PDA

View Full Version : Old Old Paint

Tom Bender
08-27-2018, 6:22 AM
I have a bunch of Testor's model paints from my youth. They have been in the bottles for over 50 years. Had occasion to use a couple of them recently and they are good as new! Wish we could still get such great paint.

Tom Bender
08-27-2018, 6:25 AM
Wait! I just googled it and found what looks like the same product. It may be that it is still the same. Have to try some.

Jim Becker
08-27-2018, 8:47 AM
Testor's was the "go to" in my competitive model car building days back in the 1970s. They are very much still in business. Some formulas may have changed since "back in the day" and they certainly have a bunch of newer products, too.

Tom M King
08-30-2018, 3:50 PM
I entered my first model car building contest in 1958, when I was 8 years old. Changed to building telescopes in 1963. I used to glue thread to motors for spark plug wires, and use paper clips to make hinges for working doors that would open. I remember well those little glass bottles of Testors paint.

My allowance was 75 cents a week. The first two weeks allowance bought the car kit (think they were a buck and a quarter), and then accumulated tools and supplies after that by saving. I won every contest I entered. My Parents sold our house, and everything that was in it when I was away at College, so the trophies, and cars ended up getting tossed.

Mel Fulks
08-30-2018, 5:45 PM
Tom,it's easy to sympathize with the loss of your models. I would have real hard time with that. I'm sure they were well done. Perhaps they will turn up at Sotheby's!

Jim Becker
08-30-2018, 9:21 PM
My Parents sold our house, and everything that was in it when I was away at College, so the trophies, and cars ended up getting tossed.

Wow..."I resemble that remark". My trophies and award winning models also disappeared while I was in college, albeit a "few" years later in the late 1970s. I don't know if you remember an outfit called Auto World out of Scranton PA, but my most prized model was a really nice rendition of their CanAm car including full paint match and custom decals/lettering, "wiring and hoses", etc. I can almost cry when I think about what probably happened to this stuff while I was unavailable to intervene, but I do believe it was accidental, not on purpose. I don't even have any photos. :(