PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still use a belt sander?

Dave Lehnert
08-27-2018, 11:19 PM
Anyone still use a portable belt sander? Don't look like DeWalt makes one any longer.

My 30 year old Skill belt sander gave up and wondering if I should replace it with a cheap one or something better. Never got used much but handy when needed.

Doug Garson
08-27-2018, 11:41 PM
I've got an old Black and Decker screamer, hate it but if I need to remove a lot of material in a hurry I pull it out. Can't help you on what's good to buy now as mine is 30+ years old.

Osvaldo Cristo
08-28-2018, 12:00 AM
I've got an old Black and Decker screamer, hate it but if I need to remove a lot of material in a hurry I pull it out. Can't help you on what's good to buy now as mine is 30+ years old.

Same here. I purchased both a B&D belt sander and a Bosch random 1/3 sheet sander at the first years of 1990s. The sheet sander was replaced by another one last year after fail beyond repair.

I have no ROS. Probably a good ROS could replace both my belt and random shhet sanders...

John Goodin
08-28-2018, 12:14 AM
I bought a Makita recently to replace an old metal craftsman from the 60s. I love it and use it quite a bit. IIRC, the Mikita was one of the better reviewed belt sanders on the market.

Mike Kees
08-28-2018, 12:51 AM
I agree with John.The only other one that I would look at would be a Porter Cable. The makita is lighter and the Porter cables are heavy and have strong motors. Mike.

Warren Lake
08-28-2018, 1:35 AM
have a Rockwell 3 x 21 with about 40 years on it sometimes tortured being used when there should have been a stroke sander doing the work. Only repair the on off switch, put a heavy duty one in. I like the balance of it. Porter Cable is the new version that looks the same but likely lighter so inside not all the same but probably fairly close. There were some really good older US tools made this one being one.

392348 392349

Rich Engelhardt
08-28-2018, 4:48 AM
Back in the 80's, when I worked for Builder's Square, the Makita sales rep would do a demo with the Makita belt sander(s).
He'd plug it into a couple of 100 foot extension cords, sit on it, and ride it across the floor.
I'm guessing that he weighed about 175 pounds or so.

My belt sander is a 3x21 B&D "Dragster". I bought it for one simple reason.....the nose fit under the bottom of a railing on a deck I had to sand down.
I worked to daylights out of it sanding down a couple of 200 square foot decks.

FWIW - the last deck I sanded down, I went with my 5" DeWalt ROS and my 6" Ridgid ROS. They both worked as well as the belt sander.
My "vote" is - forget about replacing it since the newer random orbital sanders can do almost as well.
Also - the Makita is a little over $200. Were I to sink that much into a sander, that's as limited as a belt sander, I'd think long and hard about putting that money towards a Festool Rotex.

Bill Adamsen
08-28-2018, 7:07 AM
I have several 4x24 and 3x21 units ... Bosch for the former and Ryobi for the latter. Typically I reach for the Festool Rotex before using a belt sander. For me, that decision is likely as much about dust collection and available abrasives as how the tool performs. For most projects the belt sander would likely work as well if not better.

I'd probably look to buy a good used one locally. I see a number of Makita and PC 3x21 units listed locally for $50 +/-.

andy bessette
08-28-2018, 8:38 AM
Love my Bosch 3 x 21.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-28-2018, 9:00 AM
I have the classic old PC sander, it's one tough machine. Got it for floors, doubt it'll ever get much use in the woodshop.

Thomas L Carpenter
08-28-2018, 9:04 AM
I replaced an old Craftsman 4 inch wide with a new Hitachi 3 inch wide. The 4 inch belts were getting hard to find locally and it was as old as the hills so I replaced it. Other than being much heavier, i still like the Craftsman because, for me, it's much more stable and less likely to gouge the stock. Don't use either one often.

Dick Mahany
08-28-2018, 9:08 AM
Makita 9924DB here. At least 25 yrs old and doesn't get as much use as in the past. That is about to change as my next project is to build a bench holder for inverted use. Although a somewhat limited use tool, there just isn't a substitute for one when you need it.

Stan Calow
08-28-2018, 9:38 AM
I use mine about once a year, usually for trimming end grain that is in a place not easily planable. So the old USA Skil I bought at garage sale for $10 is just right. I would look for another garage sale if ever needed to replace it.

Dave Sabo
08-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Given the age of Dave's sander I'm guessing it's the lightweight 7313 with a 3 x 18" belt. That was a pretty good sander considering the plastic case and lightweight nature.

If that indeed is what you have , then you should try and find a Makita 9911. They sold for $99 at the Depot for a long time but have been discontinued by Makita for the U.S. market. That is the closet belt sander to what you had and is a good performer to boot.

Jim Becker
08-28-2018, 11:00 AM
I have a Bosch 3x21 and have used it maybe five times over the nearly two decades I've owned it. Two or so of those times, it was clamped up-side-down in my bench vice and used for "stationary" shaping before I bought a combo sander...which also is rarely used. Nice to have, but I could live without either it if necessary for the work I tend to do.

Bill McNiel
08-28-2018, 11:37 AM
I have been using a belt sander for a very long time (50+ years). I am very comfortable using one and do so often, both in general building and infurniture making. Currently have a PC 3x24 that gets used on virtually every large slab after the router sled.

Warren Lake
08-28-2018, 11:38 AM
"for the work I tend to do"

and there lies the answer to many of these posts. used lots or hardly ever when it does a function you need to do there is no question about having one.

Mel Fulks
08-28-2018, 12:31 PM
I used to sand a lot of house entry doors with a 4 inch Porter Cable. Sand the stiles first, then rails ,then muntins. Then orbital sand. I can do that faster than two guys using several grits and numerous passes through wide belt. This method avoids leaving cross grain scratches or hard to sand "steps" at joints.

Bruce Wrenn
08-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Own two of the PC 3 X 21 ones. They can't be beat for bringing two surfaces to an even level. Since slowing down of my business, I don't use them as often. Learned many years ago to not buy extra belts, but buy them as needed.

Warren Lake
08-28-2018, 12:57 PM
geez Mel what an old school guy :) yeah aggree, and ive tons of smaller doors on my stroke sander as well, rails first then styles then over it with a random then fast straight by hand depending on the finish to follow. there will be minimal cross grain where the rail and style meet from the stroke but cleans up fast and easy with the random. You have to have some feel for both of those. I use a finer belt than normal for that, 150 or 180 on the stroke if im remembering correctly. Get what you are saying about the joints Bruce but stroke sander belts come in tens usually. Ive had 3 x 21 blow apart but not many stroke sander belts for whatever reason and ive got some where i bought large quantities years back that are fine. They had a few ways or got better at making those joints.

Mel Fulks
08-28-2018, 2:06 PM
Warren has me beat with that stroke sander. I can't do much with them. Years ago I ordered some belts for one,about 29 feet. Twice they sent me belts 29".

Bill White
08-28-2018, 2:47 PM
My OLD Ryobi 3 x 21 just won't die, and I've used the heck out of it.

Warren Lake
08-28-2018, 2:56 PM
6 x 309", I can forecast the weather from how they curl, more accurate than the meteorological society and maybe even Grannies weather beetle

scott lipscomb
08-28-2018, 3:43 PM
Yep-got one of the PC 4x24s. Super tough tool. I mostly use it these days clamped upside down in the vise for rough shaping tool edges, but can also get my kitchen knives pretty sharp with 1000 grit in about 30 seconds.

Its made appearances on floors and slabs, too.

Jon Nuckles
08-28-2018, 6:16 PM
PC 3x21 that I've had since the 80s or very early 90s. I bring it out when I want to make a quick divot in a table top or some other project that I've invested a lot of time in.

Jerome Stanek
08-28-2018, 6:23 PM
I use mine all the time it's a PC 3/21. The trade show companies that I worked for had many belt sanders as they worked great to even out the wall panels that they build.

Mike Cutler
08-28-2018, 7:38 PM
I have a late 80's early 90's PC 3x21.
Most every project it makes at least an appearance or two.
You can hide a lot of mistakes with one. You can really mess things up with one too.;)

johnny means
08-28-2018, 8:35 PM
I like edge sanding large tabletops and such with mine. I bolt an electric planer fence on the side to keep things square.

Mike O'Keefe
08-29-2018, 12:40 AM
I also have a Bosch. Mainly used on unruly cutting boards. Mike O'Keefe

marlin adams
08-29-2018, 1:35 AM
I still use them in fact I just bought a porter cable compact belt sander I luck out since porter cable discontinued them. I love the heck out of it.

Larry Edgerton
08-29-2018, 6:25 AM
All old Porter Cables, 3x21, 3x24, and 4x24. 3x24 whisper series is the nicest but not sure if it still made.

Cary Falk
08-29-2018, 10:58 AM
I have a Makita 3"x18", a Makita 4"x24", and a Porter Cable 371K. Every one has it's place.