PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale finds

Richard Hutchings
08-25-2018, 12:24 PM
10 bucks

Jim Koepke
08-25-2018, 1:35 PM
Looks good, if nothing else the handle alone on the plane would sell for more on ebay.

jtk

Richard Hutchings
08-25-2018, 4:06 PM
That plane will be cleaned up and sold down the the road . The other items I can actually use. I have 2 #5s already. Mine has been welded and works great.

Jim Koepke
08-25-2018, 7:52 PM
[edited]
I have 2 #5s already. Mine has been welded and works great.

There are 4 #5s in my shop. More than needed for sure. My feeling about one of them is though it is a decent user it is barely worth what it would cost to ship it.

My wife is thinking about getting a space at an up coming flea market. Maybe it'll go there with an ask of $40, then someone can talk me down. :D

That would mean we could get rid of a lot of stuff we don't need.

jtk

David Myers
08-25-2018, 8:05 PM
Nice haul. The plane and the saw look like they'll clean up nicely.

I also have that push shoe thing. I like it.

Bill Houghton
08-26-2018, 5:32 PM
There are 4 #5s in my shop. More than needed for sure.
I established a basic rule a while back that I would not own more than two examples of a given plane size/style (there are some exceptions allowed): one to use and one if it broke. This has worked fairly well, but I'm now struggling because I inadvertently acquired a second three-patent-dates Stanley No. 4, in addition to the one I already owned; but I hate to give up the Wards Master that I've owned for years, and for which I can tell the where-I-found-it story. The Stanleys are probably better planes, but our long-departed Newfoundland mix dog, Ubu, was there with me when I got it for $2 at a yard sale up the hill, so there's quite a bit of emotion attached to it. Maybe I'll allow an exception here...

As to the other excess that I'd somehow acquired, Habitat's local ReStore got a lot of tools.

Noah Magnuson
08-26-2018, 8:42 PM
I established a basic rule a while back that I would not own more than two examples of a given plane size/style (there are some exceptions allowed): one to use and one if it broke. This has worked fairly well, but I'm now struggling because I inadvertently acquired a second three-patent-dates Stanley No. 4, in addition to the one I already owned; but I hate to give up the Wards Master that I've owned for years, and for which I can tell the where-I-found-it story. The Stanleys are probably better planes, but our long-departed Newfoundland mix dog, Ubu, was there with me when I got it for $2 at a yard sale up the hill, so there's quite a bit of emotion attached to it. Maybe I'll allow an exception here...

As to the other excess that I'd somehow acquired, Habitat's local ReStore got a lot of tools.

Two of a kind is a good rule with tools as it is with pets etc. Three is a gateway number and just opens up the door for easy justification of "What's the difference between 3 and 4, 7 etc.?"

I guess as long as I can have two of each rip/crosscut/tpi configurations with my hand saws I am ok (maybe).

Richard Hutchings
08-27-2018, 5:26 AM
How do you pass up a pile of old saws practically for free. I managed to do it only because I haven't gotten around to cleaning and sharpening the last batch. I didn't even check for names or possible beautiful handles. I just bought the one I thought I could use. It wasn't easy.