PDA

View Full Version : Buck Knife

lowell holmes
08-26-2018, 11:21 PM
I recently went looking for a pocket knife and found one. It is a nice three bladed Buck.
It is really sharp and nice to use. I've always carried a pocket knife. For a kid brought
up in Oklahoma, a knife was a necessity.
I was looking at it tonight and saw that it was made in China.:confused:
It is a good knife, but I remember when the good stuff was made in the United States.
Boy, we have fallen.:(

Jim Koepke
08-27-2018, 11:44 AM
That is strange about a decent knife from China. All of the Swiss Army copies from China that have crossed my path are crap.

My favored knife for in the pocket is a small Swiss Army knife with scissors, toothpick, tweezers, fingernail file and blade.

There is also a single blade Boker (iirc) knife that gets carried when my day calls for something bigger.

jtk

Pete Taran
08-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Best everyday made knives are by Kershaw if you ask me. I have several. The junkyard dog is my favorite though. All assisted opening and all made in 'Murica!

Tony Wilkins
08-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Case and I think Buck still make some knives in America but you have to research.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-27-2018, 11:56 AM
I recently went looking for a pocket knife and found one. It is a nice three bladed Buck.
It is really sharp and nice to use. I've always carried a pocket knife. For a kid brought
up in Oklahoma, a knife was a necessity.
I was looking at it tonight and saw that it was made in China.:confused:
It is a good knife, but I remember when the good stuff was made in the United States.
Boy, we have fallen.:(

I have always bought Myerchin sailing knives. They were made from quality 440 stainless steel for the blade, and quality stainless for the body that I believe is 316. The new ones are being made overseas- I believe in Japan. The stainless they are using rusts much more easily. My classic Myerchin has been on countless kayaking, sailing, and even diving voyages, and has no rust. My new one gets washed down with fresh water if ever in salt, and it rusted the first year I had it. I have now swapped to the titanium version, and I do very much like it- especially in that they have added a thumb grip that helps with one-handed opening. I just wish they would make them like they used to.

My issue with China is that their standards are just not as high for their metals. Also with manufacturing, I have a number of friends that have contracted manufacturing out of China, and the story is always the same- they would send them a perfect sample product, but after the first production run everything went downhill with quality. I try to stick with American or British steel when I have a choice.

lowell holmes
08-27-2018, 12:48 PM
In today's world, it is difficult to know where something you are buying originated.
It make me sad.

lowell holmes
08-27-2018, 12:50 PM
This knife is not a copy of a Buck, It is a Buck. Oh well.:confused:

steven c newman
08-27-2018, 1:13 PM
Have two pocket knives...
Had to retire the bottom one...
The Made in China steel was worn out...after about...5+ years...
Have no idea where the other one was made....single blade lockback. No stamp of any sort on it.

Don't even remember where I got it....yard sale, maybe? Been a good one.

Barney Markunas
08-27-2018, 1:58 PM
Things may have changed since the last time I went shopping but not too long ago Buck had some models that were still US made and others that were made offshore. You need to snoop a bit to see which is which.

I think Case is still making knives in Pennsylvania. They make a very handy little single lock blade that holds a pretty good edge and is light enough I barely notice it. Big enough to do most of what I ask of it and not likely to run afoul of any length or assisted opening regs. I just need to remember to check my pockets before I go to the airport or a stadium.

Sadly I believe Queen closed up shop in Titusville earlier this year.

Dave Zellers
08-27-2018, 2:55 PM

I've had that knife for about 2 years now- really like it.

Hardly ever use the two small blades though.

Ted Phillips
08-27-2018, 3:26 PM
I've been a big Spyderco fan for over 30 years. They operate a factory out of Golden CO where they produce a number of their knives. But like many other large scale tool companies, they outsource some of their production to qualified manufacturers in other countries - such as Taiwan, Japan, Italy, and China. Spyderco is very demanding about quality and you can read Sal Glesser's (the owner) thoughts on how he selects his manufacturing partners on their web site.

The world is a big place - and there are quality manufacturers all across the globe. Just never forget that you get what you pay for...

lowell holmes
09-01-2018, 6:40 PM
I also have a steel handled Gerber with a clip on it that is extremely sharp. It is a gift from a son-in-law after I had to
abandon a knife at the Alamo Dome in San Antonio. I went into an event with it in my pocket and they confiscated the knife.

Lee Schierer
09-01-2018, 8:20 PM
Case and I think Buck still make some knives in America but you have to research.

Case knives are still made in Bradford, PA. I have three Buck Cadet knives, the smaller brother of the Stockman, that were made in the USA, one belonged to my Dad and I liked it so well that I purchased one for myself. I thought I had lost it so I purchased another one and then inherited the one from my Dad.

Bruce Haugen
09-01-2018, 11:02 PM
I also have a steel handled Gerber with a clip on it that is extremely sharp. It is a gift from a son-in-law after I had to
abandon a knife at the Alamo Dome in San Antonio. I went into an event with it in my pocket and they confiscated the knife.

I’ve made two overseas trips in the last few years, leaving my pocket knives at home. I felt absolutely naked. I’ve had a knife in my pocket for nearly 60 years.

michael langman
09-02-2018, 11:22 AM
I bought a Buck 301, similar to Lees ,but without the curve in the body, at the ships store while in the Navy. Made in USA back then, and it has much sentimental value to me. It is still in like new condition and stays sharp for quite some time. I have lost it a few times and fretted for days over it. Found it later and was so relieved. I bought it's smaller cousin at Walmart and it was made in china. Stays sharp, but does not have the sentimental value of the 301.
Also bought the Buck 3" lock back knife with a black leather sheath on my ship in the navy. Does not carry well with Carhartt bib overalls, so it has been in the drawer for many years.

michael langman
09-02-2018, 11:25 AM
I see Lees knife is the 301. I must not see the curves in mine as his has. It is a very good all around pocket knife.

Lee Schierer
09-02-2018, 1:23 PM
I see Lees knife is the 301. I must not see the curves in mine as his has. It is a very good all around pocket knife.

Mine has 303 stamped on the blade....the photo above was not of my knife, but is the Stockman.

This is a Cadet 303
It appears that the Buck 303 model is available from several sources as made in the USA according to the photos on their websites. Just do a search for Buck 303 cadet.

Matt Lau
09-05-2018, 1:58 PM
I'm a Spyderco fan.

However, I'll have to disagree about Chinese stuff being all crap.
They build to the spec that the buyer is willing to pay...and most American companies aren't willing to pay much.
In contrast, there's a number of boutique makers that are either from China (Heir audio) or partnered with China (Massdrop, etc).

If you want made in America, either pay extra or go to ebay.

Flamone LaChaud
09-05-2018, 5:50 PM
My SAK has been in my pocket for 32 years, I've had to replace a few springs, the tweezers, and the scales - but the blades and tools are still in very good shape.