PDA

View Full Version : shaper spindle lock spacer?

andy photenas
08-27-2018, 6:51 PM
Hello all, I bought a used 3 hp shaper its older and was missing the spacers that go with the spindle. It also has no bolt or nut on the top to fasten the bit onto the spindle.
I was able to find spacers that fit the 3\4 size but im not sure of safety.
The top of the spindle has to parallel chunks tanken out of the spindle. I have other shapers that use a spacer that has too walls on the inside to fill this space and not allow it to spin is my guess. I cant seem to find a spacer online that does this and wonder if i even need a lock spacer on the top?

Mel Fulks
08-27-2018, 7:14 PM
If I understand correctly ...you only need another nut or fitted washer if you are using clock wise rotation.

Mike Cutler
08-27-2018, 7:16 PM
Andy

What model shaper did you buy?
The description sounds correct, at least for some shapers. My Delta 3 HP shaper spindles are as you describe.
The "parallel chunks" taken out fit a 5/8" wrench used to back up the wrench for the nut. There is also a slot that runs through all of the threads for a keyed lock washer.
A photo would definitely help, as there are more than a few designs of shaper spindles.

Warren Lake
08-27-2018, 7:52 PM
photo, mine are all different, does it reverse

Bill Dufour
08-27-2018, 10:35 PM
My Grizzly has the top oval shape for a 10mm wrench. But it also has a toothed washer so there is no torque on the nut. It has a keyway cut the full length of the spindle. I do not see how a slotted washer could be engaged by threads or is the spindle threaded along the oval.
Bill D.

Bill Dufour
08-27-2018, 10:38 PM
reading again do you mean there are no male threads on the spindle only female? you will need a heavy washer under that bolt to spread the load. I do not think the spacer needs to have more then a straight hole.
Before hte net I could not find one for my Sears shaper. So I got a smaller washer and filed it to fit.
Bil lD

andy photenas
08-28-2018, 9:23 AM
Thanks everyone for all this great input I'll attempt adding a picture of this now.392360 hi392360

Rod Sheridan
08-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Andy, who makes the shaper?

Get a parts list and order what you need.............Regards, Rod/

andy photenas
08-28-2018, 1:29 PM
I did a temp that it's an old old jet and they said it's an obsolete part and it's no longer made.

Bill Dufour
08-28-2018, 1:33 PM
How would you stop the spindle from turning while tightening or loosening the bolt? Do you need a wrench under the table? Is it a spindle that can be switched out for another diameter easily? if so switch it to a more modern design.
Bill D.

Rod Sheridan
08-28-2018, 1:54 PM
I did a temp that it's an old old jet and they said it's an obsolete part and it's no longer made.

Is a parts drawing available?