PDA

View Full Version : War Hero Released from Active Service

Mark Blatter
08-25-2018, 9:38 PM
RIP to John McCain. He served our nation well as a Navy Pilot and maintained his honor, integrity and the respect of those he served with as a POW. As his father was an admiral, CINC PAC Flt as I recall, he was offered early release by the NVA, but he refused. He ended up being a POW for 5 1/2 years. I do not want to get into any politics with this post, but do want to offer respect to someone who served our country with great honor.

As a former Naval Officer, I say Fair Winds and Following Seas shipmate. You will be missed.

Yonak Hawkins
08-25-2018, 10:15 PM
John McCain was definitely a class act and a real patriot.

julian abram
08-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Amen. Certainly don't agree with all his political decisions but have a mountain of respect for his service to our country. He certainly is a true American Hero in my book.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-25-2018, 10:53 PM
I can't think of any other person of my generation for whom I had more respect or who inspired me more than John McCain. We have lost a national treasure, IMO.

Doug Garson
08-26-2018, 1:00 AM
A true hero, he will be missed.

Jim Becker
08-26-2018, 8:39 AM
While I clearly identify with the "other side of the isle", I've long admired John McCain as a hero, statesman and man of honor. He will be missed.

Frederick Skelly
08-26-2018, 9:58 AM
A brave and honorable American. Rest in Peace Mr. McCain.

Bruce Wrenn
08-26-2018, 9:28 PM
While I clearly identify with the "other side of the isle", I've long admired John McCain as a hero, statesman and man of honor. He will be missed.Wife and I's exact feelings. We need more like him. He WILL BE MISSED!

Mark Bolton
08-26-2018, 9:38 PM
As a clear left leaner there hasn't been many in my recent history that I respected more than this guy. A human being I would have been humbled beyond belief to meet.

I shed several tears reading this. 392273

Rod Sheridan
08-27-2018, 8:00 AM
While I clearly identify with the "other side of the isle", I've long admired John McCain as a hero, statesman and man of honor. He will be missed.

Jim, that describes my feelings as well.

He's well know in Canada for all his contributions to your country, along with his sense of honour, fair play, and sometimes his sense of humour.

He'll be missed by people in many countries.........Rod.

Mike Null
08-27-2018, 8:12 AM
I never had any doubt where John McCain stood. He was American first, above all else.

I am also on the other side of the aisle but McCain served with an uncommon honor and we shall miss him.

Julie Moriarty
08-27-2018, 10:11 AM
While John McCain and I often had differing opinions, I always respected his strength to stand up for what he believes. I never really got the "maverick" description though. To me, his refusal to march in lock step with the rest spoke more about courage of conviction than being a maverick. That's a trait we should all strive for. Let's hope more will follow his example and fill the void his passing left behind.

michael langman
08-27-2018, 11:03 AM
What a wonderful tribute to John McCain Mark B.
Thankyou for posting it.
It helps to relieve the sorrow of a true American hero who will be missed.

Jim Becker
08-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Julie, if I'm not mistaken, the "Maverick" thing came about early on during officer training when he was apparently a little "mischievous" or something like that...but it certainly applied later on when his own conviction about what was the best for our citizens and country were expressed and acted upon, even when it was in opposition of his party or other entities, such as with campaign finance reform and a key vote he made in 2017. His call for civility and order also ranks as "maverick" these days, too.

Dave Anderson NH
08-27-2018, 12:38 PM
I had nothing but the highest respect for the man and freely admit I voted for him twice in the NH primaries. He embodied the qualities of honor and commitment. His willingness to reach out to all will be sorely missed in this age of polarization.

Mike Cutler
08-27-2018, 3:47 PM
I didn't agree with him either, but he had my respect. Same with John Kerry.
They both earned the right to stand on whichever side of the aisle that they believed was correct.

Rick McQuay
08-28-2018, 2:35 AM
Sometimes I agreed, sometimes I didn't agree, with John McCain which in itself says he was his own man. And this country could use more politicians who wore the uniform. I believe he put country before party.

lowell holmes
08-28-2018, 4:05 PM
I read all of the posts in this thread and I agree with all of them.

Bruce Wrenn
08-29-2018, 9:13 AM
What I want to know is where did my post about, White House having to be pressured to lower flags to half staff, go? I guess it didn't fit with someone's political feelings!

Bruce Page
08-29-2018, 1:04 PM
Bruce, I sent you a PM about it on Monday.

Bruce Wrenn
08-29-2018, 3:58 PM
Bruce, under the new format, I had to figure where PM's are now. Also where did thread about how Keith support SMC in future go

Bruce Page
08-29-2018, 4:47 PM
Bruce, SMC has not changed formats. If you are seeing something different you are probably seeing the mobile format. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select vB4 Default Style.
In regards to the funding thread, it had run it’s course.

Ron Citerone
08-29-2018, 6:01 PM
R.I.P. John, you will always be an true American Hero!

Bruce Wrenn
08-29-2018, 9:25 PM
Same computer, but format changed a couple months back. A couple other have also noted this. As for scrolling down to bottom of page and selecting vB4 default style, there is nothing at bottom of page for that. There is log out, full site, and top listed as choices

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2018, 9:46 PM
Bruce,.....at the very bottom of my page is a blue bar. At left edge of that bar is a drop down screen where you can select "vB4 Default Style.

I switched to the "mobile default style" and saw what you are getting. Select "FullSite". Then at the bottom of the page select "vB4 Default Style."

Bruce Wrenn
08-30-2018, 4:36 PM
Bruce,.....at the very bottom of my page is a blue bar. At left edge of that bar is a drop down screen where you can select "vB4 Default Style.

I switched to the "mobile default style" and saw what you are getting. Select "FullSite". Then at the bottom of the page select "vB4 Default Style."Thanks Ken. Selected "full site" and returned to old style format. Maybe there should be a "sticky" somewhere explaining the process, as when my format changed, so did the format for some others.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-30-2018, 4:45 PM
Lee did it yesterday. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?267444-Why-has-the-SMC-format-changed

It's a sticky under Forum Support.

Van Huskey
09-02-2018, 12:20 AM
I am late to the service and like others in the thread we had different basic leanings but I always had the utmost respect for him. I always felt he did what he thought was right the vast majority of the time whether it was politically expedient or not at the time. RIP Senator McCain and thank you for your service both inside and outside our country.

Mel Fulks
09-02-2018, 1:22 AM
I was surprised at the high number of events in different places. But he planned it and his family was able to get through a
pretty taxing schedule. His Mom is a real paragon of dignified composure.

Perry Hilbert Jr
09-02-2018, 4:44 PM
Respect for his sacrifice and military service, yes. Beyond that, it is impolite to speak ill of the dead.

Bruce Wrenn
09-02-2018, 9:09 PM
. Beyond that, it is impolite to speak ill of the dead.You just did!