PDA

View Full Version : Laser cutting Isodamp (rubber like material)

Lance Hensley
08-24-2018, 6:27 PM
Does anyone have in experience in cutting Iodamp? It is a rubber like material for vibration isolation and damping. It is 1/4" thick with and without a pressure sensitive adhesive. One side has a protective paper on one side with or without the adhesive.
Seems to cut fairly ease using a Co2 80 Watt laser. The problems I'm having is some flash back marks from the laser bed, edge staining, some burn marks, etc. I have tried different % power, speed, blowing air, etc. Currently, it seems to work the best with the unprotected face down on the laser bed and cut from the protected side, with air flow low, 45% power and 75 mm/sec. It produces quite a bit of smoke but doesn't seem to leave any residue inside the laser but I doubt that with the discoloration I'm getting on the material. Turning it face down seems to take care of the residue staining but still getting some staining and flash back from the bed. Tried to eliminate that by using a plastic grid for florescent lights but better results direct on the black metal grated bed.
Anyone, have any suggestions and/or experience with this material. Much appreciate.

Bill George
08-24-2018, 6:56 PM
Try laying on some of the smaller ceramic tile.

Lance Hensley
08-24-2018, 9:11 PM
Good ideal. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.