I would get a price a little before the show and then get a show price at the show. compare the two

Gary Hair
09-03-2018, 11:22 AM
If I was thinking of buying I would get a price a little before the show and then get a show price at the show. compare the two

In theory that would show you how much they are discounting at the show, but often times they will make price adjustments as well as throwing in accessories and/or shipping, so you are never really comparing apples to apples. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it may not give you as much info as you might think.

Jerome Stanek
09-04-2018, 8:08 AM
Even if they throw in some stuff you can see if the deals are really that good. Also at the some shows It may cost you to get the item loaded as the drayage fees may not apply to second carrier loading. The companies that I worked for only did trade show displays builds setup and tear down. We had our own trucks to ship the displays.