PDA

View Full Version : Gmail spam folder full of "unsubscribe" messages

John K Jordan
08-25-2018, 12:56 AM
I rarely but occasionally scan the titles of messages in my Gmail spam folder before sending the whole thing to the bit bucket. Seems like the titles used to be about introducing me to Russian babes or collecting money from someone, then they went to demanding that I quit sending my photos, then to asking if I really am jkjordan.

Now most of the messages in the folder want to know if I want to unsubscribe from something. I haven't checked any but I suspect these are things I've never subscribed to and they just want me to click on some link so I can enjoy some virus or another. If my spam folder has them, I assume others get them too.

I anyone alive so clueless as to actually click on one of these? Some must, or the senders would have probably given up quickly and tried something else.

I am so happy the Google spam filter is as good as it is. I don't think I've had a single spam message in my inbox for years now. I used to get one every six months or so. Google is the only email service I use. Are the other mail services also good at filtering now?

JKJ

Bruce Page
08-25-2018, 1:14 AM
I've seen the same progression in my gmail spam folder. I can't imagine anyone falling for them but some must. Gmail does a great job at catching them. I use MS outlook/Comcast for my primary email. I can't remember the last time I saw any spam with it.

Steve Eure
08-25-2018, 4:41 AM
John, I get that garbage too. One that annoys me is where I receive an email that has my sisters or some other friends name in the title that says "XYZ(fill in the name) thought you might like this". I was suspect so I called my sisters and they informed me they didn't send me anything. Thank goodness Google caught it and directed it into my spam folder.
These people are slick to the point they know who your family and friends are. Gotta be careful. There's a lot of evil lurking around.

John K Jordan
08-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Gotta be careful. There's a lot of evil lurking around.

That's the sad thing, considering all the good there is in the world, all around us.

JKJ

Jim Koepke
08-25-2018, 3:19 PM
Subject - "Thought You Might Like This" - Does anyone actually use this as a subject in emails to friends and family?

It has been used by so many spammers it has likely been black listed by many users.

jtk

Tom M King
08-26-2018, 3:07 PM
I didn't like the new gmail format until I found out that you can empty any folder, like trash, or spam, in just a few clicks by selecting every file in the folder, regardless of how many pages there are. I had not thought to empty my spam folder in a while, and just got rid of 1634 in a few clicks.

John K Jordan
08-26-2018, 3:56 PM
I didn't like the new gmail format until I found out that you can empty any folder, like trash, or spam, in just a few clicks by selecting every file in the folder, regardless of how many pages there are. I had not thought to empty my spam folder in a while, and just got rid of 1634 in a few clicks.

The old Gmail interface also allowed that. Perhaps you had to enable the selection boxes, I don't know.
(The Spam folder (and the Trash folder) have always had a a special control just above the message list to permanently delete all content.)

JKJ