PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me on how to connect the laser machine to an exhaust fan CORRECTLY?

Byron Lu
08-29-2018, 3:38 PM
I just got a new G. WeiKe 100W CO2 LC1390 laser set up in the room. Their tech support is a joke and there is NO manual whatsoever about the machine.

I am attaching two photos I snagged from the rear bottom of the machine. There are two vent holes. One is straight-down 6" duct stud (for connecting and clamping) - which I think should be connect to inlet of a blower. The second 6" vent hole is more recessed under the cutting support platform - which I think may be for returned air pull-in?

But I am not sure whether I got the above right. So please help! Thx.

John Lifer
08-30-2018, 11:35 AM
My Ray Fine 1390 came with a plastic duct connected from the back of the moving platform thru the hole in the lower rear of the machine. It's about 3 feet long (probably a meter) and I connect flex to it to carry on outside. Mine has a hole where yours has the hose connection (left side of your picture) that you could connect to pull from above the platform all across the rear. I taped mine up (across the upper grate along the back) just to try and make sure any pull went down.

If you connect to the back connection, the exhaust would pull across and back, or even back and UP if your platform is lowered. This might be better than down, but I'm not convinced of that as if I'm vector cutting, the air is blowing DOWN and thru the work. And exhaust would be naturally better going down. There really is no way to get a Y in there, that would be another solution..... I would probably put it in the platform hole.

Byron Lu
08-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Thanks John for your help. Interesting that you mentioned "Y" connection - Do you mean I can pull air from BOTH the "above-platform" hose connector AND "under-platform" connector the same time. While the machine is not completely sealed all over (with cracks between side panels), where the compensated air would come from if I suck air from both holes into the exhaust fan?

Thanks again. Any other experienced people who can help too?

Kev Williams
08-30-2018, 1:01 PM
IF-- one of the ports will draw smoke across the top of the table rather than below the table, then use that port for RASTER ENGRAVING--

IF-- the other port will draw smoke down under the table, then use that port for CUTTING.

What I would do:

First, get a pair of 6" to 4" duct reducers, attach to both ports-

get some 4" flex hose, connect a length of hose to each port,
at the other end of each hose add a blast gate (these are $3 at Harbor Freight):

then connect the hoses to the blower via a Y connector.

This allows full control over your smoke extraction :)

Byron Lu
09-01-2018, 4:49 PM
Thank you so much Kev. This is really helpful for a newbie like me. Greatly appreciate this!