PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw model question

Greg Parrish
08-29-2018, 4:23 PM
As I’ve been researching planer/jointers and ending up ordering a Felder/Hammer product, it got me to the decision of replacing my cabinet saw next with a slider from Hammer or Minimax.

As such, it also got me wondering if there is anything to be gained with the Hammer or Minimax bandsaw over my Grizzly G0513X2F? Anyone owned both the grizzly and then the s8milar sized euro saw? Other than paint color matching would I gain any appreciable features? The slider is an easy one for me to see the benefits to me over my current saw, but other than color I wasn’t sure how the bandsaws might differ.

Thanks for any thinking points.

Van Huskey
08-30-2018, 1:53 AM
Of the currently produced 24" and smaller saws you are likely to see in a hobby shop the Centauro built Minimax saws are simply the best. The ACM built Laguna HD saws and the Felder X10 series saws are very good but simply not as stiff or as heavily built. They both offer a ceramic guide either std or optional but Space Age Ceramics (which makes the Laguna inserts) makes a retrofit kit for the Minimax saws and so does Laguna. The 513/514 Grizzly saws are not in the same class and you need to move up to the 636/701 saws for there to even be a salient discussion. There was a time when these saws (636/701) were priced well below the Minimax saws but currently the price difference has gotten pretty small. If you decide you don't need/want the MM or Laguna/Felder level of saw the 513 and 514 are due a look, while there was a time not long ago the 513/514 saws were the best value in the sub-$2k range the Rikon 10-342/10-347 and Laguna 18BX have taken over as the value leaders at that price point IMO.

Note you mention Hammer as opposed to Felder and Felder does start at 20" the Hammer N series saws are not in the same class as the heavier saws I mentioned. I used to be a real fan of the N4400 but now that the price is $3k it just doesn't represent much value to me, the same goes for the Minimax S45.

If you want the best small(ish) bandsaw you can buy call Sam Blasco and order a Minimax, if the budget or other considerations don't allow are you simply don't need that much saw then there are a lot of options.

I should point out $3-4K will buy a LOT of saw on the used market. There is very little commercial or industrial demand for vertical wood bandsaws so some of the best saws ever made can be found dirt cheap if you are willing to deal with the logistics.