PDA

View Full Version : Another just curious thread . . . .

lowell holmes
08-26-2018, 11:12 AM
I am wondering if any of you have been to Harbor Freight.
Every Sunday I read the Harbor Freight insert. I have purchased from them before, I did not
remember what it was for sure. I think that ammo dry box with screwdrivers in it came from
there. I have a nearby son-in-law that frequents their store. If I did not already have a cordless drill
I would go get the 20v lithium cordless drill. If I did no have a pole saw I would get that as well.
We have many mature oak trees with did low hanging branches, which is prevalent in Galveston
County, Texas.

Monday, I will go to their store and check it out. I may go to other stores as well.:rolleyes:

Jason Lester
08-26-2018, 11:27 AM
It's hit or miss with them. I have some really good stuff from them and I have some really bad stuff. Their Pittsburgh line of mechanic's tools are really good. One of my favorite ratchets is a Pittsburgh cushion-grip model. Their power tools are usually a pass for me, although I see they've come out with some better lines now (maybe?) Their rolling tool chests are really nice, equal to Craftsman at least. I keep a full toolbox in my truck and a lot of the hand tools in it came from there. Their moving blankets are nice and cheap along with things like nitrile gloves, rags, brushes, etc.

Simon MacGowen
08-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Got some clamps from them. Nothing serious, but mostly shop supplies. I think there is a list or web posting about what is good and what is junk about their products. Their prices may soon go up if the tariffs on Chinese goods become more widespread.

Simon

glenn bradley
08-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Horror Fright has many diamonds in the rough. I find that if I avoid anything that is supposed to be accurate or hold an edge I am fine. Their f-style bar clamps are a cheap way to get into clamps but, flex pretty well under heavy use. I made bench hold downs out of a few of them.

I use one of their 23 gauge pinners and have for years without issue. I put a drop of oil in it every time I start a session and have never had a bit of trouble with it. I also own a Grex pinner.

I use their "free" tarps for all sorts of things and don't have to feel bad if I leave one out to rot. I also have some of their tool box drawer organizers in play. they have small rare earth magnets packs for a couple bucks that come in handy where I don't want to use the higher end stuff; sticking pencils, rules or small squares to machines for example.

Tom M King
08-26-2018, 11:58 AM
We have towns 25 miles in either direction. One has a Home Depot. The other has a Lowes. Both have a Harbor Freight. I was amazed when they opened the second one. I had resisted going into one forever, but needed a lighter 3' bending brake in a hurry, so I held my nose, and went. There was some assembly required, but the little brake was just what I needed to finish up that job.

Mel Fulks
08-26-2018, 12:11 PM
Last time I was there I was drawn to some real small Chinese magnets. Next time I'll make sure there are no nails in my
pockets!

Bill Houghton
08-26-2018, 12:12 PM
My sense is that the manufacturers they use save money by not having any quality control. Speaking particularly of power tools, if you get one in which every worker involved was doing good work, you'll have a good tool; if you get the one assembled by people who didn't care, you'll probably have something from which the smoke escapes the first time you fire it up.

I can't stand going there because the strong smell of plasticizers throughout the store gives me a headache almost immediately.

Mark Rainey
08-26-2018, 12:13 PM
I do go slumming on occasion. The time & effort wasted on buying and trying to use and then returning a bad tool to save $50 is worrisome. A list of winners & turkeys is a good idea.

Simon MacGowen
08-26-2018, 1:23 PM
I do go slumming on occasion. The time & effort wasted on buying and trying to use and then returning a bad tool to save $50 is worrisome. A list of winners & turkeys is a good idea.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/20-things-diyers-should-always-buy-at-harbor-freight/view-all/
https://www.itsahusbandthing.com/best-harbor-freight-tools/
http://toolsinaction.com/10-best-tools-you-can-buy-at-harbor-freight/

But I have seen something longer and more comprehensive than these lists, compiled by the loyal HF customers!

Whatever you buy there, you won't worry about your neighbors borrowing them!:D

Simon

David Myers
08-26-2018, 2:21 PM
My dad got me a tool chest from there for Christmas a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

For years my father in law would buy his power tools from there. One by one he had to replace them either because they were crap or a component would fail (or both).

From a hand tool standpoint I bought a dead blow mallet from there and a plane shaped object that was my first foray into planes. I managed to overcome that.

I bought evaporust from there several years ago which is a pretty good product as many here can attest. Apparently there's a similar WD40-branded product at the BORG.

Charlie Hinton
08-26-2018, 3:15 PM
(sometimes you need a coupon) but in general HF is the place to buy:
zip ties
nitrile gloves
movers dolly
magnetic parts bowls
pickup bed cargo bars (light duty)

I have some of the F clamps but I never reach for them first
I have 4 Pittsburgh screwdrivers and I like them

I usually just go there specifically for the gloves when they are on a coupon and throw some other junk in the cart as I stroll through the aisles.

Mike Lemon
08-26-2018, 3:19 PM
Their air tools (specifically the compact impact gun) have been getting pretty good reviews. The wrenches and sockets have worked well for me just around the house (though I wish they would sell individuals and 6 points). And I think they are the only ones selling a bearing separator for under a fortune (don't have one, but it looks useful). I am leery of their cheap power tools after getting one (angle grinder) the was assembled improperly and destroyed it's brushes on first use (brushes were nearly the price of the tool). Their larger power tools seem to get OK reviews.

steven c newman
08-26-2018, 3:31 PM
Mainly I go there for the RED sanding belts...do NOT buy the blue ones. Just bought a grinding wheel dresser....seems to work.

About the "smell".......used to that smell, as it is the same as the old Hardware stores had.

May look into the F style clamps.....

Have heard good things about their full sized bandsaw and the lathe....many like the Dust Collector they sell.

Been a while...but use to see some people walk into the store, with a paper bag over their head...so no one else will know they went in.....

Bill Houghton
08-26-2018, 5:14 PM
About the "smell".......used to that smell, as it is the same as the old Hardware stores had.

You must have gone to different hardware stores than I did; I sure don't remember any that smelled like an explosion in a plastics factory.

Simon MacGowen
08-26-2018, 5:39 PM
Been a while...but use to see some people walk into the store, with a paper bag over their head...so no one else will know they went in.....

That could be me!:D

Joking aside, I always find the place I visit well lit and properly organized. The F-style clamps are ok for their prices, but I would avoid the aluminum bar clamps (Dubuque aluminum bar clamps (36" & 48") are the only ones I use).

Simon

Mark Rainey
08-26-2018, 6:42 PM
https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/20-things-diyers-should-always-buy-at-harbor-freight/view-all/
https://www.itsahusbandthing.com/best-harbor-freight-tools/
http://toolsinaction.com/10-best-tools-you-can-buy-at-harbor-freight/

But I have seen something longer and more comprehensive than these lists, compiled by the loyal HF customers!

Whatever you buy there, you won't worry about your neighbors borrowing them!:D

SimonThanks for the lists. And I will loan them out freely!!!

Greg Parrish
08-26-2018, 7:07 PM
The 44”, 56” and 72” tool chests are good for the price.
The nitrile gloves are good for the price.

Frederick Skelly
08-26-2018, 7:11 PM
Have heard good things about their full sized bandsaw and the lathe....many like the Dust Collector they sell.

I've got one of their wood lathes. It's fine for what I need.

steven c newman
08-26-2018, 8:09 PM
Oh....having worked for a long time in both the Polymer and Plastics factories,.....I would know THAT type of smell......and it ain't the same as H-F's

steven c newman
08-26-2018, 8:11 PM
Maybe check out what Paul Sellers does to those bar clamps......to make them work like a bar clamp should....

Jim Koepke
08-26-2018, 8:11 PM
My wife wanted to purchase a dolly/hand truck. None of theirs seemed to be of the quality she wanted. She found a better one for a lower price at Lowes.

We have bought the shipping blankets their.

Of course one time when there wasn't a Harbor Freight in the area my brother led me to getting regular blankets at the Goodwill or other thrift store and use them. My wife was happy for that last time. We use the blankets at times now.

jtk

Noah Magnuson
08-26-2018, 8:29 PM
Their US General tool chests are a bargain and quite good. 95% of the stuff will just frustrate you with the level of fit and finish. I think I have been three times in the last 6 years -- 2 tool chests and a moving flat (4-wheel) dolly.

I hate going there and feel sad for the employees. The toxic fumes from all the third-world adhesives, plastics and whatnot in that place have to be leading them to an early grave.

Simon MacGowen
08-26-2018, 8:43 PM
The toxic fumes from all the third-world adhesives, plastics and whatnot in that place have to be leading them to an early grave.

If there is proof, can the ex-and current employees file a lawsuit against HF?

Simon

steven c newman
08-26-2018, 8:49 PM
In total...22+ years making Rubber hoses of every type......Plastic parts for everything from a price marking gun to the lens in aircraft lights, to the insulator panels in the breaker boxes you wire your shops with (2 yrs+) and 8 years of making P.E.T. bottles that hold your Pepsi products in. NONE of those smells are anything close to H-F's. Well, maybe the EPDM Polymer blends we used for the auto water heater hoses ( that also made excellent garden hoses), but that was more like walking into the local tire center....and getting a whiff of the new tires. Plastics do not "off-gas", the glues are also in sealed packages. About all I smell is the oil/grease used to keep the metal from rusting.

The "early grave" would be more from the smoking outside the building, than working inside.

Greg Parrish
08-26-2018, 8:57 PM
smells like cosmoline in there to me.

Simon MacGowen
08-26-2018, 8:59 PM
Maybe check out what Paul Sellers does to those bar clamps......to make them work like a bar clamp should....

I watched that video soon after it came out, and was tempted to do just that. In the end, I sold all my imported (Taiwan and/or China) aluminum bar clamps, and topped up whatever money I recovered to buy all the Dubuque clamps. For cabinet/case work, they are my first choice, followed by the much heavier Bessey type parallel clamps. I actually have enough clamps, but every time I finish a project with them, I have an urge to get more! They are that good.

In one interview, the Dubuque owners (husband and wife, I think) said the demand for their clamps was huge, but they refused to expand their production line to catch up with it. They chose lifestyle over more business revenue. Good for them.

Simon

Noah Magnuson
08-26-2018, 8:59 PM
In total...22+ years making Rubber hoses of every type......Plastic parts for everything from a price marking gun to the lens in aircraft lights, to the insulator panels in the breaker boxes you wire your shops with (2 yrs+) and 8 years of making P.E.T. bottles that hold your Pepsi products in. NONE of those smells are anything close to H-F's. Well, maybe the EPDM Polymer blends we used for the auto water heater hoses ( that also made excellent garden hoses), but that was more like walking into the local tire center....and getting a whiff of the new tires. Plastics do not "off-gas", the glues are also in sealed packages. About all I smell is the oil/grease used to keep the metal from rusting.

The "early grave" would be more from the smoking outside the building, than working inside.

I bought a can of all rubber bungees (not stranded, just rubber and hooks) from the local hardware store. They had replaced the prior brand with some Chinese import. We cracked the seal on the can and had to move the whole contraption out of our huge shop with open bay doors for several days before they could come inside. Maybe you just don't smell as well as the old days, but there was only "rubber" in the plastic container and some metal hooks. It was horrendous. Off-gassing, airborne particles, who cares. It's toxic. Perhaps you should read about the conditions of factory workers in China working with stuff that has been banned here for decades before dismissing the seriousness of it.

And yes, they do off-gas, particularly dibutylphthalates and DEHP from PVC based plastics.

steven c newman
08-26-2018, 9:28 PM
Like all the PVC plumbing in your house?

Was put off more by the smell of Korean Cole slaw that the workers were having for lunch....used to get the DNR Polymers from Japan.....Nitrile was bad enough...Blended that with SBR and a dab of Poly iso, to make fuel lines. There was a type of rubberized plastic we used....Hypalon....nasty stuff. Worst part? To get rubber hose black ( instead to that ugly greenish/yellow) you added as much Carbon Black to the mix as it could hold......300 pound batch would have over 90 pounds of the stuff. Was hard to use the paper timecards to clock in with, without getting your fingers black.

Yep..the Cosmoline is about all I smell at H-F.

Spent some time working at a wharehouse for a Honda supplier....US made parts, mind you....and had trouble with the smells of the dunage when they came back from the two auto plants in my area....if that is how a new Honda smells like....don't ever want one. Smells worse than H-F ever could.....

Dave Lehnert
08-26-2018, 11:15 PM
Just like any store, Some things I will buy, other things I will not.
I like Harbor Freight. I have no problem shopping there. Some people seem to think they will lose their man card or something if seen there. :rolleyes:
I have some HF tools at work. One is a center punch I purchased in 2006. Still going strong. Guys at work is always borrowing it.
All of us at work each have the HF $99 black tool cart with drawers. They are 3 years old now. all are in good shape.

I like them for tools I need but are not used often. Sometimes you just don't need to spend big money on a tool. For example..........
Years ago I purchased a Milwaukee saws-all. Paid a lot of money for it. No question it is a quality tool. Bet I have only used it 3 times in 10 years.
Looking back, I should have just purchased a $20 HF and used the extra money for lumber or ?????? Yes, I have used the HF Saws-all. It is very low end compared to the Milwaukee but it would have worked for what I need.

My belt sander just gave up and want to get a new one. I looked at HF but decided I want something better. I judge each tool, not what store it came from.

Simon MacGowen
08-26-2018, 11:27 PM
Exactly.

I like them for tools I need but are not used often. Sometimes you just don't need to spend big money on a tool..

In my shop, I have some Ferrari-class tools but also some Kia-level shop aids. I use a grinder once or twice a year, that is why it has for over 10 years, even though it is as cheap as money could buy.

Simon

William Adams
08-27-2018, 8:56 AM
Smell ~= off-gassing rubber/plastic/cheap grease and is ghastly.

I buy / have tried a couple of things:

- 18 compartment small organizers w/ a 20/25% off coupon when I'm passing by and use them to organize pretty much all small/specialty hardware I use, and have been expanding them to pretty much everything else gradually (I also use them to organize my archery gear and along w/ the largest of the 4 nesting toolboxes, that finally got that sorted out) --- they have some other plastic organizers, and I really wish that they would standardize on this size and that the other organizers would be compatible with it --- probably I'm going to have to make something myself eventually. EDIT: One concern is that some lots have a flaw in the molding, the left hinge will come loose too easily --- a bit of care in opening/closing will keep it from being a problem
- Windsor Designs plane (#33?) (mine was made in India) --- decent casting and machining, blade as okay, tuned up well enough to use for rough work, I think w/ a bit of patience could've used more generally
- 4-in-1 screwdriver --- mine is an older one with the solid orange plastic handle --- works well enough, the new one w/ the blue handle w/ textured insert doesn't seem to be as nice, and is tacky/unpleasant to hold/use IME
- 4 nested toolboxes --- the 3 larger ones are decent, and okay for light use, the smallest one internally isn't all that great (give to the kids for their art supplies/toys)
- clamps of various sorts --- usually okay, just not as nice to use as other brands --- buy w/ a coupon or when I'm expecting rough use
- cloth tool bags --- inspect before buying --- usually if the stitching is okay and the zippers work okay it'll function well enough
- self-centering dowel jig (my first foray 'cause money was tight and Woodcraft was out of stock) --- had to be disassembled, cleaned of excess grease/oil, adjusted, and worked well enough, save for the two bushings which were drilled off-center and the markings not being properly aligned on the holes --- bought a bushing set and use a flashlight to ensure it's lined up correctly
- flashlights --- these have been hit or miss --- the blue ones work well, the small black aluminum ones IME have batteries which will corrode and go bad

My dad had bought a bunch of their tools (he couldn't resist a bargain), hole saw sets, weird screwdriver bit sets/handles, a punch set, the 115 drill bit set --- nothing really stood out, and a lot of it was broken/mismatched

Mike Cutler
08-27-2018, 6:12 PM
Like others, I have some of their products. I have no issues going in one. It's just another store to me.
I have their brake caliper kit, pneumatic brake fluid extractor, Low profile aluminum jack, some air tools, and their small walnut blaster for de-carbing intake valves.Oh yeah, I also have one of their hydraulic carts. I love that thing. MY first HF purchase 6 years ago, or so.
Do your research and they have more than a few products that would serve the occasional back yard mechanic.