PDA

View Full Version : Lamp Talble

bobby higgins
08-28-2018, 10:13 PM
I don't see a section oft he forum designated for introductions so briefly... I am 61 years old. I took an early retirement a few years ago and had nothing to do. Fortunately, I was able go back into the workforce, but with retirement not all that far away I wanted to come up with a hobby which would take up some time.

I have been woodworking since July 2017. Started by building a Paul Sellers workbench. I then spent a good bit of time just practicing making joints, mortise and tenons and dovetails, criticizing my work then throwing them onto the scrap pile. I have a made a couple simple tables and a wall shelf. I am still a long way from being proficient, but feel like I am making progress.

My son gave me the book "Great Designs from Fine Woodworking Furniture". I found the plans for this table in that book. It is my first project with ad rawer. I made several mistakes while making this table, but none I could not recover from and all of them were valuable learning experiences.

Thanks for looking at these pics and if anyone sees anything I did not do the best way or if they have recommendations on how to do things better, I appreciate constructive criticism!

Yonak Hawkins
08-29-2018, 1:16 AM
That's a sweet little table, bobby. I especially like the drawer front with the cherry cock-bead .. very classy.

Phil Mueller
08-29-2018, 8:30 AM
Very nice! You should be proud. Details like the cockbeading and double M&Ts are not the easiest to get right. You did good! Look forward to more of your projects.

And welcome!

Von Bickley
08-29-2018, 8:38 AM
Great looking wood and a great looking table.
Welcome to SMC....

glenn bradley
08-29-2018, 9:10 AM
Recovering from our mistakes along the way teaches us valuable lessons. That table looks like you recovered wonderfully from whatever you ran into. Well done.

Lee Schierer
08-29-2018, 11:43 AM
Very nice project, I like the curly maple on the drawer. Those weren't mistakes they were learning opportunities. Besides if you don't tell anyone, 99% of the people looking at it won't see them.

bobby higgins
09-02-2018, 2:26 PM
Thanks for all of the positive comments! I wanted to build another identical table to refine the process, but I don't need an identical one so in the mean time I am in the process of figuring out what is next. Maybe a chest of drawers.